Fly Fusion Forums

Catch And Release Banned.....

Strange new legislation in Switzerland is going to ban Catch and Release.

The story can be found at http://friedbrains.com/?p=2108

"The new legislation states that fish caught should be killed immediately following their capture, with a sharp blow to the head from a blunt instrument."

Anglers must immediately kill their catch, but.... "anglers in the country will have to demonstrate their expertise by taking a course on humane methods of catching fish, under new legislation outlined by the Bundesrat - the Swiss Federal Parliament."

I personally have no idea what brainiac came up with the idea, but I sure hope we don't follow this lead. I actually thought it was a joke when I first heard of it, but.....

Nothing new, more than a few jurisdictions in Europe look down on C&R as needlessly cruel to the fish. You hook and land a fish you must immediately and humanely kill that fish so as not to prolong it's suffering. I wouldn't bet against that not reaching North America in some form or another eventually. IMO it's a natural conclusion of public opinion as people distance themselves from their food sources. I know there's a few people out there who like to fish with their hook points cut off. I don't think it's about getting fish slime on their fingers.

Len Mitzel's Alberta Hunting, Fishing and Trapping Heritage Act if now in third reading down at the Alberta legislature. It was inspired by Dr. Ted and he said as much at the AFGA convention in Feb. It says we have the right. All you Calgary Liberals on this board take note.

This legislation reminds me of the attitude many people I speak to have about catch-and-release fishing. It often goes like this:

"Oh you fish, so do you keep your fish and eat them?"

"Not really, sometimes if I'm camping in the backcountry"

"Isn't that kinda cruel? How would you like a hook in your mouth?"

Nothing new, more than a few jurisdictions in Europe look down on C&R as needlessly cruel to the fish. You hook and land a fish you must immediately and humanely kill that fish so as not to prolong it's suffering. I wouldn't bet against that not reaching North America in some form or another eventually. IMO it's a natural conclusion of public opinion as people distance themselves from their food sources. I know there's a few people out there who like to fish with their hook points cut off. I don't think it's about getting fish slime on their fingers.

Right on Taco........Now that almost everyone is a couple of generations "away from the farm" their understanding of the food process and anything that has to do with blood is limited and slanted.....Also the attribution of human traits (logic, suffering, pain etc.) to animals of all kinds is skewed..........Do we know that fish feel pain??........At any rate, I, and I hope my grandkids will be long dead before the Swiss idiocy hits good ol red neck country..........

In most of Europe the regs are like that, as previously mentioned. The other part of the story is the catch limit is set by the water you fish, more in stocked lakes and less in rivers, and once you catch the limit you have to stop fishing. Some of the rivers have a limit on the number of anglers that are allowed to fish there, and you have to pay a premium to do so. Be glad we live and fish here. B)

I did hear a few years back at a meeting, whispers that "Catch Limits" would be just that...."Catch Limits", and that was here in Alberta.

Meaning that once you catch your limit, you must leave the water. They would be applied to C & R Fisheries and the limits would've been in the range of 10 fish/rod.

Obviously it didn't go very far, but I wouldn't be surprised to see legislation similar to this come in one day.

All you Calgary Liberals on this board take note.

What has this got to do with anything? Sask. has been Liberal, NDP and Conservative for decades. There is incredible white tail, duck and geese hunting. The northern lakes have been world famous for fly in fishing for 60 years. My grandfather was a huge ducks unlimited volunteer and duck hunter and had been a close friend of Tommy Douglas. Before you jump all over me you do not know how I vote -I tend to vote for the person. Myron Thompson my current MP is as conservetive as they come and is a personal friend of mine. So what does being liberal have to do with fishing and hunting?

