Fly Fusion Forums

Scadden Pontoon

i just ordered a northfork outdoors, north west express. he claims you can run an 8 hp motor on this thing. what do you guys think is it wise ? would i get decent speed with a 4 or 6 hp ? haha anyone selling a 4, 5 or 6 hp ? please let me know your thoughts would this combo work in some alberta lakes ? thanks guys

My buddy just tried out his new Skykomish Sunrise (10ft) this weekend. Awesome 'toon, they seem extremely well built. It was a bit of a struggle to row in a serious crosswind though.

Why do you want to go fast in a pontoon?

I just spent a solid 6 days on my Skykomish Sunrise and can't say enough good things about it. It's actually 10'6", not 10", which is only 6 inches shorter than the one you ordered. I use a 55 lbs/thrust electric on mine and with a full battery, I can go more than fast enough.

I personally wouldn't get a 4 or 6 HP gas simply because most of the lakes I fish have an electric motor restriction, or at the very least a speed restriction in place. I can't see why it wouldn't handle a 4 or 6 though. Don't know how much Pontoon experience you have, but make sure to leave your oars in the water when using your motor. Otherwise you will be hard pressed to stay straight.

Just my opinion though.

Here's my rig. I put a 7 inch rise on the seat. I highly recommend it for visibility and comfort. It puts your legs at a nice 90 degree angle on your standing platform and eliminates that dreaded dead leg feeling from your feet hanging all day.

Wish I was on my 'toon right now....Happy to say I'll be standing on my platform in about 8 hours, so all's good.

Ignore the lake in the background....it's completely void of fish. ;)

P4290055.jpg

P4300076.jpg

I too own a Sunrise & can't say enough good things about it - easily the best bang for the $$'s out there (worksmanship, materials & design) - especially if they have any Demo models left. My only complaint is that they put the Scadden logo everywhere & on everything which is a bit of advertising overkill. I've even tried standing up on the casting platform while floating the Bow without a problem...in the slower sections & not during runoff of course B)

Do you guys think the Sunrise is a better idea than the 9ft Madison? I was thinking the 9 fter wouldn't catch quite so much wind.

Personally, I have never had any more trouble with my Sunrise 10'6" than I had with either of my 9 footers in the wind.

It's light enough to load in and out of my truck alone and the carrying capacity is unbelievable.

With the tops and bottoms being 1500 compared to a lot of other makes that only beef up the under side of the pontoons, it can take a beating.

My only complaint with mine is that it usually adds at least a half hour delay getting on the water due to other anglers admiring it and asking questions....Who am I kidding? I love showing it off. ;)

Every other boat I've owned, I had to make adjustments or modifications to it to bring it up to standard. The Scadden is great stock. I added the 7" risor, but that is just personal preference.

thanks guys i have never been in a pontoon boat, i spent most of my time in a belly boat in small bc interior lakes. but now i am here and also i am hooked on pike fishing and have some northern sask trips planed and a motor would be nice where i am going. i really have no idea what to expect out of this toon with a motor on it. i did buy the riser and the deluxe seat too :) haha i hope it gets here soon

I just put in an order for a Madison ST. I was originally going to go with an outcast discover 9 IR, but decided against it because it didn't have urethane bladders. I did quite a bit of research before ordering and decided to go Scadden for a number of reasons. I like how Scadden pontoons have a deck and lean bar that can be put away. I also like that these pontoons are rated for class IV and class V rapids. Judging my the videos and pictures on his site, I believe him, but I wont be taking mine in these types of water... at least not intentionally. Urethane bladders are also suppose to last longer and not be as affected by altitude and temperature changes. When I phoned to place my order, I talked to Dave directly and he was nice enough to include a stipping basket and powder coated rear deck-supposedly to prevent discoloration from deck- free of charge. To ship the boat, dave thought that it would cost $50-70 dollars. I do wish that the boat came with a pump. I am interested to see what you end up going with. I now have to wait patiently until my boat arrives. I will post pictures and will give a review once I have had some time on the water.

post-2061-1210890740.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

ok heres the scoop i bought the northwest express it took 2 weeks to get it and it was 75 to ship and arrived in good order. i bought the 7" seat riser, large boat bag, deluxe seat, motor brace kit, and a pump. i wish i wouldn't have bought the pump seat and riser, i could have bought it at Canadian tire and the pump from wholesale sports and saved my self the duty, shipping and the mark up ! but all said and done i love it!. i just got back from fishing up in northern sask and with my little 5 hp 2 stroke it motors along just great!. getting the balance just right wasn't easy, when the boat is level the prop is not deep enough into the water. the boat has to be somewhat back heavy to avoid cavitation. i offset the motor for better comfort and with oars in the water she goes straight and even in 40 to 50 k winds handles awesome!. i love it, its well built, but i can see how some people would not be impressed with it, it is what it is, its hand built and in some ways its looks it. but its well built with great craftsmanship. i can see how lots of people would struggle assembling it the first few times it takes some brains and its not perfect like a machine built product. its an awesome boat can wait to get out on more lakes and rivers! i would add some pics but they are too big ?

• 1 month later...
I just put in an order for a Madison ST. I was originally going to go with an outcast discover 9 IR, but decided against it because it didn't have urethane bladders. I did quite a bit of research before ordering and decided to go Scadden for a number of reasons. I like how Scadden pontoons have a deck and lean bar that can be put away. I also like that these pontoons are rated for class IV and class V rapids. Judging my the videos and pictures on his site, I believe him, but I wont be taking mine in these types of water... at least not intentionally. Urethane bladders are also suppose to last longer and not be as affected by altitude and temperature changes. When I phoned to place my order, I talked to Dave directly and he was nice enough to include a stipping basket and powder coated rear deck-supposedly to prevent discoloration from deck- free of charge. To ship the boat, dave thought that it would cost $50-70 dollars. I do wish that the boat came with a pump. I am interested to see what you end up going with. I now have to wait patiently until my boat arrives. I will post pictures and will give a review once I have had some time on the water.

Hey Roast how ya like the new boat????

• 8 months later...
Hey Roast how ya like the new boat????

Sorry about the delay... months... almost a year... but I lost track of this thread. The Madison performs very well. The build quality is great, however one of the holes where a frame pin is inserted was a little off (nothing a quick drill didn't fix). The finishing isn't quite as polished as an outcast pac boat, and you can tell this is a small operation build. However the materials used and features implemented more than make up for this in my opinion. I have been out to a few lakes and overall I am really happy with the boat. The platform takes some getting use to, as the pontoons have a lot of rocker. The rocker would help with rapids (not that I have been in any yet), but i think that a little less rocker would help with stability on still water.

I have just moved up to Calgary, and am looking forward to floating the bow. I don't have my boat up here quite yet, but it will be up here soon. It would be great if some folks with trucks/trailers could organize a float some weekend.