Fly Fusion Forums

Another Canadian Dies In Mexico

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ernational/home

People just can not ignore the fact that Canadians are dying in Mexico faster than any other country visited. The biggest problem there is that the police seem either uninterested or incompetent when it comes to finding a killer.

I see the first pilot episode of "CSI Mexico" wherein the teams gets to a murder scene and the lines go as follows:

"Anyone own a camera to take pictures with?"

"Anyone speak English"

"Man its hot...lets just move the bodies to the morgue and have a Corona!"

"Only evidence I see is that more kick backs are coming my way..."

"Jezz...anyone watch that spanish soap opera last night...that blonde was hot."

"I guess Jose killed another tourist...how much is our share?"

"All these Canadians are dumb...we keep robbing and killing them and they just keep coming back for more!"

"Anyone pay the electricity bill in this dump"

"Did anyone actually put film in this camera"

"Time for a siesta!"

A tragedy really.

This could have been a troll, but....sundance fisher you should think before you write a racist post in a public forum... it speaks a lot of your attitude and understanding of people outside of suburban calgary.

Anyways, there was a canadian couple killed in mexico (Baja) when I was there in 1999. Guess who did it? A couple of young americans. I guess that means that all americans have no respect for human life? As for the police there... well, they aren't great, but there are a lot of drugs passing though to the usa, so they have to be tough or risk getting slaughtered.

Enjoy staying in calgary, I will keep going to mexico, its a paridise for bandidos and gringos alike.

Jon

I think that a persons opinion is just that .. he's entitled to speak his mind ... saying that, I'd go to Mexico only on an all inclusive "stay on the resort" type of thing..maybe I'm foolish in thinking this way or maybe I don't want to be another statistic....I know it's not indicitive but i know guys who went to Mexico (& countries in SA) and have been brought to site by armed guards with 15 foot fences and advised not to leave the compound for "thier own safety" .. I know this is not typical for the whole country but ......................

Guest bigbadbrent

my sister, all 5 foot nothing 100 pounds of her just got back from 3 months going around central america by herself.....she's doing just fine

Because they're canadians, we notice, but i highly doubt we're being targeted..

Some people don't like being outta their comfort zone that much is obvious, personally I've liked to see what the limits are.

Good on your sister BBB, your turn next.

My girlfiend backpacked Costa Rica by herself two years ago without incident also..but that does'nt mean every canadian who goes down there will have the same experience .. I personally know people who will not go back (one of which robbed at gun point in Villahermosa) and i know people who have loved it so much that they have relocated .. take it as you want, but the truth is, there are places/times you are indeed at risk..there are places in parts of the US that are as equally sketchy that I won't ever visit...just because...

and i agree canadians are not a target..

Guest Sundancefisher
A tragedy really.

This could have been a troll, but....Sundance fisher you should think before you write a racist post in a public forum... it speaks a lot of your attitude and understanding of people outside of suburban Calgary.

Anyways, there was a Canadian couple killed in Mexico (Baja) when I was there in 1999. Guess who did it? A couple of young Americans. I guess that means that all Americans have no respect for human life? As for the police there... well, they aren't great, but there are a lot of drugs passing though to the usa, so they have to be tough or risk getting slaughtered.

Enjoy staying in calgary, I will keep going to mexico, its a paridise for bandidos and gringos alike.

Jon

Nope...not a troll and far from racist. Just a fellow Canadian that sees the Mexican authorities completely ignoring any attempts at a legitimate investigation while going out of their way to blame foreigners like women vacationing on the same trip. I am sure the average Mexican wants justice in their communities just like you do but...not with the Mexican authorities by the looks of things. As for blaming the killings on Americans I do not recall the case or the evidence (please attach a link to remind me). The last murder suspects I recall a few years back were those two unrelated Canadian women. Like they did it...what a joke.

I did not disparage any Mexican's race or heritage but rather their corrupt legal system. Anyone with bribe money will be released from jail asap. No money mean long prison time. The Mexican's will never finger a local in a murder investigation since that gives them either bad press or means that they can get off their asses and do a real investigation with real proof and evidence.

Anyone wanting to do risky backpacking more power to them. Anyone staying at a hotel in Mexico watch out. Not sure if guys are getting killed cause they are obnoxious drunk jerks or just in the wrong place at the wrong time...in Canada however...kill someone and an investigation is started...and they do their jobs. Do you honestly believe the Mexican police will try and solve the crime or just sweep it under the carpet?

Anyways...Mexico is not high on my list but I do believe some street smarts, common sense, respectful attitude will help especially in the main resort areas...but this last murder was at a major resort.

