Fly Fusion Forums

Another Canadian Dies In Mexico

Guest Sundancefisher

Ya gotta tell us who the writer did like... Sounds like a great way to plan a vacation so long as them "fun" folk aren't visiting elsewhere

,"-]

I think he hates everyone!

It was an article written for the British on their proclivity to stereotype. I guess you could say their stereotype is to stereotype.

Like most of you who travel a lot, I find most stereotypes garbage. Good people everywhere, stupid people everywhere. Most are good.

Guest Sundancefisher
I think he hates everyone!

It was an article written for the British on their proclivity to stereotype. I guess you could say their stereotype is to stereotype.

Like most of you who travel a lot, I find most stereotypes garbage. Good people everywhere, stupid people everywhere. Most are good.

So typically someone who is a stereotyper would quote a stereotyper about stereotyping a stereotype topic?

I think this says all.

more than 1 million Canadians vacation in Mexico annually.
CTV

Considering those numbers should put the rare murders in a more accurate perspective. More Canadians are killed in Calgary then Mexico.

Central America is not a Disney attraction. Its not called the third world for sympathy either. The police are corrupt, the water is filthy, and crime is high, yet the resorts, which provide Mexico with a good portion of its GNP, are like a little oasis of security.

I think its sad how people focus on the 27 Canadian people killed in Mexico in how many years, yet

STARVATION KILLS 25 A DAY IN MEXICO CITY
nytimes

Considering those numbers should put the rare murders in a more accurate perspective. More Canadians are killed in Calgary then Mexico.

Lets look at it this way:

For argument sakes lets say the average Canadian spends 2 weeks in Mexico. With a Million vacationers a year this would equate to 14 million vacation days.

In Calgary we could assume they spend 365 - 14 days a year vacation = 351 days spent in Calgary or 351 million non vacation days.

So if 2 people get killed in Mexico in a year this is 1 death per 7 million vacation days.

In 2004 Calgary had a murder rate of 1.9 per 100,000 people, or 19 per million.

If 19 people get killed in Calgary this is 1 death per 18.4 million non vacation days.

I'm not saying my calculations are correct just that the murder rates really need to be calculated in this manner.

I wasn't referring to anyone individual risk probability, or murder rates, yet your correct in calculating it in example.

However, in the past 3 years there has been 37 murders of Canadians in Calgary. In the past 3 years there has been 27 murders of Canadians in Mexico. So it is correct to state that more Canadians have died in Calgary as compared to Mexico in the past 3 years. It does not imply that your chance of getting murdered at Mexico durring your 2 week vacation is less then when your home for 50 weeks.

Your chances of getting killed are much, much greater in a car accident, as apposed to flying in an airplane. Yet the fact you spend much, much more time in your car means little when the plane your in is plummeting to the earth.

Guest Sundancefisher
I wasn't referring to anyone individual risk probability, or murder rates, yet your correct in calculating it in example.

However, in the past 3 years there has been 37 murders of Canadians in Calgary. In the past 3 years there has been 27 murders of Canadians in Mexico. So it is correct to state that more Canadians have died in Calgary as compared to Mexico in the past 3 years. It does not imply that your chance of getting murdered at Mexico durring your 2 week vacation is less then when your home for 50 weeks.

Your chances of getting killed are much, much greater in a car accident, as apposed to flying in an airplane. Yet the fact you spend much, much more time in your car means little when the plane your in is plummeting to the earth.

My concern is not how many murders total cause if any of us or our loved ones were killed stats are meaningless for the families.

What should come into play is are there any reasons for people not to murder you in Mexico? Does the police do their job? Do they blame the wrong individuals just to hide a problem. Are the authorities barely containing this problem and can it get worse?

How many people need to die without any seemingly legitimate investigation before we say wait...if you do not find the "real" murderers once in a while we will not go there?

Just a thought cause without the pressure on the government, they will not fix this problem.

Also if you take into account proper statistical analysis of the murder rate you have to compare the right demographic.

Murders in Mexico are predominately stranger murders...in Calgary most murderers were known to the victim such as drug related, spousal, friends etc.

Random murders in Calgary are in essense few and far between.

Sun