Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Feedback On An Idea

Flytyer

I know alot of you are not interested in swaps and there is a fair bit of interest in drbulltrout's contests, I was pondering the idea of doing challenges here on the forum. The basic premise would be that every week or two a minimal list of tying material would be listed and those that participate would create a fly with these materials ; they would also be allowed to add a few materials of their own for their creation. To submit a pattern one would simply just post a photo of their creation. The fly created could be any class of fly; ie emerger, dry, nymph etc.

Let me know what you think and perhaps we'll make this happen. I think this would add more variety of activities here in the tying bench section.

I might be in. Why not opened it up to allow any materials? Just as long as the fly is new...

That could be an option for once or twice but it would fade quickly I think if left open that much all the time. I have some ideeas for options but open to other ideas to extend the potential of this type of challenge.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dennis59

Flytyer I would be interested in something like this also.

The Northern Lights does something like this once a yr. Called the Iron Fly Tyer. We have the winner from the previous yr tie off with 2 other members. As you say a secert material is inturduced and you tie 3 flies which must contian the secert material. You are given a certian amount of time to tie this flies and they must be a dryfly, nymph, & streamer. You then must name each one. They then are judged by 5members of the execative on creativity, name, possible fishability, tying techneque, and if the barb is taken off.

as for material almost anything is a go as long as getting it is easy and enexpensive.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

NLFT&F

• 2 months later...