Fly Fusion Forums

Lack Of Small Fish On The Bow?

reevesr1

Here is a question for you experienced Bow River boys and girls. I have noticed a striking decrease in the amount of small fish I'm catching this spring/summer. Now that could be because I've changed my tactics over last year, but I would still expect to catch some small fish. I am catching almost none, particularly fish <14". Is that normal for this time of year? There seemed to be lots of younger age class fish in the river in the late fall/early winter so I know they must be around. The reason I'm asking is that I take some folks from work from time to time who are pretty new. And while I can generally put them on a few fish, it would be nice to get them some practice on some smaller fish before they hang into an 18" rainbow as their first fish on a fly rod! Though watching a newbie get schooled by a big rainbow is funny, it can be frustrating for the beginner when he continues to break off/loose fish. That and the fact that the presentation can be a bit sloppier for the little guys and still have a reasonable chance at success.

So maybe the first time this question has been asked:

Where can I find some smaller fish?

Guest JayVee
...it would be nice to get them some practice on some smaller fish before they hang into an 18" rainbow as their first fish on a fly rod!

Where can I find some smaller fish?

Wow...what a river! I can support your evidence Rick so I too anxiously await to hear from some of the vets. I have a feeling it has something to do with runoff.

I am seeing a healthy balance of all age classes of fish, including smaller trout. The smaller fish often need to live on the fringes, due to the pressure put on them by the larger fish, who take the best territory. There sometimes are locations that will hold a lot of jeuvenilles.

Come out with me rickr.. I'll get you into some little guys no problem! Or none at all. ;)

Rick, my guess is that your getting better at reading the water.

Birchy,

Any time buddy!

Toolman,

I know that the big guys will be in the prime locations. But I've been trying to cover all of what I consider "fishable" water in most runs. And I really don't want to sound braggy, but I just rarely seem to hook anything small recently. Could just be the locations I'm fishing right now. I actually was a bit concerned. I was thinking Pelicans? But if you're catching all age classes, then it is just probably where I am fishing. I will confess that it has been a bit difficult to force myself to cast more than 15' off the bank! Since you can cover far more water than I with that big stick of yours, have you noticed more smaller fish out further as the big guys have the close in lies locked up?

I'm with Birchy, come with me for small fish or none at all. Found a lot of small fish today within 2-3 feet of the bank at Policeman's flats. Just head noth of the boat launch to the first slow water corner. Could see lots of big fish rising there also just out of my casting reach.

Rick, the smaller trout are usually pushed into the shallow water along the shorelines. When the flows drop back to near normal, the fish will settle in for the summer and there will be areas holding many small trout. I call these areas, nursery runs and usually avoid fishing there, but sometimes when I am swinging flies to the bank, the little guys hit. Last season, there were a lot of small trout settled in the run across from the FC boatlaunch, also in the trib at Mallard point, Bonnybrook, below the Southland bridge etc.

I seem to be seeing a higher ratio of large to small fish as well. Fortunately, it doesn't seem like overall numbers are lower. In fact in general things this year seem better than the previous few.

Guys/Gals,

The reduction of smaller trout in the Bow maybe a direct result of the floods of 2005. Briefly, most of the spawning on the Bow happens in the tributary streams of the Highwood and Sheep. They were hit hard by the flood. I'd expect a nearly complete wipe out of the 2005 year class of trout. Also, the fish in the tribs. don't go to the Bow till they seem to reach about 10" or so. This may explain the reduction of trout in smaller sizes.

This may not be the only explanation. The reduction could be also caused by Big Oil or Global Warming. For Rick, my bet is on Big Oil.

catch ya'

Don

The reduction could be also caused by Big Oil or Global Warming. For Rick, my bet is on Big Oil.

catch ya'

Don

Thanks Don. I thought it may be due to increased catch rates from all those folk using Organic Bamboo Rods! (one of which I wish I had)

One thing I saw last summer around Mac that made me feel good was a cloud of so many fry that the water looked black in section about 3 feet across....Haven't seen the little guys since... I'm out twice a week...

ive bin catchin the little ones hear and there daily forsure..... same with big baitballs of fry.. most are dace n whatnot but i have scooped up some baby trout in teh mix too.. i think its all about where you are fishing and what you got on.. hard for htem little frickers too take down larger flies but bin seeing lots of em on teh end of my line with smaller mayfly and caddis patterns.. like rick said you see a huge influx of smaller fish in the fall and winter.... but they are out there!