Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead

I like the Loons too. Had one almost take my fingers off once it wanted my fish so bad. They sure get aggressive sometimes when you are releasing a fish.

I'll trade the occasional Loon trying to steal my fish for their songs on the lake any time though.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time a good solid triploid takes you for a ride you'll blink a couple times! I know I did. Then you'll crap your pants when you find out that fish that rallied 60 feet of line n backing out was only 16" :blink:

I can't wait ;)

Guest bigbadbrent

very interesting

shows that even the slightest difference fits a niche better then another..

cool, though if the water gets to 21 degrees, that'd be the least to worry about

I had EXACTLY the same experience at Douglas Lake Ranch with the loons..........But I like loons for some reason.......Same CANNOY be said for pelicans and cormorrants........Fish eatin' bastards!!..........

Wow, are you ever prejudiced! You like loons because they look good and have a nice voice. Cormorants are ugly and have the worst croaking sound I've ever heard. Pelicans are ugly too!

Ospreys eat fish, does anyone shoot slingshots at them? Or is it somehow more noble if a bird eats fish by diving at them majestically from the sky? Bald Eagles eat fish, and are also scavengers. Don't hear anyone bad mouthing them. What about bears?

Poor Cormorants and Pelicans. It ain't there fault they are ugly, and probably from America.

Just teasing.

Guest Sundancefisher
Poor Cormorants and Pelicans. It ain't there fault they are ugly, and probably from America.

I like them Canadian Pelicans...them American Pelicans are noisy and obnoxious.

Hey monger...I think you have just admitted to aiding and abedding a person in the willful act of harming an endangered species...

Anyone know a rewards tips line...I am short a rod and reel for an upcoming trip and can use the dough!

:-)

Sun

P.S. I once took a grebe out of a gill net...still alive and very feisty. When I untaggled it and tossed it away from the Canoe it turned and literally attacked my arms. I had on the thick green insulating rubber gloves and in 10 seconds had them shredded. I am freaked at the thought of what it could of done had I not had gloves on or came at my face.

I have lots of respect for those big birds!

Some have said, "they are not endangered enough!"

I found it interesting while wading in a Montana river to find pelicans that had made incredible dives down in the river and ended up with 5lb rocks in their bills. What do you think the chances of that would be? (Especially since white pelicans don't dive).

White pelicans and Rocky mountain whitefish are not the most popular in Montana.

Mr. Sundance, if that is your real name, do not be jealous that I am "abedding" someone else. I am a fish whore after all. I think you should use the term abetting though.

I got off topic on this thread... as well as everyone else..."bloom" started this thread about triploids...and we should maybe stay on that track, as I don't know a whole lot about triploids...And I'am sure alot of us don't know a whole lot as well...Lets talk Triploids...cuzz I'am sure interested in them...And we should all try to learn something new about this new species... that are being intoduced into southern A.B. still waters.

Cheers ..... JEFF. :D

Thanx monger, for someore interesting info...I have done a fair bit of reding today about Triploids...And starting to wonder...''Is it a big advantage to have these fish stocked in our lakes?''

What do you guys and gals think?

Iam not against it by any means!...I find it VERY interesting to be able to fish for a new species...

Based on what has happened in many BC lakes, I think there is a good chance we will see some fatter 20" fish in three years. Results will vary due to differences in water chemistry, food availability, disease resistance, water temp adaptation and angling pressure etc. I think it is a good idea to try this experiment. If stocking numbers continue to decrease we will eventually get some serious growth.

Triploids are not a new species, just a genetically altered strain of the same old thing.

I understand they are not a new species...But from Ive read...They seem to be a fair bit new to southern AB. I totally agree with stocking them...And from what I have read today, and under the RIGHT CONDITIONS...We are going to have one Hell of a fishery :) ...Than we all ready have. Can't Imagine that!!! :D

bh3-1.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

4e8ac5c7.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0588.jpg

06171551a.jpg

The difference Jeff will be the female triploids will be shiny, chrome fish that are heavy due to muscle, not full of eggs like the fish of the past. That's why Tako is calling the spawners "boots".

Ya...they can be a little boot like while in the spawning mode. :ph34r:...Did I just say that?

Hey beed....sizzle. Recall all of those! Sweet stuff.

Monger said, "Man Al, you and Clive are cranky old buggers." Al ... FINALLY the recognition we deserve. We HAVE arrived at a higher level of oldfartism.

Cranky Old Farts R Us. I think Andersen qualifies too. ;)

Thanks for the compliment monger. Made my day. If I am gonna be a crank it is nice to be acknowledged. :lol:

No problem Clive. My buddies and I are 15 years behind you so we are still "mongers r us". I'll be watching, listening and learning to see how it is done while you slide into retirement. We have already noticed a little "oldfartism" creeping into our thinking. Hopefully with time we will get more cranky so we can get some things changed like you guys!

Cheers, Rob

No problem Clive. My buddies and I are 15 years behind you so we are still "mongers r us". I'll be watching, listening and learning to see how it is done while you slide into retirement. We have already noticed a little "oldfartism" creeping into our thinking. Hopefully with time we will get more cranky so we can get some things changed like you guys!

Cheers, Rob

I enjoyed the compliment too, Rob!!...........I worked hard to become a codger and I'm enjoying every minute of it!!...........And you know what??............It ain't hard to be cranky!!..........With all the stupid people in the world doing stupid things, you never run out of things to be pissed about!!...........It's a great job though and you and your Bud's will enjoy it!!

Al.....

There is a lot of misconceptions on this board regarding triploids. Triploids simply DO NOT grow faster or larger than diploids. It has never been shown so dream on if you think the size of fish will increase. The benefits of triploidy include fish not becoming spawn bound or turning into boots and sterility to prevent genetic contamination.

WB.. I understood they grow faster AND bigger AND lived longer because they are not subjected to the physiological stresses of aborted breeding processes. Guess I need to read up on trips.

Hijacking!

Allan is WAY younger than me (a couple of years anyway), but he is to be admired for his advance level of geezerism. Man, you just once have to hear him break off a big fish. You want to have your young ones out of ear shot..usually the next county. As for stoopid pipple and stoopid rules...he is the master. The only reasons I stick around him are:

• To learn more bad words.
  • To learn more about the art of geezerism.
  • To see just exactly WTF he will do next. :lol:
  • He makes great soup and sandwiches.
  • He likes me to stand up wind when I smoke a cigar...which suits me cause his waders are as bad as mine.
  • He memory is bad so I can tell him the same joke several times--if I can remember the jokes in the first place.
Clive

PS: SJW ..we maybe need a password-protected forum for old people. Password will be "drool." :P