Fly Fusion Forums

The Blob

Fishietales

See the Blob in a number of Brit. FF mags. as a go to flies. Are there just used on fresh stockies or will they work on real fish? They look a whole lot like fish pellets.

The Blob as mentioned in FF mags is nothing like Fishietales Blob.

They are primarily a "fly" for catching "stockies"

blob14wu8.jpg

strictly speaking Scotfly is right, this is not a traditional blob, which has a wide gape hook and dense fibred fritz as the body, sometimes they have tails of marabou sometimes not, they were originally designed to be fished on a fast sinking line, and were built with no weight in them, the technique was to let them sink to the bottom, give a jerk on the line the blob would ten sink and rise as it floated above the line, the leaders were kept short so the blob would float around 2 to 3 feet from the bottom, now they weight them and fish them below a sight indicator as well, the one I put together is more like an egg fly but can be classed as a blob as well, as it floats, hope this helps clear the water somewhat :)

strictly speaking Scotfly is right, this is not a traditional blob, which has a wide gape hook and dense fibred fritz as the body, sometimes they have tails of marabou sometimes not, they were originally designed to be fished on a fast sinking line, and were built with no weight in them, the technique was to let them sink to the bottom, give a jerk on the line the blob would ten sink and rise as it floated above the line, the leaders were kept short so the blob would float around 2 to 3 feet from the bottom, now they weight them and fish them below a sight indicator as well, the one I put together is more like an egg fly but can be classed as a blob as well, as it floats, hope this helps clear the water somewhat :)

I respectfully suggest that you are getting a blob and a booby nymph mixed up. Booby nymphs incorporate high floating materials such as closed cell foam which give them bouyancy and when attached to a sinking line tend to drag up off the bottom. Blobs in my limited experience have no such floating materials being constructed only of marabou and fritz which will of course float initially but as they take in water they will sink deeper than Neptunes toe corns. As a 'traditionalist' you can of course be forgiven for mixing the 2 up. :rolleyes:

I seem to remember somewhere reading that the originals were made up using spun deer hair to make them float, maybe wrong though, but the ones I've used don't seem to sink either, must have a different fritz or something, but boobies are mostly banned up here in Northumberland doesn't matter what line you use, you can only use them on the reservoirs, where anything goes, :D and as Tupps so rightly said, I'm a traditionalist, " how do you know that my man " and would have nothing to do with such evil little blighters ;););):D

I seem to remember somewhere reading that the originals were made up using spun deer hair to make them float,

You're not far off the mark there Fishietails.

At the height of their popularity/infamy a deer hair version of the "booby" was introduced. I think it was meant to appeal to the more "traditional" minded angler.

It was however quite different both in appearance and in its intended purpose from the present day "Blob"

British? thud.gifdonno.gif

I'm Scottish. pP.gif

humm, is that where is sent my flies???

i was attempting to encompass everyone meaning all of the isles. my bad

besides, i'm messed up, one grandfather was Scottish, the other Irish, one grandmother english and the other french

no wonder i constantly argue with myself.

humm, is that where is sent my flies???

No, your flies are coming to me in Engla Eng E the bit below Scotland :lol:

Where I live is where the money is, but not where my heart is!

besides, i'm messed up, one grandfather was Scottish, the other Irish, one grandmother english and the other french

Look on the bright side.. You're not all bad :P

How aboot the Canadian national anthem in gaelic

O Chanada, dùthaich nan gaisgeach còir,
Crùn air do cheann de dhuilleag dhearg is òir. Bho chuan gu cuan le òran binn,

Do chliù nì sinn a luaidh,

Fo dhìon do sgéith tha saorsa ghrinn

Nach spìon an namhaid uainn.

O Chanada, dùrachd ar cridh',

Sonas le sìth is maitheas Dhè d'ar tìr.

Sonas le sìth is maitheas Dhè d'ar tìr

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

John

we only use the gaelic to confuse the sasanacs,

Suas Leis a' Ghàidhlig! Up with Gaelic!

"Mar sin leibh an dràsda." roughly translated means "ta ta for now"

"Slàinte mhòr agad!" again roughly means "Good health to you" and is pronounced (SLAHN-tchuh VORR AH-kut!) or (slanj-a-var) in english

John ( ee'yan )

There are only two types of people in this world, those who are Scottish and those who wish they were Scottish!

shouldn't that read Those who are Celt's, and those who wish they were celt's ;););) I know cuileag, means fly, haven't figured the the beggining out yet, must be irish gaelic :D