I was in Mexico over the spring and I actually found it quite boring. Not like Costa Rica where some punk ass kid tried to mug me, or Barbados where the resort security pulled a gun on me and my girlfriend, or Hawaii where the airport security accused us of being terrorist-smugglers. From what I can see a lot of Canadians get themselves into trouble in Mexico. Like the 20-something guy on our flight who pounded the booze from the minute they started serving it on the plane, and then got a drink at the resort and because it was hot, dove headfirst into the pool. Only thing was that the pool was 3 feet deep. I also saw a older fellow who blew a gasket at the airport ticket clerk because of the long line at the terminal, he sure got some good service after that. I spoke with a former oilfield worker who now owns a bar in Mexico, and he told me over the years he has seen Canadians becoming increasingly obnoxious, and he told me Mexicans are not impressed by that attitude, and unfortunately when you are in a foreign country you are at in their world not yours. I think that the reputation that Canadians once had as a polite respectful group has been somewhat eroded in the past few years. Due in large part to an increase in our wealth, which causes some people to feel they are entitled to something they are not quite sure they are entitled to, but they demand it. So if you are in a foreign country don't be an drunken a--hole, don't flaunt your material possesions, and treat the place and the people there with respect. I think you will find that your experience will be lovely.

I've been to Mexico 8 times without a problem. But i stay close to the resort. Shop during the day and stay on main streets. I have had friends get into trouble though. One friend robbed by police after walking out of a bank machine at 1 am (very dumb move). Another stip searched at gun point after getting lost in PV and going down an alley(also robbed) If you just use your head you will be fine. As for them liking Canadians i think we are still going strong down there. I saw tons of Americans making asses of themselves down there(as well as a few Canadians). Talking to the staff they all seem to say that they still prefer us over the rest.(even newfies :P ...just kiddin folks) One thing that did change though was that this was the first time i could buy stuff with Canadian money if i wanted to and we got a better exchange rate than the us dollar. Hope i didn't offend any of the yanks on here(Rickr) but what can we say....peaple like us :rolleyes:

I was down in Cuba this winter;

The thing that disgusted me the most... the attitude of the obnoxious Canadians on the plane, in the resort, at the beach, and in the nearby villages.

As a generalization, members from western society (US/Can/whaterver), that go on cheap, all drinks included vacations, have an attitude of entitlement that makes me sick.

I think this is the way society is going.

General attitude of:

entittlement... Its my right to do that or have that.

instant gratification... give it to me now.

and no responsiblity... I don't care where it came from, or who cleans it up when I'm done.

Hopefully its just one or 2 generations, but excluding gov't actions, there is no difference between a Canadian tourist and an American tourist and I don't think the world is going to treat a Canadian any differently for much longer.

Canada: the great white northern state.

That's crap

So were the actions of most Canadians on the plane I was on. :P

Based on actions, language, looks, clothing/accesories, no difference (maybe a twang in the vocal cords).

We watch the same sports, the same tv shows, listen to the same music, share news, etc.

Sure, we have a different gov't and governing system, but how many really know the differences of how an American law is passed vs Canadian.

And of course, we think we're better than Americans and they think they're better than everybody else.

Guest Sundancefisher
So were the actions of most Canadians on the plane I was on. :P

Based on actions, language, looks, clothing/accesories, no difference (maybe a twang in the vocal cords).

We watch the same sports, the same tv shows, listen to the same music, share news, etc.

Sure, we have a different gov't and governing system, but how many really know the differences of how an American law is passed vs Canadian.

And of course, we think we're better than Americans and they think they're better than everybody else.

Wen down in Belize there were a ton of Canadians and a fair number of Americans. All were behaving very well. I did not see one disrespectful person period. Mix alcohol at an all inclusive and the resort is asking for it. Unless you are under 24 most likely you are not used to drinking 24/7. In my general travels I have not seen very many Canadians acting badly compared to Americans or even some European countries.

Regardless, the fact remains in Canada if you are an obnoxious jerk you can get a pounding...in the wrong place killed but the cops here give a dam regardless of who you are. I have never got the impression that the cops in Mexico care about finding a murderer.

That lawlessness is the most troubling aspect of any third world country.

Now the other day 4 others were killed, at least 2 Americans in what was described execution style. No one will be caught based upon past practice.

Sun

Did anyone on here say that they thought they are better than American's...No. Do i want to be compared to them...absolutly not. I believe we as Canucks are individual. Americans still wear Canadian flags on there backpacks when they travel to Europian countries because they know they will get treated better. I know this for a fact...I talked to Americans with it on. I'm sure not going to throw the stars and stripes on and go back packing through Europe or Central/South America. I do not want to pile all Americans into the same bracket though, that would be unfair. I have many American friends that i would give the shirt off my back if they needed it. I work in the US alot and i see both sides that's all. Many great super nice,super friendly people and alot of jerks who still think i live in a igloo and ride a dog sled to work in July. Been out with Americans and we run into some group being dicks and they said "and we wonder why nobody likes us". To my friends from this forum who are American i mean no disrespect to you or your home country and i think you all know that. As i said above we can't judge all by the actions of a few.

Wasn't this thread about Mexico? I'll be back there next year with my kids again and won't think twice about it. You need to be smart.