As to the concern of catch and release. A lot of this anti propaganda is being spread by PETA. Europeans have been quick to listen to the PETA garbage. European roots for the last 100-200 years has been urban not the rural background/history of Canada. Europeans left the crowded cities to come and farm here. I don't see a majority of Canadians being so quick to buy in. I am not sure a vast majority of Cdns. have totally bought into the "green" idea like Europeans. Case in point -head into the hills this weekend and watch what a huge number of people are doing to the west country. Cdns still have a pioneer/wild west mentality. They still think they need to tame the wilderness. I guided some Dutch fellas a few years back. 1 has since moved here. They/he told me then about the rumours of banning catch and release in Eurpope But they feel Canadians have different attitudes and could not see many of the things that are happening in Holland happening here (not just with regards to fishing). We have a lot of Dutch and German families who have left Europe and settled around Sundre because they are fed up with European politics.

mike,

Apparently, hypocrisy only occurs from the left, never the right! ;)

I think we are on the slippery slope to similar legislation for a lot of reasons, primarily due to what Taco said. As we get more disconnected from the farm, attitudes toward animals changes. Eventually, the PETA attitude will convince enough people that fishing is cruel.

That said, I think that is many, many years away in North America. I think Mike has it nailed, at least for the near to mid range future. For a glimpse of the future of North America, watch California and the NE US. They would be the first to enact any of this type of legislation. I'm sure something similar has been brought up there before, but no traction yet. California does however have (or is planning?) some Fishing Exclusion Zones.

I agree I don't see it my future. Another area to watch is New Zealand. It seems like a lot of political ideas the last 20 years have filtered from there to here. I don't know why. I have seen it in education and health care ideas and the whole deficit reduction plan that Ralph takes credit for was a copy of work done in New Z and the ideas of NewZ author (don't remember the name).

Guest Sundancefisher

I wonder if this is specific to one canton (small political subdivision within the country) only? I do not see that regulation country wide. They also allow bait fishing in a big way there so maybe they have excessive mortality versus catch and release flyfishing.

I was curious as to how much fishing their is there...

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/print...atID=0244020352

"Switzerland (Fishing)

In this relatively small country, there are at least 32,000km (20,000 miles) of rivers and streams, as well as 1,349 sq. km (521 sq. miles) of lakes. These waters are situated at heights between 210m and 1,965m (689 and 6,445 ft.) above sea level, and vary in configuration and fauna as much as in altitude. Such a wide choice of conditions certainly puts anglers on their mettle, for they're presented with a fascinating range of challenges. For those who know how to adapt themselves, there is excellent sport in store. Angling techniques and bait must be suited to the particular water one happens to be fishing. With few exceptions, fly-fishing, spinning, and ground fishing, with natural or artificial bait, are permitted in most waters. Trout can be found in most waters up to altitudes of 1,800m (5,904 ft.), and lake trout have been known to weigh up to 10 kilograms (22 lb.). You need a license to fish, but they're easily acquired through municipal authorities, beginning at 50F ($41) per day. Regulations vary from place to place, so to be sure you're legal; inquire at a hotel or local tourist office."

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/countries/swit...and/fishing.asp

Fishing in Switzerland

Did you know?

There are 32,000 Km of streams and rivers in Switzerland and 839 square Km of lakes (see Wikipedia for a list of all the lakes in Switzerland)

The highest water level in Switzerland is 1965m above sea level and the lowest point is at Lake Maggiore on the Italian border at 195m above sea level

The most common fish are trout, char, pike and perch

The Law & Fishing Permits

The Swiss Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN) sets the federal regulations governing fishing and water life in Switzerland. The law, The Federal Act on Fishing, is in place to protect fish stocks and their natural environment.

Each canton is responsible for issuing its own fishing permits or licences and the regulations vary according to the area, and to whether the licence is for lake or river fishing.

Permits sold allow fishing for a single day, a week, a month or a full year. The permit rates vary from canton to canton, furthermore a permit must be bought specific to each fishing area, as there are different prices for each lake and river.

Always consult the local cantonal office before fishing; there are penalties for fishing without a licence.

