Fly Fusion Forums

Spring Is Here!!!!

Harry ... "I've never thought of you of being so morbid" ... Nah, just reality. It IS a tad warped tho. :) adc will attested to my general weirdness.

I walk a few km almost every day and usually carry my camera. Get a few good shots now and then. Could not resist the first dead gopher of "spring." Dead gophers are sort of the western equivalent of "groundhog day" ... even thinking of spring in Feb could be bad karma...can't wait for the big snows of March and may. Not.

Welcome home Lynn.

From another walk this week ... ;)

owl3670-500.jpg

Harry...DSLRs simply rock! Said this before here. Owned cameras for 48 years and got my first SLR 40 years ago. First DSLR 2½ years ago and new DSLR last October. DSLRs have provided the MOST fun I've ever had with cameras. I take a LOT of pictures and I am taking the best pictures of my life right now. Partly because I shoot a lot, but also because of the feedback.

Rusty, the lens is a 100-300 APO. I have a great Manfrottto tripod, but it weights (what??) ten pounds. I made a monopod a few years ago and it is perfect for walking. Has a "quick connect" and I can attach the camera in 3 seconds. I am using the Sony A700 12 MP DSLR now. They purchased Minolta's factories and DSLR technology so my good lenses were still usable. Sony is making most/some Nikon sensors now. Sony will release a full-frame, 24 MP body this fall. Will be tempting, but beyond my needs (I will get one one day I guess) and will probably cost $6K+ just for the body. Too much camera and too much money ... for now.

Here's what I've learned since getting a 12MP DSLR last fall. I have decent glass: One APO, one LD, and one high-end macro--and a mirror lens to die for. BUT ... I can see that even my good glass is limiting the quality of images at 12 MP. (I can make 18 by 24-inch prints if need be.) So I plan to get one or two ED lenses this year. I'd like a G series f2.8, ED, 300-mm, but it is $7,000 -- just for one lens, so will probably opt for a new 70-300 G series ED zoom. It is a tad slower, but I shoot mostly outdoors and almost exclusively in sunshine anyway. I also need a good wide angle (20-mm or less) prime for a project I've in mind.

Sorry for the long reply. I get pumped about the technology. We are so lucky.

So I take it so far you've managed to avoid the horses? They tend to raise more hell on equipment.

So far yes, barely, ...but yes. Had a few near misses with those fellows at night. Black horse in a snowstorm = a "WTF is that AaaAAAAAAaaaHHHHH holy crap how'd I miss it?"