Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Trip Success

YugoSpice

Well, what a weekend it was. It was my first trip to the Bow and what a great impression, you guys truly have a gem. I want to send a HUGE thanks to RickR for being so friendly and helping us out with some great spots, one specifically where I caught the biggest rainbow to date. You truly are a gentleman and I hope the fish gods shine down on you this year for your generosity towards us :). We tried various places that included SouthLand Dog Park, Fish Creek, Policeman's, and a few "secrets". The "secret" spot was the most amazing though as I landed my biggest bow at around 23" (estimate). It fought like no other fish and I could not believe how hard it was to move out of the current. I eventually had to drag it downstream where my buddy could land it, and even then the fish would take a few long runs. The other successful spot was just upstream of Policeman's where we landed a few nice football sized browns. Shouthland netted a 12" brown as well. Anyways, I hope to make another trip this summer and this time maybe hit up Rick for some beers. I would also like to thank the many forum members that offered tips on where to camp as well as the two guys that offered full hookup in their backyards. Anyways, here are some photos from the weekend. I only have pictures of my one rainbow but my other friends have pictures of the Browns caught, maybe I'll get them and post em in the future.

2008-April-_1.JPG

2008-April-_2.JPG

2008-April-_3.JPG

2008-April-_4.JPG

2008-April-_5.JPG

2008-April-_6.JPG

2008-April-_7.JPG

2008-April-_8.JPG

Hey Boys,

Sure glad to hear you had fun and success! It is a real accomplishment to catch fish on this river first time out.

Funny thing about "spots". I gave these guys a general area to fish, nothing very specific. Where they pulled the rainbow out of, I haven't actually fished before.

So you guys did it on your own. Major congratulations.

I'll take that beer anytime.

Glad you guys had fun. Looks like you made it down to the area with the spruce trees. I was the guy you talked to at the parking lot.

Nice. Thanks a lot for leaving the place to us. Always nice to put a face to a name too :). Didn't realize it was such a walk as I now have a strained Achilles tendon (damn wading boots) ... but I would gladly do it again to fish that stretch of water.

come back in the summer, the rainbows are still fighting slow compared to then!

Then I will have to clip my 3x and get some 1x because I was so close to breaking off ... Actually, I don't think I've ever had to put that much pressure on my little 5wt. You guys have some mighty fine bows for sure. Mine was a little strange though as it looked like the trout we have up here in our pothole lakes, very green and grey. I was expecting to see silvery steelhead-like rainbows.

No problem Yugo. I only fight over spots with Rick. I wouldn't hassle visitors. Hopefully your tendon calms down. I ruptured mine a while ago and it takes a long time to get back to wading. My calf muscle never did recovery fully. Hopefully you get a chance to exercise some of Rick's private trout again soon.

You'd be surprised how much force you can put on 3x. I ran out of 2 and 3 in the past couple of weeks and have been using 8# Flouro. Forgot that in the car and had to result to 4X yesterday. Had a big fish take me to my backing, but got it turned around and all the way back. Just try to avoid sudden load!