Fly Fusion Forums

Snow Pack

oldman drainage should be alright this year...

quartile_SouthRacehorseCreek.gif

however, i'm slightly worried about the castle drainage (although it doesn't look near as bad as last year)...

quartile_GardinerCreek.gif

hopefully there's not another straight month of +30 temps this summer...

Quite frankly I don't believe the reports, if you drive out to them der hills and try to get anywhere you aren't gonna make it far. There is a lot of snow still out there and if our soils get saturated before the runoff begins we're probably gonna be in for a pretty decent flood this year. The only moisture concerns I would be worried about now is getting some rain or snow to give our topsoil a drink. Crops could be in for a slow start if there ain't moisture to get them going and keep them going!

Snow pack’s misleading, its all about how it is hot, and how much rain there will be. Assuming the weather is similar to last year the crow will be below average (but not dangerously low), the castle below average, and the Oldman about normal or a bit below. It's so hard to tell but the best thing for the fish is a cool spring followed by a nice summer with mild (not cool) temps.

Who is going to get all the rain this year? Probably Grande Prairie's turn for flooding.

They got all the rain last spring Dave....took forever for us to get out working there due to the mush.

I think Red Deer is a good place for it.

Good snow pack is fine and dandy, but if you go all of July with no rainfall, you're still back at square one with fire bans, closures and low stream flows.....like last year.

Last year the snow pack in the Castle was average and Oldman a bit above. The Bow and Highwood were way above, and the Red Deer below. This year the Castle is way above and the Oldman and Highwood about average and the Bow and Red Deer below. It all comes down to the summer and spring though, my wife and I hiked up to the Ironstone Fire Lookout Tower in July and the fire tower observer told us that there had been no appreciable rain since April. We know what happened later in the summer with the ban and all. So periods of rain at regular intervals is the ideal, and lets all hope we get that this summer.