For more information from each canton see: The Swiss Portal

Accepted Practices

Each canton publishes guidelines on the best practices to be followed by anyone fishing in Swiss waters. This is in the interests of the environment and for the protection of the natural habitat. The natural environment both above and below the water should not be disturbed by the fishing.

Polluting the lakes and rivers is strictly against the law and any evidence of pollution must be reported to the cantonal authorities immediately so that clean up operations can be put in place to minimise damage. Littering is forbidden.

Intruding on the feeding, breeding and nesting of the cormorant and heron and other water birds is forbidden, as is disturbing small riverside and lakeside animals.

Cantonal authorities must approve nets and hooks.

The Swiss Fishing Federation has a code of conduct, which should be followed by any person fishing (in French and German).

Federal advice for Playing fair with nature when fishing

Fishing in Geneva

Fishing is permitted on Lake Geneva.

For more information:

Information on the main fishing towns on Lake Geneva, rescue services, weather reports and information on the different techniques used for fishing in Lake Geneva from Léman Peche (in French)

Amicale des Pêcheurs du Lac (Lake Geneva fishing club)

Tel: +41 (0)79 688 37 92

Website (in French)

The Fédération Genevoise des Sociétés de Pêche and the AGSP Association Genevoise des Sociétés de Pêche provide up-to-date information on fishing conditions, licences and general information.

Fédération Genevoise des Sociétés de Pêche

Tel: 022 757 6957

Website (in French)

The Swiss Angling Association (Schweiz Fischerei Verband / Association Suisse de Pêcheurs)

Sekretariat Thomas Winzeler

At: Seilerstrasse 27, 3011 Berne

Tel: +41 (0)31 381 32 52

Website

Further Information

Guide to Fishing and Hunting from The Swiss Portal

The Swiss Federal Office for the Environment

The Swiss fish industry website FischNetz

The Swiss centre for aquatic research eawag

The protection of animals and fish agfish

In most of Europe the regs are like that, as previously mentioned. The other part of the story is the catch limit is set by the water you fish, more in stocked lakes and less in rivers, and once you catch the limit you have to stop fishing. Some of the rivers have a limit on the number of anglers that are allowed to fish there, and you have to pay a premium to do so. Be glad we live and fish here. B)

There are reg's the same as these on some British Columbian waters containing steelhead..they have been in effect at least 15 years already. What I mean is that if you catch a hatchery fish and keep it you have to stop fishing for the rest of the day on that body of water..I thought it was a bit strange as the river contained other species as well.

I agree I don't see it my future. Another area to watch is New Zealand. It seems like a lot of political ideas the last 20 years have filtered from there to here. I don't know why. I have seen it in education and health care ideas and the whole deficit reduction plan that Ralph takes credit for was a copy of work done in New Z and the ideas of NewZ author (don't remember the name).

This is true... New Zealand were first bringing in the then new tax called the G.S.T. and it was not too many years later that Canada jumped on the boat..so to speak.

I think it's a good idea to stop mortality assossiated with C&R... especially in places with a ton of people.

Catch a fish and you're off the water, not impacting more (of course many of mine would slip away and likely swim free...)

There are reg's the same as these on some British Columbian waters containing steelhead..they have been in effect at least 15 years already. What I mean is that if you catch a hatchery fish and keep it you have to stop fishing for the rest of the day on that body of water..I thought it was a bit strange as the river contained other species as well.

This type of reg is good where there are lots of species... some more sensitive. If you're there to catch one to eat, do it and go... if you're there to fish C&R all the way. If you're doing both... you have to risk keeping one on that last cast, or going home empty handed.

On the otherhand, a dead fish is a dead fish.

***Tounge firmly in Cheek****

Guest Sundancefisher
I think it's a good idea to stop mortality assossiated with C&R... especially in places with a ton of people.

Catch a fish and you're off the water, not impacting more (of course many of mine would slip away and likely swim free...)

