Fly Fusion Forums

Two Paochers Get Their Justice

I know that these guys aren't fish poachers or maybe they are ? but this story shows the importance of using the Report A Poacher hotline.

Alberta poachers fined $10,000 each after leaving 2 injured moose to die

1 day ago

CAROLINE, Alta. — Wildlife officials in Alberta used sophisticated detective work to nab a pair of hunters who shot two moose and left them to die.

Darcy Whiteside of Alberta Sustainable Resource Development says the men were shooting gophers with .22-calibre rifles near Caroline last month when they spotted the moose. Whiteside says they shot the moose multiple times, and both animals were still standing when they drove away.

A landowner was later able to provide information about the two men, and brass casings from the rifles were matched to the two individuals.

Matthew Nicholson and Cody Dipchuk, both of Caroline, pleaded guilty on April 18 to hunting during closed season, using a prohibited calibre of rifle to hunt moose, and wastage.

Both were fined $10,000 each, and they cannot hunt for five years.

Whiteside said it was a disturbing case for investigators because it was clear the moose had suffered.

Whiteside said one of the moose was pregnant with twin calves.

"Our fish and wildlife officers join the force because they love animals - they love the work they do. This is the last type of thing that they want to stumble on. It's why they take investigations on these things so seriously," Whiteside said.

Whiteside said investigators learned of the incident through the Report-A-Poacher tipline.

"Hunters are one of the best users of the Report-A-Poacher line. Some of Alberta's hunters are some of the best stewards in the province," Whiteside said.

"These two individuals give hunters a bad name."

I know a few guys that hunt and it seems to me they all poach in some way or another. They will tell me a hunting story and then I will say, "Is that legal? Isn't that poaching? They then change the topic or laugh about it. I dunno....total disrespect of game and fishing laws bug me.

You hunters that obey the laws, Good on ya! Keep on doing what you're doing. The poachers...I hope you get caught one day and lose everything. Suspending a licence won't matter. They will still go out and hunt!!

Sorry...Just a minor rant!!

Al Hunter (the only real Hunter on the board!)

I know a few guys that hunt and it seems to me they all poach in some way or another. They will tell me a hunting story and then I will say, "Is that legal? Isn't that poaching? They then change the topic or laugh about it. I dunno....total disrespect of game and fishing laws bug me.

You hunters that obey the laws, Good on ya! Keep on doing what you're doing. The poachers...I hope you get caught one day and lose everything. Suspending a licence won't matter. They will still go out and hunt!!

Sorry...Just a minor rant!!

Al Hunter (the only real Hunter on the board!)

Have seen many, many, many hunters break the rules growing up in the hunting community. From shooting out truck windows, to trespassing, and poaching. In my opinion its very common and widespread.

Didn't mean to hijack sorry.

10,000 bucks is a nice fine, but a lifetime ban would be more appropriate I think. Glad to see some fines handed out at least.

I agree the fines are good. But banning them for only 5 years? I'd say double that at the very least.

Rob

I agree the fines are good. But banning them for only 5 years? I'd say double that at the very least.

Rob

Just think though....come after the 5 yrs, the gov't will get another 10k when they do it again for spending it on whatever they want.....

I agree, growing up in a small town, I found that many hunters/fishers poached with complete disregard for the laws.

To try and say that all hunters are poachers is a joke, that's no different then classifying all fishermen as poachers because of a few bad seeds. Many hunters care just as much about conservation as any flyfisherman. Sure there's lots of goofs that don't follow the rules, but take a hard look at the fishing community and there is not much of a difference.

To try and say that all hunters are poachers is a joke, that's no different then classifying all fishermen as poachers because of a few bad seeds. Many hunters care just as much about conservation as any flyfisherman. Sure there's lots of goofs that don't follow the rules, but take a hard look at the fishing community and there is not much of a difference.

Call me naive but I hope that all "outdoorsman" follow the rules. I am just talking about the few that I know that are somewhat "naive" about the regulations. To poach/cheat just to show that you are a macho "hunter/gatherer" is lame and against the law!!

More years ago than I care to remember I was a Bailiff on the river Tweed, duly appointed by the Secretary of State for Scotland covering our association waters. We, as bailiffs, had limited powers as far as poachers went because in the majority of cases we were told to Eff Off by the offending anglers who were fishing illegal methods and/or without the correct permit for the stretch of water. We had back up from the police but in those days contacting them meant a trip to a house or phone box as a mobile phone was something you just did not own and contacting the police to take action meant a lot of poachers/illegal anglers got away with their crime.

We usually worked with the estate Ghillies as these guys were responsible for the riparian landowner's salmon waters and would let us know if there was something 'fishy' going on when we were in the area. Poaching trout never brought any substantial punishment but poaching salmon did. A former club member was caught poaching salmon and prosecuted and fined along with the destruction of his instruments of poaching - all of his tackle that was on him at the time. He also got a 'life' ban that was rescinded on appeal to 2 years.

Poaching of any type is a crime and endangerment to the wildlife, punishment should reflect this and I wish that we had as rigid a system that you guys have in order to punish and deter the individuals involved. I think that they should also have removed their firearm licenses just to cap it all.

Go Canada!

Guest Sundancefisher
I gotta agree with a lifetime ban for something as stupid as what those two did.

When chatting with hunting buddies and talking with fellow fishermen it seems like a small minority are breaking the rules... These "rebels without brains and ethics" are making a bad name for many. I have noticed a trend in that it seems the poachers are often locals that reside nearby and take advantage of hunting and fishing out of season.