Fly Fusion Forums

Stilwater Nymph

Fisherwoman

I would agree with Flytyer. You might wan to consider a few in black too. I really believe that in many cases colour is not a deciding factor for trout, I think it can often be a 'light vs. dark' thing for resembling what is on the menu. However, that being said I can't help but carry all the colours with me anyhow!

I hope this might help, when in the past I've been asked for a pattern for a stillwater nymph I always give them this, it's the traditional pheasant tail nymph, but I've change the build slightly to make it easier for the novice to tie,

firstly run a bed of thread down the hook to opposite the barb

pheas1.jpg

next tie in a bunch of pheasant tail fibres, but with the tips over the eye like so

pheas2.jpg

next tie in a length of copper wire

pheas3.jpg

next wind the phaesant tail butts up to a point 1/3 the hook length from the eye, like so, and tie in a strand of peacock herl

pheas4.jpg

next, form a thorax with the peacock herl

pheas5.jpg

next, fold back the pheasant tail tips and form a whip finish

pheas6.jpg

Finally, tie the pheasant tail in at the hook bend using the copper wire, and wind the cooper wire forming a rib up to the thorax and form a two turn whip finish with the wire at the base of the thorax ,like so.

pheas7.jpg

The finished product is a small brown nymph that will take fish on any stillwater at any time of the year, Hope this helps

It represents many of the baetis family as well as small fry if tied in larger sizes with a bit of pearly tinsel wraped around the thorax, plus you can trim the pheasant tail butts of and use a dubbed body of a different colour, it makes a two tone nymph, even a CDC body, you can adjust the length of the tail easily to make long or short, the possibilities are endless, its just a simple way of dressing nymphs, that works well.

• 1 month later...
Hi, Stillwater Nymphs do they need to be one color? Such as that moss green?

Thank-you.

Phil Rowley in his book Fly Patterns for Stillwaters has a fly called the Stillwater Nymph tied mainly of marabou. I have tied it in a number of colours and have even mixed colours on the same fly.

Stillwater nymphs can be anything from brown to yellow to black to red. Olive, tan and brown are your most common. I like this as a general searcher pattern when fish won't take my usual assortment of leeches, scuds, chironomids and dragons. It's simply a marabou feather tied in as a tail and wrapped forward on a size 10 hook. Looks like any type of bug. Mayfly, damsel, leech, whatever. It works

Random-Flies-VL.jpg