Fly Fusion Forums

Smallmouth Bass

Never fished smallies, but made quite a few trips to Duck Lake for largemouths in the past. Definitely a blast, especially those

heart-stopping topwater takes.

That being said, I kinda hafta agree with Tako on the idea of stocking non-native fish being a bad thing. Tako, you & I can just

stick to catching "native" brookies & browns, right? ;):blink::blink:

BTW, I checked out the BassfishingBC forum; very nice. Hopefully it grows & becomes as useful & entertaining as this forum.

I know I'll use it when I'm getting ready to head out there; smallies are on my wish-list. ;)

Guest bassfishingbc
Never fished smallies, but made quite a few trips to Duck Lake for largemouths in the past. Definitely a blast, especially those

heart-stopping topwater takes.

That being said, I kinda hafta agree with Tako on the idea of stocking non-native fish being a bad thing. Tako, you & I can just

stick to catching "native" brookies & browns, right? ;):blink::blink:

BTW, I checked out the BassfishingBC forum; very nice. Hopefully it grows & becomes as useful & entertaining as this forum.

I know I'll use it when I'm getting ready to head out there; smallies are on my wish-list. ;)

Thanks for checking out the forum! It has only been up and running for a few months and growth has been pretty good so far. Duck Lake is my favourite lake to fish and I agree that the topwater strikes are awesome! As you can see, bass fishing can be a pretty controversial pastime. However, I do totally agree that illegal stocking does no one any good at all. Good point about the brookies and browns. I know that in central BC there has been quite an aggressive MOE stocking of brookies, even though they are native to eastern canada and not BC. There is a certain contradiction there. Having said that, enjoying the bass fishing BC has to offer is a far cry from expecting or contributing to spreading bass throughout the province, which is something that I do not condone or participate in.

When I've been down at Duck Lake, I have talked to quite a few guys from Alberta who have made the trek out to Duck to fish for largemouth, so I know that there is some interest with Alberta anglers as well. Even though my site is bassfishingbc, you alberta guys are more than welcome!

My parents live in Kelowna and you can bet your ass i'll be bass fishing when i go visit.

You gonna buy you a bass boat and sow all them patches on yur fishin clothes?post-126-1209590405.jpg

Guest bassfishingbc
You gonna buy you a bass boat and sow all them patches on yur fishin clothes?post-126-1209590405.jpg

Tako...............Taco........................hmmmmmmmmm

It's funny how so many people use that stereotype for bass fishermen. I laugh because I wear normal fishing clothes when I fish, not jerseys. And I fish from a 12 foot aluminum, not a bass boat.

I may be wrong but I believe the closest Bass lakes to Calgary are around Jaffray on HWY #3. There are 3-4 good bass lakes in the vicinity some of which are by Lake Koocanusa in Kikoman Creek Provincial Park..Baynes Lake, Turtle Lake are a couple that come to mind.

Tako...............Taco........................hmmmmmmmmm

It's funny how so many people use that stereotype for bass fishermen. I laugh because I wear normal fishing clothes when I fish, not jerseys. And I fish from a 12 foot aluminum, not a bass boat.

Just pokin' fun @ SJW Hoss jus pokin' fun @ SJW.... and if you could, don't get your taco/takos confused, Taco is an OFer from SA

Guest bassfishingbc
Just pokin' fun @ SJW Hoss jus pokin' fun @ SJW.... and if you could, don't get your taco/takos confused, Taco is an OFer from SA,

hahaha, I stand corrected.....so let me get this straight: Taco is the one I will respond to and Tako is the one I won't respond to......

Guest bassfishingbc
I may be wrong but I believe the closest Bass lakes to Calgary are around Jaffray on HWY #3. There are 3-4 good bass lakes in the vicinity some of which are by Lake Koocanusa in Kikoman Creek Provincial Park..Baynes Lake, Turtle Lake are a couple that come to mind.

You are right about that. Tie Lake, Baynes Lake, Suzanne Lake, and Surveyors Lake are all pretty close to Jaffray. Other than Surveyors, I have my own personal reviews of the other three on my site under the lake section. Lund Lake on the other side of Jaffray (towards Cranbrook) is in Wardner and has decent largemouth fishing too. Its a good place to take kids to catch perch right off the shore too. Suzanne has some big rainbow trout and Lund has some decent sized ones too.

hahaha, I stand corrected.....so let me get this straight: Taco is the one I will respond to and Tako is the one I won't respond to......

Another difference is, if Taco ever said "I'd like to bust your knee caps", your fear factor should jump up a little bit. ;)

I've never caught a smallmouth. I grew up chasing saltwater fish in the US, and did go largemouth fishing from time to time. Unlike the vast majority of my brethren, I didn't find it all that fun. Probably because to crank them out of the heavy cover you had to use such heavy gear. The few times I caught them on lighter tackle, it was a kick. Catching one (a largemouth) on a fly rod would be a blast. And from what I've seen on the fishing shows, the smallies fight much harder. Next time I'm in the BC interior I'll certainly take a day to try it out.

Now Taco what's wrong with a Bass boat I used to own a 19' ranger back when I lived in Picton ON. it was the tool needed to get the job done, rowing or paddling on the Bay of Quinte is just a friutless endeavour, and it was a blast rippin along being pushed by a 200 marine Merq.

Not a dang thing Teck, matter o' fact if I were a big water fisherman I'd likely own one, hell I think a decent sized jet would be just tickety boo for any river bigger than the Crow :D :D I just think it'd be hilarious seein' old Double Dee lookin' like a NASCAR tire carrier and wavin' a long stick :lol: :lol:

There's two small lakes near Jaffrey off Wardner road down HAHA Creek rd. Not sure if it's any of the above that were mentioned. They both had bass (and the first was stocked with trout from the hatchery up the road) but a few years ago someone introduced Pike into both of them. It was closed after that but after looking at this year's regs it looks like they've been re-opened. What they now contain is anybody's guess.

Remember if you're planning on fishing in BC this year you can buy your license online along with any stamps you might want/need.

............Remember if you're planning on fishing in BC this year you can buy your license online along with any stamps you might want/need.

Something to consider if you're thinking about buying a BC license online, is that once you buy the main license online, you must buy your daily $20 classified waters permits online as well. That may not convenient or even possible when you're on a fishing trip. Terry