Fly Fusion Forums

How Big Are Your Baw's??

birchy

I 'tied' up some BAW's awhile back on some of those "curved" mustad hooks I had leftover from spin fishing.. I don't know what they're called, but if you look at em straight on, the hook point will be angled out to the side..

Anywho.. they're pretty big.. but I haven't caught a bloody fish on one yet! I had it in my head that they were going to work great. Any chance they're too big?

Although.. now that I've typed that.. they're not as big as the "Sanjuanbe" at Fish Tales.. and I've caught fish on those before..

Guest bigbadbrent

i only use size 8s

why?

anything bigger has the ability to stab a small fish through the brain, since the small fish will still go for them.

you can just double wrap it if you want more weight

don't be so dependant on the worm, like 85% of the people on the river are..you'll start catching more fish when you take the worm off, add another nymph (that is what they're feeding on) and put splitshot on..

As Brent said, bigger is not always better... Stabbed in the brain, or in the mouth out the eye. How many have caught one eyed fish?

Bigger hooks catch bottom more easily as well. I don't use them unless they are catching fish, which is not too often for me. :lol:

I use a variety of sizes, but I try and match the size of the natural aquatic worms found in the river, if I can find any.

The aquatic worms I've seen recently, were about a size #8-10. As mentioned, I also use SJW's as control flys, to regulate depth, so in fast water, I use a larger/heavier worm to get the rig to the bottom, quickly.

Also, try using Red Bloodworms (Midge Larva), in size #14-18. They are common in the Bow and a lot of fish will be eating them in May/June.

ive downsized mine in teh past few years and stick with 6 and 8 mainly because of the fish damage and sticking hooks through fishes eyes... they all work but its jsut easier on teh fish not too fish the 4's and even 2's like i useto back in highschool.... tiny ones like 12 and 14's are great too when the baby worms are out int eh summer/late fall...

Just bend the hook at a 30 degree or more offset from the shank of the hook. Stabbing fish through the eye / brian problem is gone. Plus... more fish stay on... harder for them to shake it.

I tend to use 4-8 most of the time. Like BBB said though, try some other nymphs every now and then.... they DO work... if you know what's in the river and what the fish are likely to be keying on... ;)

• 2 weeks later...