JMO

To my friends from this forum who are American i mean no disrespect to you or your home country and i think you all know that. As i said above we can't judge all by the actions of a few.

Ed,

I have a smart bomb with your name on it. :lol:

That lawlessness is the most troubling aspect of any third world country.

Now the other day 4 others were killed, at least 2 Americans in what was described execution style. No one will be caught based upon past practice.

Sun

Belize is a totally different situation. I would NEVER venture out of a hotel in belize city at night... thats just stooooopid... On the islands its way more relaxed but b.c. is a very racist (anti-whitie) violent city.

As for the drug smugglers killed, well, thats just the business they are in.

As for blaming the killings on Americans I do not recall the case or the evidence (please attach a link to remind me). The last murder suspects I recall a few years back were those two unrelated Canadian women. Like they did it...what a joke.

Heres a link to the murder that happened in 1999 of a BC couple. I remember it because I was passing through when it happened, and was shocked to hear how it ended with a couple of american kids being responsible. Again, a tragedy, and they sounded like a great pair of people, but don't think that everything bad that happens in mexico is because of the evil mexican bandido.

BC local news

On that note, if anyone is going on a road trip down the baja, get in touch with me, there were a few stops that I could recommend. For the most part, everyone I met there was awsome, even had some carollers come to my camper on christmas eve. haha.

Belize is a totally different situation. I would NEVER venture out of a hotel in belize city at night... thats just stooooopid... On the islands its way more relaxed but b.c. is a very racist (anti-whitie) violent city.

As for the drug smugglers killed, well, thats just the business they are in.

From my experience...you see, my dad's family is from Belize and he was born and raised there and I just happened to have lived there for a few years myself and visit on occassion...Belize is the least racist country in Latin America. Granted, Belize City isn't the safest city in the world but I have never once seen or heard of a tourist being robbed, bullied or killed in Belize City. Now, I'm sure if you meandered down to George St. for a midnight stroll things would be different but unless you live on George St. or are a gang member you have absolutely no business anywhere near George St. anyways....that goes for locals as well.

I have never once felt unsafe in Belize and I have been all over that country.

You can be robbed or killed in any country you visit. My cousins were robbed in Germany last year while backpacking in Europe for the summer. It happened to three other people in their group a few days later. So that makes five people (that I know of anyways) robbed in Germany last year.

James

I was in Mexico over the spring and I actually found it quite boring. Not like Costa Rica where some punk ass kid tried to mug me, or Barbados where the resort security pulled a gun on me and my girlfriend, or Hawaii where the airport security accused us of being terrorist-smugglers. From what I can see a lot of Canadians get themselves into trouble in Mexico. Like the 20-something guy on our flight who pounded the booze from the minute they started serving it on the plane, and then got a drink at the resort and because it was hot, dove headfirst into the pool. Only thing was that the pool was 3 feet deep. I also saw a older fellow who blew a gasket at the airport ticket clerk because of the long line at the terminal, he sure got some good service after that. I spoke with a former oilfield worker who now owns a bar in Mexico, and he told me over the years he has seen Canadians becoming increasingly obnoxious, and he told me Mexicans are not impressed by that attitude, and unfortunately when you are in a foreign country you are at in their world not yours. I think that the reputation that Canadians once had as a polite respectful group has been somewhat eroded in the past few years. Due in large part to an increase in our wealth, which causes some people to feel they are entitled to something they are not quite sure they are entitled to, but they demand it. So if you are in a foreign country don't be an drunken a--hole, don't flaunt your material possesions, and treat the place and the people there with respect. I think you will find that your experience will be lovely.

Well I won't be vacationing with you Vic - you're a trouble magnet. I always thought you looked like a wealthy, drug smuggling, terrorist and this confirms it.

From a Travel writer discussing perceived stereotypes while traveling:

1. Americans: Ignorant. Loud. Oblivious to surroundings. Insincere.

2. French: Rude. Bigoted. A trifle out of touch with reality.

3. Germans: Humorless. Rule-obsessed. Unfriendly. Stubborn.

4. Israelis: Rude. Cheap. Arrogant. Cliquish.

5. Canadians: Exactly like Americans, but more soft-spoken, more polite, less ignorant, and twenty times more boring.

I bolded the end just for fun! Here is the entire article:

Travel Stereotypes

Guest Sundancefisher
From a Travel writer discussing perceived stereotypes while traveling:

1. Americans: Ignorant. Loud. Oblivious to surroundings. Insincere.

2. French: Rude. Bigoted. A trifle out of touch with reality.

3. Germans: Humorless. Rule-obsessed. Unfriendly. Stubborn.

4. Israelis: Rude. Cheap. Arrogant. Cliquish.

5. Canadians: Exactly like Americans, but more soft-spoken, more polite, less ignorant, and twenty times more boring.

I bolded the end just for fun! Here is the entire article:

Travel Stereotypes

Ya gotta tell us who the writer did like... Sounds like a great way to plan a vacation so long as them "fun" folk aren't visiting elsewhere

,"-]