Fly Fusion Forums

Sharkskin Again

walker1

• 1 year later...

I got a bad case of blood poisoning and ended up in the ER because of Sharkskin, never again will I use this *hit. It's noisy and if you spend a few days on the water stripping it or just regular casting it will wear a hole in your finger and who knows what will come of it. I know what happened to me and it wasn't nice.

Guest rickleblanc

skibum, imagine what the saltwater Sharkskin would be like. I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing more painful. On the bright side, the salt might keep the wound clean as it cuts you.

Worst fly fishing innovation, ever.

Rick

I've been using the Sharkskin running line on one of my spey rods - lots of shooting and stripping line - and haven't had anything close to that. It can make my fingers a little raw, but that's it. Think of how many times you scrape/nick/cut your hands in a regular day of fishing (hook in the finger anyone?) then stick your hands in the water. I don't think many of us have gotten blood poisoning from that. Sounds like a unique case to me.

I had one for a year and it got wrecked pretty fast. It floats and mends really well. I am mostly a dry fly guy so I never stripped it. The noise is no big deal, actually it was good 'cause my reel is quiet when line is going out so it was the only noise I heard as the fish were running!! I'm trying a RIO Gold now and it's pretty good.

I don't want to deter anyone from trying sharkskin, it does cast well and mends fantastically, I was super stoked on it when I got it. I just wanted folks to know what happened to me after 3 days of fishing it. I have quit the opposite to office hands and I do get many line cuts and hooks in the fingers and have never suffered much beyond the cut itself. The way the doctor explained it to me (I showed him the line I was using) was that the Sharkskin had actually burned the crease in my index finger and carried some bacteria with it to the inside of the wound. Anyone looking for a WFF 6 weight, I'm looking to unload it I've cleaned it since the infection. This is a unique situation and I can't imagine what this would have felt like in the salt, I'm glad it wasn't!

I don't want to deter anyone from trying sharkskin, it does cast well and mends fantastically, I was super stoked on it when I got it. I just wanted folks to know what happened to me after 3 days of fishing it. I have quit the opposite to office hands and I do get many line cuts and hooks in the fingers and have never suffered much beyond the cut itself. The way the doctor explained it to me (I showed him the line I was using) was that the Sharkskin had actually burned the crease in my index finger and carried some bacteria with it to the inside of the wound. Anyone looking for a WFF 6 weight, I'm looking to unload it I've cleaned it since the infection. This is a unique situation and I can't imagine what this would have felt like in the salt, I'm glad it wasn't!

also

I have cast both the salt and fresh versions of this line and I agree with many that it shoots and mends very well. That being said while red fishing last summer in Texas my guide told me that a whole day casting and retrieving the sharkskin line destroys your hands. Also I do not enjoy the noise.

I know a coupl of people out there that have the sharksin and they like it but when I tried their setups the noise of the line (which seems to be a common thing) to just absoultly drive me nutty. I am a guy that likes no sound period, more a personal prefeerence then anything else.

As for lines I have been trying out a couple of diffrent lines.

Rio Gold is a great single fly presentation line I found that I liked to overline it.

Guideline Bullet, Aswome line for throwing things into the wind very similar in my own opion to the 40+

SA Nymph Taper for throwing big heavy nymph rigs with a inndicator on it.

I know a coupl of people out there that have the sharksin and they like it but when I tried their setups the noise of the line (which seems to be a common thing) to just absoultly drive me nutty. I am a guy that likes no sound period, more a personal prefeerence then anything else.

As for lines I have been trying out a couple of diffrent lines.

Rio Gold is a great single fly presentation line I found that I liked to overline it.

Guideline Bullet, Aswome line for throwing things into the wind very similar in my own opion to the 40+

SA Nymph Taper for throwing big heavy nymph rigs with a inndicator on it.

I agree overlining rio gold works like a charm

Guest rickleblanc

I got a Sharkskin as a demo line last year, and took it fishing from shore. I was appalled at how much dirt the line picked up from the ground, but I thought I'd give it a second chance. I took it out on a lake, and for the first time ever, washed out the inside of my canoe. That line still found dirt to pick up! When I told the rep why I didn't like it, he told me that was not a problem because this line sheds dirt like no other as soon as it hits the water. My reply was that the line has to pull all that dirt through my guides first, which I think will scratch and nick the guides. He didn't have an answer for that. MrBotangles, I wonder if that had anything to do with the short life of the line. How're the guides on that rod?

Rick

Since it is getting to the winter months how have people found it in the cold weather. Coiling? Does it build up more ice with the texture of the line?

I used it all winter last year, and it worked great. However it really cut up my stripping fingers. The noise wasn't to bad for me, But everyone who fished with me wanted to drown me (zing zing zing). But as soon as summer hit with more bottom growth it was impossible to keep it clean and floating.

Just my 2 cents, every shop that sells it praises the $110.00 line