Fly Fusion Forums

Policeman'a Boat Launch

Rich,

The launch was open for drift boats but I heard through the grape vine that there was some damages done to it during the rain storm, don't know 100% cause I haven't seen it, but I do know it is open.

Be careful as I have heard of experince rowers having some difficult pulling into the launch as it is in a swift current, if my source is telling the truth then I have heard of some very experince guides having to pull their boats back upriver to get to the launch cause they over shot it!

Anyways maybe take a quick look at it.

Is this boat launch open for drift boats at this time?

rich is right,the new boat lauch is open and is hard torow into at this time,easy to got out of,i dont think the new design is all that good, its to deep,not wide enough,bank is too steep on the down stream side.i see they put some teather poles there ,maybe they want you to lasooem on the way buy. but hay its better then no launch. i just think there could have been a little more thought into it my 2 cents

Used the new Policeman's launch Thursday 19th and there is no question you had to know what you were doing rowing a boat to get into the launch to take out so please be careful with these high flows. Putting in is relatively easy but it is too small as oars touch each side once your boat is in the water. The damage to the launch is very minimal as I also happened to be there (and put in to "speed float") when the water was at the peak 10 days ago. A small amount of gravel got washed away from the side as the water had started to come through the trees and along the road right at the start of where they dug out the launch.

We are very lucky that the river didn't even come up a few more inches as when Terry and I were there the water was actually higher than the parking lot and the only thing keeping it back was the berm they built. Everything worked well for that amount of flow but any higher and I'd only give it a 50/50 chance of surviving.

I don't post often and most likely wont get a chance to add more to this if people are looking for info. I can say though that Terry got a beauty of a Brown close to Southland on the float. It was 26" and a weighed 6 pounds with the New Zealand "de-liar!!!" weigh net. I've also heard that the drift trips (upstream of the Highwood) the past two days have been much better than our trip on Thursday with the water going down since.

David

Fish Tales