Fly Fusion Forums

Birthday Time

Spent some time this winter with my daughter building her first fly rod. We were able to work together in almost every step, and she got to pick out the colours, name on the rod, guides, etc. We think it turned out to be a pretty good 7th birthday present. The reel was an after thought...but after all the time we put into the rod, we had to get the matching reel.

-Rod is a 7' fly logic 3/4wt (bought an extra blank so I have a spare if the tip gets broken)

-Reel is fly logic in wild berry colour

-Line is Sci Ang Headstart 4 wt

-Reel seat is fly logic in wild berry colour (actually started with the reel seat and built the rod around it)

-Handle has burl at both ends and was shaped to fit her hand

-Madeira thread and silver metallic with cp. She was dead set on the rod reading 'nature girl'...cause she likes nature :)

-Stripper guide has a holographic insert that glimmers green, blue and pink in the sun light

-Rest of guides are single foot wires.

Now I will have to build one for my 4 year old when she turns 7!

But wrap

nature%20girl.JPG

Stripper guide

stripper%20cropped.JPG

Reel

back%20of%20reel.JPG

Reel

front%20of%20reel.JPG

Trying it out in the back yard

in%20use.JPG

Next step is for daughter and Mom to sew a rod sock.

Thanks guys...not too sure who's more proud, Daddy or her. She can easily cast it 20', and that's good enough for BH (we are going to need to make a little rod leash though cause Daddy's a little paranoid right now)

Oh Timmy ... that garish line simply haaasssss to go. Perhaps something in a fuchsia with a hint of rose.

:P:P

Well, I'm in Whitefish right now hitting a couple of fly shops with my daughter. So she sees the fly line section and says the EXACT SAME THING! :)