Fly Fusion Forums

Reel For A 8wt <$200

I am sure this has been asked before but I am going to do it again. I need a reel for an 8wt preferrably less than $200. My wife thinks buying new is a good idea and I am encouraging her. So i think I have 2 questions, first what do you recommend and second where do you buy it? I would like a large arbor for this one and I was also wondering if I need to get a 9/10 wt to accomodate the line and backing.

I got an Okuma Integrity 8/9 for use in the salt on Vancouver Island last fall. I had no problems handling coho up to 15 lbs with it, although I didn't get any that I would call really hot. Large arbour, good drag, inexpensive. I'll be getting another spool or two and taking it down to Baja next year.

Pflueger presidentS have been good to me over the years. As have Orvis and Battinkill. My favorite is my old Hardy Reels. Just picked up an AirfloAirflo Balance. I'll give a report when I get a chance to use it. There are actually a lotof fine reelson the market today.

Martin.

Yup. I'm cheap and I also believe a reel is to hold line. The drag comes into play if you're fishing for permit but rarely do you need a high quality smooth $400 drag for fresh water fishing. The most expensive reel I have is a $200 Ross and I can't say I ever lost a fish because of the quality of the reel.

(...waiting for the barrage of responses telling me how wrong I am.... ;))