1. 1. Most hated material

• Deer/Elk Hair
    • Dubbing
    • Thread
    • Bunny strips
    • Chenille
    • Other

Guest bigbadbrent

Unless you're spinning it, why bother with deer hair then? Most caddis will be fine tied with elk, which is easier to work with

i hate glue and epoxy

I am just starting out and am having a heck of a time with dubbing. Any tricks to it? I am using wax tried to do a couple without and that didn't work at first...L

are there any tricks to get it evenly on the threat and uniformed so it goes on the hook better mine is all clumpy. maybe I am putting on too much.

Any fly with a goose biot tail. I can never get them to spread the way I want. Drives me nuts. I've seen some tie in both biots at the same time and I'm just in awe.

Some ideas that I thought I would share:

- I always slap on the hand lotion when using deer/elk hair. Stops the loose hair and underfur from sticking like magnets to my hands.

- One day at the bank the teller had this little plastic thing used to moisten her fingers for counting money. I can't turn two pages without licking my finger so I asked her where she got it and if she liked it. They buy it from a local stationary place so I went and got some. It's great for dubbing. Not a wax, just a moisturizer.

- if your dubbing is looking clumpy your probably using too much at once. Dub more sparsely and use more wraps.

I am just starting out and am having a heck of a time with dubbing. Any tricks to it? I am using wax tried to do a couple without and that didn't work at first...L

are there any tricks to get it evenly on the threat and uniformed so it goes on the hook better mine is all clumpy. maybe I am putting on too much.

Two tricks:

Apply in sparse amounts and build gradually.

Also, spin one way only. I spin by pushing with the thumb.

.........are there any tricks to get it evenly on the threat and uniformed so it goes on the hook better mine is all clumpy. maybe I am putting on too much.

I agree with the previous post -- less dubbing on the thread and more wraps makes for better control. Also, keep good thread tension when wrapping. Lastly, wax is a must (for me at least) when dealing coarse spikey dubbing. However, use it only when necessary -- otherwise, I find it helpful to moisten my finger tips. I keep a wet sponge on my tying desk for that purpose.

Re the main topic: my least favourite material is floss. It's always fun trying to keep it from "untwisting" and with my rough hands, it is easily frayed. I usually sandpaper (use emery board, not belt sander) my fingers before dealing with it

Terry

i hate glue and epoxy

I second that, Zap-a-Gap, epoxy, hot glue, E-Z shape, Tuffleye...I hate them all. If you're not getting material that you don't want stuck to it, stuck to it, it's getting stuck to you, your tools or your bench. Though out of all of them, I think Tuffleye is probably the best to work with.

I also struggle with deer hair. Elk hair is easier but the strands are too big for little caddis like 16s. Deer hair never stays where I want it.

I just recently discovered going really thin with the dubbing and doing more wraps- so much better! Dubbing used to be my least fav. but now its all good. I'm always suprised on how little dubbing you need.

I agree with the previous post -- less dubbing on the thread and more wraps makes for better control. Also, keep good thread tension when wrapping. Lastly, wax is a must (for me at least) when dealing coarse spikey dubbing. However, use it only when necessary -- otherwise, I find it helpful to moisten my finger tips. I keep a wet sponge on my tying desk for that purpose.

Re the main topic: my least favourite material is floss. It's always fun trying to keep it from "untwisting" and with my rough hands, it is easily frayed. I usually sandpaper (use emery board, not belt sander) my fingers before dealing with it

Terry

oh a belt sander on the fingers would be killer ;)

• 2 weeks later...