Fly Fusion Forums

What Weight Rods?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it all dpends on what type of fishing you want too do.. if ur more of a dryfly small creek guy but want too fish streamers n such too ide say 4 and 6.. if u wnat too go more for smaller salmon pike bulls etc n still fish smaller stuff i would say 5 and 7

sjw ur freaking hilarious.. how many rods do u have? and hwo many do u use....... 6wt......... got alot of perdy other oens tho....... anyone ever find 3 out of the 4 pieces of a ticr along the bleachers in teh past year?

Guest bigbadbrent
3 is fine...for a single handed rod :P

But a 6/7 spey or switch would be a lot more versatile for pike, nymphs and streamers on the bow, and some bull trout hunting. :)

Just buy a drift rod..save the casting lessons :P

I'd rather fish a 2 and a 5 then anything else

I have three. 7'6" 3wt, 9' 5wt, 9' 8wt. I figure I am able to handle anything with those, but realistically, unless you want to fish salmon or monster pike (I do), a 3 and a 5 are all you will ever need. I don't like 6wt's. I'm a 5wt guy

Guest bigbadbrent

5's are almost all i ever use, unless i'm on the small streams then the 3's come with me. 4 weight is for dries on the bow in the evening and night

I'm odd :lol: -- 3wt, 5wt, and 7wt. Terry

You have the correct selection. Like Clive says you need to leap one so if you own a 4wt you should get a 6wt then an 8wt if you have a 3 then you should get a 5 and a 7. But I'm crazy like Tako and I have a 3 a 5 and a 8wt :blink: but if I had the money I would have one of each wt. For me my 5 is my go to rod and it works great for any water I fish in Alberta.

3 & 6 were what I started with and honestly they should cover most situations (pike and bigger bulls aside). But then I started buliding (er assembling) rods :blink: and now I have:

6'6" 2wt

8'6" 3wt (two of them actually)

9'0" 4wt (6 piece)

9'0' 5wt

9'0" 6wt

And the collection is always growing.

Stupid stupid habit. DO NOT start building your own rods!!!!!!!

I say you only need a 3wt and 5wt. I fish mostly rivers and creeks and I only really use a 9f 5wt and 7f 1/2 3wt. The 5wt is for dries and nympthing the Bow and other larger rivers and 3wt for dry-fly fishing the smaller rivers and creeks.

I have a 6wt for streamers on the Bow but I don't really use it that often because I don't really like fishing streamers. If you want to fish streamers or in high winds, maybe a 3wt and 6wt would be a better option.

I like the feel of a 5wt more than a 6wt.

I say you only need a 3wt and 5wt. I fish mostly rivers and creeks and I only really use a 9f 5wt and 7f 1/2 3wt. The 5wt is for dries and nympthing the Bow and other larger rivers and 3wt for dry-fly fishing the smaller rivers and creeks.

I have a 6wt for streamers on the Bow but I don't really use it that often because I don't really like fishing streamers. If you want to fish streamers or in high winds, maybe a 3wt and 6wt would be a better option.

I like the feel of a 5wt more than a 6wt.

i second that notion

Great thread! I went with a 6 instead of a 5 for my first rod and it's been working out well for me. However, with the little guys it sometimes feels like there's nothing on. I'd like to pick up a 4 at some point. Do most guys here go a little shorter than the standard 9' for their dry fly rod for reasons other than fishing tight spaces? Thanks. C.