Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Salmon Flies

Flytyer

I do tie some basic featherwings and hairwings but as far as the classics go like the Blackers and Chidders, It'll be a while. That being said, if you are looking to get into tying some of those, you may want to pick up some of the feathers right now before they are unaffordable. At 15.00$ per feather, Indian Crow is getting more and more out of reach. I did see a pelt sell for just over 5000.00.

I'm sure If I ever get serious about it, I'll be using mostly subs.

I really want to start, but don't seem to have the time, maybe next winter. I been at the vise alot this winter trying to get together a decent set of fishing flies, nymphs, wets, dries, salmon, etc. Hopefully next year I 'll just have to tie replacements instead of a whole inventory.

I have been lucky to run into a couple of guys that can tie a "pretty decent fly" who have been quite helpful over the last 6 months or so.

I know a few here tie salmon flies. I was wondering more exactly how many do tie classic and or fancy salmon flies or would like to at some time. I've been doing it off and on for over the last 5 to 10 yrs

I also have been tying them for many years. As you say off and on. The price of materials now a days slows me down. its the kind of tying I tend to do in stages. I have a Renzetti vice set up just for Atlantic's so I can walk away. They do take a fairly extreme amount of time to tie well. They tend to disappear off my vice after my son's and other relatives visit for some odd reason.

Speys and Dees are also in my interest group and fit into this category as well. For me the interest really came back big last year while out in NFLD and I did some tying tying then that was not the greatest by any stretch but they were tried by friends and did account for a few fish.

Speys and Dees are also in my interest group and fit into this category as well. For me the interest really came back big last year while out in NFLD and I did some tying tying then that was not the greatest by any stretch but they were tried by friends and did account for a few fish.

If you make it out to the cabin the year, check out the Blue Charm fly shop........................the owner can tie a mean salmon fly.

If you make it out to the cabin the year, check out the Blue Charm fly shop........................the owner can tie a mean salmon fly.

I'll be out there for sure...probably from sometime in May till Sept with the atrip home occasionally....I'll check that out for sure. There also a fellow in Twillingate that is very good at it as well, met him last summer and hope to hook up with him again this year and learn some more.

I have been playing around with it a bit myself but I hate being a stickler to genre's or styles so I kinda like a bit of a freestyle edge to my flies..... plus saying that means I don't have to follow the rules. :rolleyes: Speys and dees are a focus right now but my favorite part of salmon flies is the floss work which is not usually part of spey/dee flies...... wings are all well and good but bloody expensive imho..... when I get a chance I like to start one and work on it bit by bit...... Just wish i had a bigger selection of materials as I got several floss bodies packed away that need completion but I have no good winging materials or colors to finish em with. Finished a pretty funky one a couple weeks back before I packed up my tying station and gave it to Glenbow...... shoulda snapped a pic now that I think about it.

LoneFisher what do you call the one in your avatar? could you please post a larger image so I can see it better. Looks pretty good. True wings get to be pricey especially for married wings. The bronze mallard that Inconnu had for sale for the Streamwatch program was of better quality than I thought it would be....I have some set aside for a couple of strip wing speys I'm going to do latter.

P1010065.jpg

edit in- Flytyer it has no name...... I suppose I could make up a name for it but..... I haven't so far.... as I mentioned it kinda breaks rules as its a floss body and is not quite a dee or spey fly..... really like this fly though. Have to say bronze mallard is kinda pain to work with but I like the end result

edit again- also if I remember correctly it has 7 ribs if you include the purple floss and 8 if you include the spey hackle.

P1010065.jpg

edit in- Flytyer it has no name...... I suppose I could make up a name for it but..... I haven't so far.... asi I mentioned it kinda breaks rules as its a floss body and is not quite a dee or spey fly..... really like this fly though. Have to say bronze mallard is kinda pain to work with but I like the end result

edit again- also if I remember correctly it has 7 ribs if you include the purple floss and 8 if you include the spey hackle.

True bronze mallard can be a pain but if you got better stuff it makes a huge difference; I can't remember how much of it I have pitched orused as throats in flies.....another use for some lesser stuff was explain by a friend and that is to make rolled wings with it for wet flies.

Fly looks great I'm sure it would be good for salmon.

• 2 weeks later...

I tie just a few Classics a year usually as presents for birthdays or Christmas . Just recently statred in Spey tying and am still trying to use Bronze Mallard properly for winging . I find almost all my time at the vise is hairwing salmon and bugs along with trout flies of course . One of these days I have to try tube flies ; more things to spend even more $ on .....Frank

I cringe with envy when I see these masterpieces presented openly...my creative juices flow way to easily for me to sit and create such fine flies...but I must say that from Spey and Dees flies the bridge to these Dressed flies is much shorter. Having known Warren Duncan for a short time I was really able to marvel at the skills needed to understand the techniques used.

Fishing with these flies is to me like fishing with an old Hardy Salmon and a Split Cane Two Hander...sheer bliss!