Fly Fusion Forums

Floating Line Sinks

Wanny

I have a fairly new GPX WF6F and the first like 8 feet tend to sink. I picked up SA Fly line dressing and have been applying it the last few trips. The dressing makes a huge difference but not long after is sinks again..... like with in a trip.

Did not protecting it from day 1 hurt it? Any suggestions?

That doesn't sound right at all. I have a GPX line that I beat up and abused and it still floats. How old is it exactly? If you haven't had it long it might be worth bringing back. Almost sounds like a manufacturing flaw. Maybe it didn't get treated properly with the "Dry Tip Technology"...

if u ever cut the end of your line its possible that water has seeped into the tip...... let hang too dry for a week ro so and give it a go....... might be a flaw too like headscan mentioned... is it all cracked? fishing any streamers with it?

I have cut the end of it but i have not seen any other cracks. I cast the odd streamer, not very often though. Maybe i will give the drying a shot.... it will mean a break from fishing though.

So if it is due to the line being cut is there a way to stop that from happening again?

I'm guessing you cut it to change a leader that was nail knotted on. What you could try is making a loop at the end of the line so you're doing a loop to loop connection with your leader. Use some UV Knot Sense or something similar to cover the tip of the line after making the loop so the water doesn't seep in (after drying it like Max said).

It's a PVC Coating and there lies the difficulty . Because of the small diameter on the forward taper there isn't enough material to mainlain a float. You can try bringing along a dripping small rag with liquid dish detergent and run your line through it regularly. I would doubt if the cut end would contribute to the core getting too wet and dragging the line under.

You might consider going to a floating Poly tip and leader. Likely enough to keep the small dry fly on the surface. The worst scenario is to cut off he forward tape,create a loop and use a 10' Floating Polytip

C

Hi Wanny,

You can buy stuff at a auto centre, that is used for cleaning the plastic bumpers on cars, it will make anything float , not sure what it will be called over your side of the pond, but its cheap and works wonders, and you wont miss out on the fishing.

Gordon.

You can try bringing along a dripping small rag with liquid dish detergent and run your line through it regularly.

Ya what i have been doing is applying the dressing during my trip.

I think i am going to try and dry it out and hope that works. I read elsewhere online to apply a dab of super glue to the cut end to keep water out. Is this safe for the line?

Thanks for all the advise so far.

K so i talked to SA and they will replace the line i just have to mail it in, i will have to suck it up and wait a few weeks for it. I do have a sink tip line though..... guess i have to get better at streamer fishing some time.

K so i talked to SA and they will replace the line i just have to mail it in, i will have to suck it up and wait a few weeks for it. I do have a sink tip line though..... guess i have to get better at streamer fishing some time.

If it was me, I'd go back to the store you bought it from. They may give you another one, while sending yours away and they just get the new one when it comes in, not leaving you stranded without a line....Troutfitters has been great to me for that. Had line troubles(much the same as yours) with two lines and they replaced them for me and shipped my bad ones off to SA.

ive seen a ton of lines start too sink........ too much nymphin..... cutting and chopping mixed in with shitty care and drying maitnence........... good on SA for swappin u lines.... like others mentioned once u have cut and changed your buttsection use epoxy or uv knot sense too seal it off so water can get in while fishing.

muscilin is also great for making line float when they start too sink... practically makes a sinktip float lmao jj....... apply before your day out.....

I went back to Troutfitters and they set me up with a line to use while the other on is gone, awesome service.

I'll be sure to seal cut fly line ends for now on, i had no idea that it could cause a problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I went back to Troutfitters and they set me up with a line to use while the other on is gone, awesome service.

I'll be sure to seal cut fly line ends for now on, i had no idea that it could cause a problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

If it doesn't have a loop, try putting on a loop connector that way you don't have to cut it...

P

Don't forget that the Snowbee lines are also a Polyuretane coating with a braided core that dosen't have memory. Air Flo has had problerms around that as had Rio ,both are changeing somewhat. Mono core lines are actually better in the tropic conditions actually helping to maintain line integrity. I do like the looped ends...better system.

Thats what I do to every line,loop the end of the line itself,several nail knots and finish with either Aquaseal or UV cure. Have had none fail,!

• 3 weeks later...
Don't forget that the Snowbee lines are also a Polyuretane coating with a braided core that dosen't have memory. Air Flo has had problerms around that as had Rio ,both are changeing somewhat. Mono core lines are actually better in the tropic conditions actually helping to maintain line integrity. I do like the looped ends...better system.

Thats what I do to every line,loop the end of the line itself,several nail knots and finish with either Aquaseal or UV cure. Have had none fail,!

Courtney,

What kind of loop knot is used for this, so that the knot isn't bulky (please illustrate if possible) - as opposed to using a loop connecter where the transition is smooth?! What (if any) is your (or other's) exp. with SA's L2L connect system... Good, bad or ugly?!

Peter

P.S. In re-reading your response I think you use a nail knot to secure the standing and running ends of your loop that are parallel to each other, nes pas?! And do not actally tie a loop knot, per se?! Therefore it's a fairly smooth transition... Along with that, what material do you use for the nail knot, mono or dacron?

I think this is what Courtney was talking about...

web.jpg

Sorry about the lousy image quality. The line was folded back on itself then three nail knots of 10lb Maxima tied on. Put a thin coat of UV knot sense to strengthen the whole thing and streamline it. If the back end of it won't go through the guides without catching use the UV knot sense to make a sort of ramp/wedge or bullet shape. That line has it but you can't make it out because of the bad pic quality. You can also try cutting the tag end of the fly line at an angle but it can be difficult to do properly with some thicker lines.

I think this is what Courtney was talking about...

web.jpg

Sorry about the lousy image quality. The line was folded back on itself then three nail knots of 10lb Maxima tied on. Put a thin coat of UV knot sense to strengthen the whole thing and streamline it. If the back end of it won't go through the guides without catching use the UV knot sense to make a sort of ramp/wedge or bullet shape. That line has it but you can't make it out because of the bad pic quality. You can also try cutting the tag end of the fly line at an angle but it can be difficult to do properly with some thicker lines.

BINGO!

Thanks!

P