Fly Fusion Forums

Stream Fencing Program - Dogpound

Anyone know who looks after the stream fencing program - or if it still exists?

I have been picking away at my fencing since the big floods but I seem to have a list a mile long on the to-do sheet!

If someone has a contact number please let me know.

We set up a solar waterer last year and plan on putting the cattle on the pasture around early/mid July, its fenced in some spots with temporary steel posts to fill the holes, but there are quite a few sections that need some TLC.

Regards,

Dan

You could contact Fish and Wildlife in Red Deer. I don't think the Buck for Wildlife program is running any more, so I am unsure if there are any funds set aside for repairs. A buddy and I built most of those fences and log walls about 20 years ago.

Dogpound,

The ACA guy to talk to is Marco Fontana @ 403-851-2208. Apparently the ACA shutdown their fencing program on Dogpound about 3>4 years ago using the buzz word of Stewardship. They expected all the landowners to just adopt all the fence and keep it in shape. Further, they are intending to do the same on all fencing in Alberta. Of course, while they expect "Stewardship" to keep the fences intact, to date they haven't looked to see if the concept worked but they are carrying on with more "Stewardship" plans.

The ACA has shutdown about 30% of all fencing in Alberta to this point.

The Buck for Wildlife fencing has been installed for 25+ years in a lot of areas and required replacement. Rather than doing that, they opted out.

A real positive for the riparian areas of Alberta.

But then, the ACA can spend your money on studying moths, dicky birds or bats. All the studies, of course, leading to no action on anything.

Am I pissed about the direction ACA has gone - you bet.

Don

Don - Thanks for the information, I will try contacting Marco @ ACA.

Guess I will keep picking away at it, its not a big deal for myself as it is fairly important to me and I do have spare time throughout the year.

I shutter what some of my other neighbors will be doing - I don't necessarily blame them, re-fencing essentially 1 mile along a soggy twisted riverbank is not an easy job. For the typical Rancher/Farmer it probably ranks pretty low on their priority list. I know the big floods a few years ago destroyed my fences - I am sure I am not alone.

Monger - most of the log walls on my land are still intact! I imagine those walls were tough to construct! Kudos to you and your buddy for performing this valuable service.

Dogpound,

The ACA guy to talk to is Marco Fontana @ 403-851-2208. Apparently the ACA shutdown their fencing program on Dogpound about 3>4 years ago using the buzz word of Stewardship. They expected all the landowners to just adopt all the fence and keep it in shape. Further, they are intending to do the same on all fencing in Alberta. Of course, while they expect "Stewardship" to keep the fences intact, to date they haven't looked to see if the concept worked but they are carrying on with more "Stewardship" plans.

The ACA has shutdown about 30% of all fencing in Alberta to this point.

The Buck for Wildlife fencing has been installed for 25+ years in a lot of areas and required replacement. Rather than doing that, they opted out.

A real positive for the riparian areas of Alberta.

But then, the ACA can spend your money on studying moths, dicky birds or bats. All the studies, of course, leading to no action on anything.

Am I pissed about the direction ACA has gone - you bet.

Don

Don. I'll PM you later. fencing has been done on Dogpound both last year and continues this year.