Fly Fusion Forums

Chironomids

bloom

Just a few chironomids I use during the year.

Simple bloodworm

Great in early spring and fall close to the bottom of muddy lakes

bloodworm.JPG

Smaller style bloodworm pattern I use in rivers

little%20red.JPG

Black chironomid

My favourtie chironomid pattern

black%20chironomid.JPG

Sno Cone

My 6 year olds favourite fly

red%20and%20black%20snow%20cone.JPG

Chromies

red and black

red%20chromie.JPG

black%20chromie.JPG

English Buzzer

Something I've been messing around with

english%20buzzer.JPG

More of an exact match

crowsnest%20chironomid.JPG

crowsnest%20chironomid%20top.JPG

Thanks...sorry for butchering the 'english style' one. Picture makes it look worse than it is. I like the profile of them though as they sink fast and are durable. Still don't understand the fascination with the cheeks though.

The cheek on our buzzers represents the wing case and haemoglobin as the fly prepares to emerge from the pupa. Many of the type used here do not look anything like the real thing but work very well. There are a multitude of patterns for these but if you have a selection in black, olive and red you can cover most eventualities. The most common used is the epoxy buzzer as shown by your tying, this sinks well and has good taking prospects.

Nice work with them all, BTW!

They all look like fine patterns that I have no doubt at all that fish would readily take. If you numbered your patterns in the order in which you have posted your pictures I particularly like no's 2, 3 + 6. We are a little zealous in the UK regarding buzzer cheeks. It must be said though at times when fish are caning sub surface buzzers over here and you are having no or only limited success with patterns without cheeks. Changing to a pattern with cheeks will sometimes appear to make all the difference in the world.

Couldn't agree more with the two last comments, you sometimes find as well it pays to have them with a variation of coloured cheeks, as sometimes the colour you have on will not take fish, eg. you might have a buzzer with lime cheeks, but the fish are taking orange, so make up a range of colours as well as a range of sizes, say #10's to #16's that should suit every eventuality.

yah, I've seen your guy's patterns with lime green cheeks and that really threw me for a loop.

I've seen orange to be the most popular colour for cheeks, but if it's suppose to imitate hemoglobin, I might change to red.

In the real chironomids I see here, I don't see a whole lot of hemoglobin in the thorax, more so in the body.

In Canada, the hemoglobin is usually represented with the red rib (see patterns 4 and 5), or with a 'red but'.

Thanks for the feedback...will have to go add some more cheeks!

colour is just representative, you'll find fish take most colours on cheeks, they seem to see the cheeks as the trigger mechanism, and at different depths colours vary so much, what is lime green at a few feet, can look blue fifteen feet down, same goes for cloudy water, it all changes the colour of the fly, so it makes sense to have a variation of colours, we found late in the season over here fish were taking buzzers with the body made from bright blue polypropylene rope fibres, a small black head, and holographic tinsel as a wing case, we had over 40 fish in three nights with it, if I can find one I'll post it for you to see.