Fly Fusion Forums

Acoustic Guitars

This may a little off topic but a question for all you guitar players.

I'm going to be in the market for an acoustic guitar. My daughter took my old one so that gives me an excuse to buy a new one. Which store in Calgary has the biggest selection new or used? Living in Medicine Hat, my choices are limited. I have a choice of Fender and Takamine or Takamine and Fender and I'm not stuck on either one.

You're right about that Toolman. I plan on making a day of it trying out a lot of different ones. I guess a guitar is like a fly rod. It has to feel just right.

Apparently the brand name "garrison" is getting good reviews for the price. Made in Newfoundland. I will have to try one out.

I gotta redcommend Guitar Works, they got the stuff & the buys know what they're on about. I also highly recommend Simon & Patrick & Segal (Seagull) guitars. I have a S&P Pro Flame Maple & it sounds better & feels better than a Fender twice it's price. IMHO.

I'm also not a rock star, so for all that think that I am, sorry for the let down.

You're right about that Toolman. I plan on making a day of it trying out a lot of different ones. I guess a guitar is like a fly rod. It has to feel just right.

Apparently the brand name "garrison" is getting good reviews for the price. Made in Newfoundland. I will have to try one out.

If the Garrison is made by Chris Griffiths (Griffiths Guitar works)..It'll be nothing but fabulous..I have a friend who owned a couple of axes made by him and .. WOW ..

My downfall is that I am a totally self taught player but I managed to do alright. Played in several bands over the years until it got to be too much. ( Cut into my fishing time) Then my guitars went into the closet also until my daughter took my acoustic. Well, I kinda gave it to her. I'm getting the itch to play again but for my entertainment purposes only.

I'm even thinking about formal lessons. Better late than never. It would keep my busy over the winter. I mean you can only tie so many flies. There should be alot of websites that have tips and tricks also.

Off to Bullshead today :)

After I moved here, I had my box set up at Guitar Works on 17th NW. Had no complaints, at all.

I have a bottom of the barrel Larivee (out of BC) and it is a gem. It sounds as good as a guitar 2-3x the price. It is the 01 series; hard to find, but if you come across one, buy it.

I have a takamine G series guitar that was sitting in the closet for awhile now but seeing you're post has brought it back out and now I want to relearn the whole deftones album accoustically again!

I just bought a Tak G series (the EG523SC natural finish), how do you like yours?

I heard the new ones out of the new Chinese factory are mostly baked because in China, to save money with air conditioning some idiot started opening up the workshop doors! For those of you who don't understand this, the wood is seasoned at a certain humidity and built afterwards. If you open the doors on a hot muggy humid day in China all that wood warps quickly creating problems in the final product.

If your G series is older an made at the Korean factory - you should be safe and your box should have all the qualities of that line.

I really like the sound out of my 523 but had a bit of a fret buzz on the low strings near the nut. Some work fixed it up but my luthier must have fallen asleep on the B string dropping the action a VERY wee bit and ground too low, now I have a buzz only on the B string...grr! A new nut can fix that right up - but sheesh!

Anyway the tone is really nice from that guitar for the cost. Very comparable to some much higher end guitars - nice MOP and Abalone inlays too for that price.

If you want to get into a new guitar for a cheap price, don't neglect these Art & Luthiere guitars out of Quebec. A buddy of mine bought the natural finish cedar top model and I was VERY impressed with the tone coming out of it. Further, because it's built/seasoned in Canada - no worries with a humidifier, etc. for the first 5 years or so. Damn fine product for the price IMHO.

Other good models with bang for the low buck are, as mentioned: Seagul, Takamine (the Jasmine series is MUCH better since they upped the quality now - old ones are *hit though - stay away), and the A & L as I mentioned. Also, bear in mind that, IMHO, the Yamaha is likely the most underrated guitars on the market. Like all guitar shopping, PLAY THEM ALL!! One guitar of the same make and model can sound quite different from the next so sift through the same model guitars til you find one that...well, just feels right in your hands (sounds good too!). Then ensure that is the one you buy and not another from a box in the back somewhere. Also, ENSURE!!!!!!!!! that upon purchase when they tell you they'll set it up that it's set up by a REAL technician/luthier and not some sales guy slapping some strings on it as so often happens. A real luthier will adjust the truss rod to fine tune the neck (DON'T let anyone other than a trained tech do this either!), adjust the action (using mathematics in conjunction with the guitars design, string gauge, etc.), check even fret heights etc. It's always worth the extra money (always!!) to pay a good luthier to fine tune your guitar.

A new guitar takes about 5 years to "break in". If you buy it and store it properly (in the case w/ humidifier) and don't play it, after 5 years you still have a new guitar - not broken in. Playing it (playing it in) takes a few years and the vibrations will "set in" the wood from playing. This further enhances the tone over time to improve it. That's why sometimes you pick up an old guitar and go "HOLY *hit - does this sound good!".

