Fly Fusion Forums

When Does It Happen?

Folks,

Been thinking about the words used to describe people in Canada.

1] We have Irish Canadians, Scottish Canadians, Chinese CDN's, Japanese CDN's but how come we don't have American CDN's. After all, there are >70,000 living in the Calgary area.

2] My family has been in Canada for over 100 years and 5 generations. When do I become a Canadian Canadian? Certainly it would be foolish to link my grandkids with my grandfather. So am I a Canadian Canadian or a what-a-be?

catch ya'

Don

If you were born in Canada, you're a Canadian.

If you're a French-Canadian, yes your ancestors came from France, but I think in todays context you're a French (speaking) Canadian.

N'est pas?

But I'm still confused. Now there are French Canadians and English Canadians but only to describe those people in Canada. French Canadians are from Quebec or NB where as the English Canadians are from the rest of Canada. Now if you were born in France, emigrated to Quebec, do you become and French French Canadian. Similar rules might apply to English Canadians born in the UK.

Boy does this multicultural society get confusing.

Don

Jesus Don you're gonna give me a headache...... so I quickly came to the conclusion that I'm a Western Canadian of Dutch descent. :D But I got one for you...... there's a branch my family that immigrated to France after the War and now some of their Grandkids have immigrated and settled in Qué·bec...whatdahell does that make their children??? Specially the one who's married to a French speakin' North African???

Taco,

Posed the question to a friend and he said what about all the South African Professionals showing up in Canada. Nearly all are white. But should they be called African Americans. But African Americans, as far as I can figure, all black.

And you think you got troubles. Grandmother on Dad's side was a Laplander but born in Sweden. Married Danish. Grandmother & Grandfather on Mom's side were both US Citizens but Mom was born in Seven Persons Alberta [a place so small they considered renaming it to Eight Persons when Mom arrived. Mom carried dual citizenship till 60+ years old.

That's it, I've had it!. When Global TV comes to visit about issues in Canada, I gonna be a Canadian - Canadian.

Don