Fly Fusion Forums

Leader Question

Alinden

I am just wondering when people replace their leaders. I am new to this sport and have had to cut my leader a few times and it has lost a couple of feet (ish). It was a 9 foot leader. When should I replace it? As well is it a good idea to use a loop to loop connection for leader to tippit or should that always be a knot? I am also thinking that when I replace this leader i am going to use a loop to loop connection to attach my fly line to my leader this time, is that a good Idea. Which brings me to my last question. I have read on here that if you cut your fly line you need to make sure you seal the end with glue or something similar?

I am just wondering when people replace their leaders. I am new to this sport and have had to cut my leader a few times and it has lost a couple of feet (ish). It was a 9 foot leader. When should I replace it? As well is it a good idea to use a loop to loop connection for leader to tippit or should that always be a knot? I am also thinking that when I replace this leader i am going to use a loop to loop connection to attach my fly line to my leader this time, is that a good Idea. Which brings me to my last question. I have read on here that if you cut your fly line you need to make sure you seal the end with glue or something similar?

A leader can last a couple of seasons if treated right. Use a loop to loop to add some tippet to the end. That way you're not cutting into your main leader changing the taper. Change your leader when you start feeling nicks, kinks and abrasions. Or you see sun damage. yes if you cut fly line (I cut mine to achieve custom weights, tapers and end loops.) It should be sealed somehow. Superglue works great along with nail polish etc. If the tip sinks it's waterlogged and often will stay that way.

If you want a leader that lasts and is less subject to abrasion check out furled leaders. They are more expensive (unless like me you make your own) but last much longer. You might also try making your own tapered leaders. They also work great.

Edited by SilverDoctor

SilverDoc, what kind of a rig do you need to make your own furled leaders? I've tied my own tapered knotted leaders, but a furled one? That would be magic.

If you are handy you can make a jig to make em. I usually twist a few during the winter in various sizes. My jig will do a 9 ft. If you search the web I'm sure you can find instructions. It's not hard but takes a bit of time. Lethfisher say's he buys em on ebay for 5 bucks. Great deal. I make avariety of them for dry and wet fly use.

furled leaders are good. but i like the poly leaders a number of comanies make in 5 10 and 15 feet floating ones are great for dryfly fishing . they turn over amazing and you dont halfto fish more than a few feet of tippet off them wich makes casting easy... back too your original question dude i use a tapered leader when nymphing and change it when it bust off..... if you are cutting back and it starts too get pretty short and teh mono is thick you can either use another one or add on some heavier tippet and taper it down yourself too save youa few bucks.. a simple way too make your own tapered leader would too be a 4 3 2 method.... 4 feet of lets say 15lb then 3 feet of 10 lb and 2 feet of 8lb..... streamers i like too go 3 2 1 usually 3 of 25lb 2 of 20lb and 1 of 15lb

You could make a furled leader out of anything; I've tried mono but uni thread is another option I've seen. Poly leaders are quite different - contructed more like a fly line with a core and an outer layer. They have less memory than mono leaders.