You can spend as little as 100 bucks (not advised) or as much as tens of thousands on a guitar. Beware used guitar shops - if you don't have the eye to gauge neck warps (hard to see), loosened braces on the inside, or other such guitar wounds you could be in for a long haul. Some used guitars just need an experienced luthier to operate and fix em up real nice. Gotta be really careful though! I've found some guitars hanging in used shops for a thousand dollars and based on their injuries realized they were worth about 50 bucks (broken/separated braces, lifted bridges, etc.).

The bridge of the guitar, aside from the neck, is one of the most critical spots, as the sound is generated and transferred at the bridge (through the saddle). A good solid, tight bridge can often carry a pretty shitty guitar. Tuning pegs/machine heads, nuts, saddles (not the bridge), strings, scratches, finish, frets, etc. are all just lipstick and rouge. Basically the electric windows and radio in a car - I'd rather buy the engine. Distinguish between the two - learn how the engine works - then you can pick wisely from a used rack of guitars.

Waaaaaaaay too much info for most folks on the board I'm sure. Sorry I got carried away.

Best of luck and if you're learning - stick with it! Like fly casting, it takes years to get to that point where you feel like you actually have any skill whatsoever (In my case it seems I'll never get there...!). When you do, it's worth it.

I will be watching this very cloesly. I want to learn to play about as much as anything... so I am in the market for 1) a new or used beginner's guitar... hopefully a fairly nice one, and 2) someone or something to learn from... like a series of tapes, videos, books etc that will teach me the basics... PM me if you can help out.. :lol:

I just bought a Tak G series (the EG523SC natural finish), how do you like yours?

I heard the new ones out of the new Chinese factory are mostly baked because in China, to save money with air conditioning some idiot started opening up the workshop doors! For those of you who don't understand this, the wood is seasoned at a certain humidity and built afterwards. If you open the doors on a hot muggy humid day in China all that wood warps quickly creating problems in the final product.

If your G series is older an made at the Korean factory - you should be safe and your box should have all the qualities of that line.

I really like the sound out of my 523 but had a bit of a fret buzz on the low strings near the nut. Some work fixed it up but my luthier must have fallen asleep on the B string dropping the action a VERY wee bit and ground too low, now I have a buzz only on the B string...grr! A new nut can fix that right up - but sheesh!

Anyway the tone is really nice from that guitar for the cost. Very comparable to some much higher end guitars - nice MOP and Abalone inlays too for that price.

If you want to get into a new guitar for a cheap price, don't neglect these Art & Luthiere guitars out of Quebec. A buddy of mine bought the natural finish cedar top model and I was VERY impressed with the tone coming out of it. Further, because it's built/seasoned in Canada - no worries with a humidifier, etc. for the first 5 years or so. Damn fine product for the price IMHO.

Other good models with bang for the low buck are, as mentioned: Seagul, Takamine (the Jasmine series is MUCH better since they upped the quality now - old ones are *hit though - stay away), and the A & L as I mentioned. Also, bear in mind that, IMHO, the Yamaha is likely the most underrated guitars on the market. Like all guitar shopping, PLAY THEM ALL!! One guitar of the same make and model can sound quite different from the next so sift through the same model guitars til you find one that...well, just feels right in your hands (sounds good too!). Then ensure that is the one you buy and not another from a box in the back somewhere. Also, ENSURE!!!!!!!!! that upon purchase when they tell you they'll set it up that it's set up by a REAL technician/luthier and not some sales guy slapping some strings on it as so often happens. A real luthier will adjust the truss rod to fine tune the neck (DON'T let anyone other than a trained tech do this either!), adjust the action (using mathematics in conjunction with the guitars design, string gauge, etc.), check even fret heights etc. It's always worth the extra money (always!!) to pay a good luthier to fine tune your guitar.

A new guitar takes about 5 years to "break in". If you buy it and store it properly (in the case w/ humidifier) and don't play it, after 5 years you still have a new guitar - not broken in. Playing it (playing it in) takes a few years and the vibrations will "set in" the wood from playing. This further enhances the tone over time to improve it. That's why sometimes you pick up an old guitar and go "HOLY *hit - does this sound good!".

You can spend as little as 100 bucks (not advised) or as much as tens of thousands on a guitar. Beware used guitar shops - if you don't have the eye to gauge neck warps (hard to see), loosened braces on the inside, or other such guitar wounds you could be in for a long haul. Some used guitars just need an experienced luthier to operate and fix em up real nice. Gotta be really careful though! I've found some guitars hanging in used shops for a thousand dollars and based on their injuries realized they were worth about 50 bucks (broken/separated braces, lifted bridges, etc.).

