Fly Fusion Forums

Police Lake Benchmark Fishing Weekend

This is a reminder that there will be a "benchmark" fishing weekend at Police Lake this upcoming weekend from May 9 to May 11. You are invited to attend all weekend or whenever you can on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Free breakfast on Sunday morning to those who participate in the test fishing! Please RSVP here if you plan to attend.

Background

Effective April 1, 2008, Police Outpost Lake is governed by new regulations.

Open Apr. 1 to Oct. 31

Trout limit 1 over 50 cm

Bait Ban

Nov. 1 to Mar 31 – CLOSED

What and why

There will be a test fishing weekend on May 9, 10 and 11, 2008. The purpose will be to establish a baseline of fish size to compare with fish size in future years. Participants will be asked to keep record sheets that ask for 1)number of hours fished 2) number of fish caught 3) length of fish caught and 4) method used. These data will be invaluable in tracking the success of Police Lake under the new regulations.

What you will do

If you plan to attend, download this record keeping sheet, print a couple of copies and keep track of the fish you catch. PLEASE BRING A TAPE MEASURE as we want accurate measurements. Utmost care is to be taken when handling, measuring and releasing fish. If you show up on Friday, and no one "official" is in attendance, just go ahead and start fishing and record the fish you catch as noted on the record sheet. All participants are to fish according to the current regulations for this lake and for the province. See here.

When and where

... this upcoming weekend from May 9 to May 11. This is a weekend event and you can arrive any time on Friday afternoon or on Saturday. There is a campground at this provincial park so you can tent or trailer at the campground. Download the Police Lake campground brochure with maps and contact numbers.

RSVP

We need to know how many plan to attend so food can be procured for the Sunday morning breakfast! Please RSVP to Allan Caldwell.

caldwa AT gmail.com

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Please contact Allan Caldwell at 381-1619 or caldwa AT gmail.com

Please do not call me or write to me as I will be in hiding this week. Thanks.

Hope to see you there.

Clive

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clive Schaupmeyer, Secretary

Oldman River Chapter TU

Gang,

I will be attending with my father and 9 y/o nephew... Is anyone else bringing children?! If possible, I'd like my nephew to meet some children around his age... Please let me know...

Thanks,

Peter

Quick question.

I have never fished Police Lake, is it good shore fishing or should one bring a pontoon boat. Any information is appreciated.

thanks,

Guy

Guy,

From what I understand both will work, but it's always better from a pontoon!

P

If all goes according to plan, my son and I will be getting there on Thursday. Unfortunately we have to leave Saturday afternoon, so will miss the big breakfast. Looking forward to the trip and meeting some more board members. -- it should be fun. Terry

PS One4adventure -- my son is 37 so he won't be playing with your nephew -- at least not if the fishing is half decent :lol: .

I will be there - just wondering who's all going Friday and at what time. I *may* have room for one or two leaving from the south end of town early Friday morning.

Rusty,

We'll be leaving after dinner on Friday!

P

Sure wish I could make it, but divorce would follow. Missing one's own 20th anniversary would be a problem.

I have a 9 ft Outcast Pontoon with all the stuff ( but a crappy anchor) if anyone wants to borrow it for the fish out. Let me know. I live in Chaparral, so it is on the way out of town. Might be nice to have an extra on there for anyone who wants to use it.

Wish I could go too, but unfortunately I'm on-call.

Instead I'll be swimming in a pool of contempt plotting my revenge!!!!! After that I'll probably clean the house up a bit and go get groceries.

So I did my own little test fishery on Police yesterday..........It was a nice day---cloudy and about 16C with very little wind.....I worked from the launch all the way around the lake in my pontoon and caught fish everywhere........Mostly small acrobats that will be alot of fun by fall and even more fun next year!!..........A few fish in the 14"-16" range along the east bank which were false spawners..........Three big trumpeter swans made an appearance and there are lots of coots and geese as well as two pairs of loons and an opsrey............There are a pair of bald eagles nesting in a tree along the east shore and I spent quite a bit of time wathcing as they fished and then went back to the nest..........Couldn't see the little ones but I'm sure they are hatched out as the female didn't feel compelled to be on the nest all the time as she would be if she was on eggs.......Anyway, it was fun with lots of action and a beautiful place to be.......

I will not be there until Saturday morning so for anyone heading down on Friday that can't stay until Saturday, PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE BENCHMARK SHEET FROM THE ORIGINAL POST and either give it to someone who is staying until Saturday and they can give it to me, or you can mail it to me at 137 Coachwood Point, Lethbridge T1K 6A6.......For those staying, I will be there until early Sunday afternoon and will collect all the forms I can before I leave and any I don't get can be mailed.....I will also have blank forms for anyone who needs them...........

The breakfast will be from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and we will likely be up in about campsite 26 or thereabouts........I drive a red Tundra and we'll put up a sign so you can find us........The campsite is a bit rough at moment, as they've cleared out a bunch of bush and haven't got it all cleaned up yet.....However there is water available and the sites are dry-----believe it or not there is still a bit of snow kicking around in the shaded areas and north slopes!!.....

Look forward to seeing everyone----looks like the turnout will be not bad----and your help in getting a good benchmark will be invaluable in measuring the success of the new regulations over the next few years..........

Al........

i will be heading down after work on friday so i should be there by about 8pm. i'm driving the blue chev blazer if anyone happens to see a semi-lost girl driving around looking for a lake, please flag me down, i will have booze and looking for a place to crash. i guess i will head towards campsite 26 and hope i'm in the right place.

see ya'll

Its possible I will be there 1 of the 2 days.... To many other things going on this weekend as well to be able to nail down which day at this point in time though. Fishing has been great out there the last 2 sundays.

A few people showing up for one or more days but not as many as I'd hoped...........Surely the weather isn't scaring folks away as it doesn't look too bad..........

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/...4_metric_e.html

I'll be bringing enough breakfast for those that have confirmed and alot more :P so hopefully we can have a good turnout.......I'll be wearing my dorky Scotland hat and fishing from an orange and black Colorado Pontoon boat with Trout Unlimited on the side, so if I haven't met you, you'll be able to find me........See you on the weekend!!

Anyone else going that is gonna be on foot? I need someone to document all my catches.. y'know :P:P

Or just some good company. I'll be there all day saturday I hope, depending on the funbuster ;)

I'll be on foot, heading down tomorrow afternoon and staying for breakfast on Sunday.