Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Resources For Beginners

headscan

Just thought I'd post a few of the resources that have really helped me out as I learn to cast with the two-handed rod, especially since there seem to be more people picking it up lately. If anyone has any to add this thread could be a great starting point for people looking to get into Spey casting.

Understanding Spey Lines by Simon Gawesworth

http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/file/Und...ines%202008.pdf

Great article on Skagit lines and for understanding cheaters:

http://www.ggacc.org/docs/Sites/1/Bulletin-2006-07.pdf

A couple of really good DVDs:

Rio's Modern Spey Casting

Spey to Z

I'm sure there are other good resources I've left out. Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good starting point for figuring out line capacities for reels:

http://www.nautilusreels.com/SpecsPricing.asp

Even if you aren't spooling a Nautilus, you can look at the single hand line capacity that's close to your reel (from the top chart) and get a rough idea of how much backing your reel might take for a two-handed line (from the bottom chart). For example, say you're putting a 7/8/9 Windcutter on a reel. If that reel holds 275 yds of 30# with a WF10 line, it's a bit bigger than a Nautilus 10. Since the Nautilus 10 takes 125 yds of 20# with a Windcutter 7/8/9, you know you can probably fit at least that much backing on your reel.

It's completely unscientific and not going to be exact since some reel manufacturers "fudge" their stated capacities, but it's helpful as a rough starting point.

Didn't wanna make a thread for this question.....

What kind of indicators are the best for spey casting? Ive been using a thingamabobber........moves down the leader quite a bit, I'm sure theres a way to secure it.

Guest bigbadbrent

Loop it through twice and tighten if it wants to move, it will then not move if you put all your weight behind it before breaking the line/indicator.

I use Corkies. They are heavier and cast much better at distance, especailly in the wind, which is often an issue on the Bow or larger rivers in general. When casting short distances, the extra weight of a corkie will help load the rod more easily. In my experience, thingamabobbers and fish pimp indicators, suck for spey casting.

i like corkies in the breeze btu ive bin loving the thingamabobs.. they hold up way more weight for there size and splash alot less and are way easier too see further out because they ride much higher on the water

check out any dvd by henrik mortensen!

Have to agree. I've been watching Distance and Delicacy and it's a great video. I guess Henrik just left Scierra for Zpey so his first four dvds may not be available from Scierra for much longer.