The bridge of the guitar, aside from the neck, is one of the most critical spots, as the sound is generated and transferred at the bridge (through the saddle). A good solid, tight bridge can often carry a pretty shitty guitar. Tuning pegs/machine heads, nuts, saddles (not the bridge), strings, scratches, finish, frets, etc. are all just lipstick and rouge. Basically the electric windows and radio in a car - I'd rather buy the engine. Distinguish between the two - learn how the engine works - then you can pick wisely from a used rack of guitars.

Waaaaaaaay too much info for most folks on the board I'm sure. Sorry I got carried away.

Best of luck and if you're learning - stick with it! Like fly casting, it takes years to get to that point where you feel like you actually have any skill whatsoever (In my case it seems I'll never get there...!). When you do, it's worth it.

Not too much information Griz. It something that every buyer should know and if you don't know what to look for in a guitar, take someone with you that does know when your out shopping for one. My brother in law bought one with buzz on the higher frets but only on the bottom strings. When I sighted the neck, you could see a definite twist in it. Being a newbie he didn't know to check for twist and warpage. However, the store did let him exchange it.

So Brian, if you go shopping take a knowlegable person with you if you know someone. Even a low end guitar should not be a dog to play. It should feel right.

hawgstoppah :) ill show you how to play^^ ive taught a few people to play over the years :) just a note on the garrison :) my buddy bought 1 Loves it!! but the electronic fell out after a month on stage:) still plays it thou:) for the price&sound it pretty hard to beat the yamaha^^ just my 2 cents

Randy:

I don't know if I agree with you on not needing a humidifier for guitars build in Canada. I have a Garrison G30 and the top has cracked right up to to the saddle and then a bit more on the top. As for that buzz, could you also not get the frets filed down to high precision. I know a guy that has all his frets filed down on all his guitars..acoustic, classical electric, his guitars play awesome and flawlessly plus he is the best player I have ever played with/watched play. I have never really had the money to get it done (about $100 was the price at the time), but I it would be worth it...The action on those guitars was soo low and there wasn't a buzz on any string on any fret. Although my Garrison cracked (and of course I haven't taken it in to the shop) I love the tone and sustain that it has. Harmonics seem to resonate forever, and are soo crisp and clean.

I think it is about the quality of wood and workmanship. My 74' Gibson SG Specail is still mint and I have dragged it across the country touring for allmost 20 years. I bought it at Ring Music in Toronto, in 1976. It is my favorite axe, of the dozens I have owned and played. It is a 7 piece laminated body made of Honduras Mahogany, neck through body with Indian Rosewood fret board, real mother of pearl inlay. Very unique and the only one I have ever seen. I talked to Gibsons guitar historian down in Nashville a few years back and his records indicated only 400 were ever produced worldwide.

I used to also own a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top, but I sold it for $ 400 and a bag of weed, back in 1981. What a bad move that was. Oh well, young and stupid. I wonder what it would be worth today.

I think it is about the quality of wood and workmanship. My 74' Gibson SG Specail is still mint and I have dragged it across the country touring for allmost 20 years. I bought it at Ring Music in Toronto, in 1976. It is my favorite axe, of the dozens I have owned and played. It is a 7 piece laminated body made of Honduras Mahogany, neck through body with Indian Rosewood fret board, real mother of pearl inlay. Very unique and the only one I have ever seen. I talked to Gibsons guitar historian down in Nashville a few years back and his records indicated only 400 were ever produced worldwide.

I used to also own a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top, but I sold it for $ 400 and a bag of weed, back in 1981. What a bad move that was. Oh well, young and stupid. I wonder what it would be worth today.

Greg, my brother does custom designed furniture and he said that you can't even buy Honduran mahogony anymore. My uncle has a couple tables made out of it and my brother was trying to get some and he had to go with something different. So that guitar is probably worth quite a bit based on the wood alone, plus how many of the 400 are really still around...Cool guitar to have man! I popped into that shop in the Pass that's right on the highway (don't think it's there anymore) and we got talking to the guy and he busted out this guitar he had made himself...it was awful looking, but it had one of the best sounds and tone I've ever heard from a guitar. He also had rigged up a huge homemade pickup before you could even get that type of thing for acoustics.

How big was the bag?????????????????

An OZ of Panama Red, fresh off the local freighter that was docked at the wharf in town...Back then I thought I did pretty good on the deal. In hindsight, the exact same model of 74' Gold Top was recently sold on e-bay, for about 85K US, it may have been a good idea to keep it.

An OZ of Panama Red, fresh off the local freighter that was docked at the wharf in town...Back then I thought I did pretty good on the deal. In hindsight, the exact same model of 74' Gold Top was recently sold on e-bay, for about 85K US, it may have been a good idea to keep it.

I know what you mean. If we would have known then what we know now. I was the owner of a Dan Armstrong Ampeg with a clear plexi-glass body. It came with wooden bridge and 2 pickups that you slid in and out of the body to change the sound. There were only made in 1967-68 I believe. Saw one in a magazine a while back and they have become a collectors item although it didn't state the value :(