Fly Fusion Forums

A Hello From Manitoba

Just posting this to introuduce myself. I am a 16 yearold flyfisher hailing from a province nearly devoid of flyfishers, but not of flyfishing opportunities. I consider myself a novice fisher and caster as well as a novice fly tier. I've been fishing for about a year now, and only have a few fish under my belt. Most of my fish on the fly have been channel catfish, a few of which have broked the 30 inch mark and put up a hell of a fight on an 8wt.

The reason i have joined this forum is to learn about some fishing oppotunities in calgary, since i usually make it out there for a few weeks in the summer.

Alex

Hey Pegger. Welcome to the board.

If I were you I'd contact the Canadian Fly Fisher magazine and check out the February/April 2007 edition of the Canadian Fly Fisher magazine. In it is an article by Phil Rowley about the Tiger Trout in Manitoba. When Phil was in Calgary last time I talked to him about fishing for these tiger trout. He was so excited he was drooling about it and almost spitting at me while he was talking to me about them. He was like a kid in a candy shop. If I were you I'd read the article and get out to Twin Lake and find some of these babies.

Apparently they are a hybrid of a fish. Crossed between a female brown trout and a male brook trout.

From what Phil said they are extremely aggressive.

Here is the contact information for the Canadian Fly Fisher magazine.

The Canadian Fly Fisher

389 Bridge St. West

Belleville, Ontario

Canada, K8N 4Z2

Phone (613) 966-8017

Toll free 1-888-805-5608

email mail:info@canflyfish.com

I found a tag in the middle of the magazine that I have and it says they charge only $7.00 for a back issue. Shipping and taxes included.

Rob, no I don't own the magazine. But it's about fly fishing so I bought it.

Hey Pegger. Welcome to the board.

If I were you I'd check out the February/April edition of the Canadian Fly Fisher magazine. In it is an article by Phil Rowley about the Tiger Trout in Manitoba. When Phil was in Calgary last time I talked to him about fishing for these tiger trout. He was so excited he was drooling about it and almost spitting at me while he was talking to me about them. He was like a kid in a candy shop. If I were you I'd read the article and get out to Twin Lake and find some of these babies.

Apparently they are a hybrid of a fish. Crossed between a female brown trout and a male brook trout.

From what Phil said they are extremely aggressive.

Rob

Great point... :D