Fly Fusion Forums

What Knot ???

Hi, gang.

In the current issue of "Fly Rod and Reel" the cover photo has a cutthroat trout with a beadhead nymph in its mouth. The fly is attached to the line by some kind of looped knot, and I'm wondering what it is.

I always just use the improved clinch, so I'm also wondering what the advantage of a loop knot might be.

Any answers?

:-?

Pat

Thanks for the reply, BigBad. It looks like the Uni-knot would work, but in the one pictures in the magazine, the tag end points toward the fly, not away from it like the Uni-knot shown in your site. That said, the Uni-knot looks like it would give a bit more action to thew fly.

Once again, many thanks!

Pat

Works well for chironomids in the waves, as it allows the fly to slide up and down the loop, giving it action. I just make a figure 8 loop, never had one break

Pat responds: "Duh. Figure 8 loop?"

wallowing in ignorance

pat

I looked through Taco's knots, and I don't see a simple loop.

I did look and can't find it. Very easy to tie however.

Step 1: Tie a simple overhand loop in the line about 6" from the end.

Step 2: Slip the end of the line through the eye of the fly

Step 3: Slip the end of the line through the loop tied in step 1

Step 3: Tie a overhand loop around the line in front of the original loop

Step 4: Lubricate and cinch down. Simple. Wish I had some pictures for you!

Here is a very similar one, tied exactly the same except substitute my step 3 and 4 for his. Though this knot looks easy too......Non-slip loop knot

I tie it from time to time, both with flies and in saltwater to let the lure or fly "swim" more naturally. The concept is certainly sound. That said, I gotta say I've never really noticed a difference in catch rates and always default back to the old clinch knot.

Here is a link to a great video of the figure 8 knot. Link to the figure 8 Loop Knot You can slow up the video and get a great idea of how to tie it if you tie one along while watching it.

I'm more a fan of the Perfection Loop. Link to the Perfection Loop Knot

Here is a link to all the knots that they have. Not a bad idea to have this one in your favorites and practice and get good at half a dozen of them if not all of them.

Cheers,

Rob