This type of reg is good where there are lots of species... some more sensitive. If you're there to catch one to eat, do it and go... if you're there to fish C&R all the way. If you're doing both... you have to risk keeping one on that last cast, or going home empty handed.

I agree that the management regulations have to adapt for the fishery in question. Bait fishing kills lots of fish versus flyfishing.

I agree with you that C&R when done correctly is great. We have way to many anglers to sustain a kill only fishery.

Cheers

Sun

The first and, until now, only country where you have to kill your catch is Germany. Not on all waters but on most waters.

As for the Swiss, they have very limited access to fishable water in their own country.

Most Swiss will fish fish in Austria, Slovenia Croatia and the Czech Republic.

As for sustaining a kill only fishery, almost every month trout are stocked in those rivers.

As for catching your limit, this is implemented on most European waters. Stop when you caught and killed your limit.

But you can fish C&R all day long without having to count the fish.

The first and, until now, only country where you have to kill your catch is Germany. Not on all waters but on most waters.

As for the Swiss, they have very limited access to fishable water in their own country.

Most Swiss will fish fish in Austria, Slovenia Croatia and the Czech Republic.

As for sustaining a kill only fishery, almost every month trout are stocked in those rivers.

As for catching your limit, this is implemented on most European waters. Stop when you caught and killed your limit.

But you can fish C&R all day long without having to count the fish.

And there you have it from the horse's mouth :) :) It goes to show you I'm Euro in name only. :D Thanks

Guest Sundancefisher

the question is how controllable is this regulation? If I use small barbless flies I can intentially lose most fish just by giving it slack before landing. For those people that over play there fish they would quite often be essentially killing the fish.

We all draw the line at different places. Would we even fish if we had to keep and kill then leave?

None of us wants to hurt the fish. But how many times do you see someone hoisting a fish out of the water to remove the hook or get a picture, then release it?(I've done it myself) We fish for sport, but why do we have to actually 'bring it in'? I do keep the odd fish. Catching more fish is better; catching bigger fish is better (I'm still a caveman)

I don't think it would be much fun fishing with a hookless hook, but there is certainly sport to it. Ever gone out and just watched fish? I have. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

I'll bet the fish hurts like hell when it's hooked - kinda like us chewing razor blades. Sure, we'd probably live, but should someone shoot us just in case?

I don't have answers, and I do find myself a little flustered and embarrased at times trying to justify what I do. Just some thoughts.

Cheers

the question is how controllable is this regulation? If I use small barbless flies I can intentially lose most fish just by giving it slack before landing.

;) Most anglers, including myself, suddenly develop this behavior when fishing in Germany. Don't know why, but for some reason I seem to loose all my fish right in front of my feet. :lol:

I finally get to comment on a topic that I can Really Relate to . I C & R fish the Bow since moving to Calgary in 80 . I was out one windy day fishing a point and hooking fish on almost every cast . There was only one other fly-fisher downstream from me and he wasn't hooking any fish so I waved for him to try my spot Good Thing I did . As I was changing my fly a gust of wind came up and pulled the #14 hook out of my hand and neatly planted its self in my lower lip . Needless to say I was somewhat embarrassed to ask for help but this young fellow had all the gear Hemostat's Too ! hanging from his vest . You should have seen the look on his face as he gripped the fly to Release Me . I'm not sure how fish feel but I felt the sting of being hooked for a week. I won't get into the time I hooked the corner of my eye-lid and had to go to the emergency . Have Fun this weekend on the water and watch out for those wind gusts .

So, let me get this straight. People are free to have children and screw them up in anyway they want without any manner of education or license required but, if you want to fish - clearly an undertaking of much greater importance - you need not only to take a course and seek a license, but need to kill any fish you catch so as not to contaminate their environment and not to cruelly let them live after having been hooked. Hmmm ... Glad there are such great thinkers out there in government doing this big thinking for us, or at least at this stage for the Swiss.

Cheers,

Mark