Fly Fusion Forums

The Trouble-free Turck Tarantula Tutorial

bulltrout

Turck Tarantula (Originated by Guy Turck as tied by Andrew Burla)

Excerpt taken from Fly Fishing International's Fly Of The Month Fly Files, June 1998:

"The Turck Tarantula is a productive fly for Southern Alberta's trout streams. At first glance, it appears to be more of an attractor pattern than anything else, however, depending on the size and color, it can be used to imitate a variety of trout foods including: grasshoppers, stoneflies and caddisflies. It incorporates features that are found on several other effective trout flies. These include the Madame X-style rubber legs, deer hair Muddler Minnow-style head and the wing style used on the popular Trude patterns. The white calftail wing makes it easy to see on the waters surface and the deer hair head provides good flotation. It is particularily effective on streams that contain cutthroat trout such as the Oldman, Castle and their tributaries, as well as the Elk and other rivers in Southeastern British Columbia.

Fishing Technique - This fly is usually fished on the surface using a dead drift. It can also be twitched during the drift to imitate a struggling insect. Another effective method is to "drown" the fly at the end of the drift and fish it submerged, stripping it back against the current similar to a streamer."

Materials

Hook: TMC 200R #4-12

Thread: Dark Brown A+ Mono-Thread

Tail: Amherst or Golden Pheasant Tippet

Body: Hare's Ear Plus Dubbin

Underwing: Krystal Flash

Overwing: Calf Tail

Collar: Deer Hair

Legs: Black Rubber

Head: Deer Hair

Tying Steps

1. Attach tying thread.

IMGP1883.jpg

2. Tie in pheasant tippet 1/3 of the shank length long.

IMGP1884.jpg

3. Dub a smooth tapered body to the 1/3 point from the eye.

IMGP1885.jpg

4. Loop 3 strands of Krystal Flash around the thread and tie in directly in front of the dubbing. Clip the flash to the 1/2 tail length.

IMGP1886.jpg

IMGP1887.jpg

IMGP1888.jpg

5. Clip, clean and stack a small amount of calf tail and tie in slightly shorter than equal to the tail.

IMGP1889.jpg

6. Trim calf tail or calf tail butts on an angle to help form a taper. Firmly secure the butt ends with tying thread.

IMGP1890.jpg

IMGP1891.jpg

7. Clip, clean and stack a small amount (roughly equal to the calf tail) and tie in so the tips are equal to the hook bend. Flare the deer hair 180 degrees around the hook to create an even collar.

IMGP1892.jpg

8. Trim the butts of the deer hair as you would a Deer Hair or Elk Hair Caddis.

IMGP1893.jpg

IMGP1894.jpg

9. Tie in a 3 inch piece of rubber leg on each side of the hook. Move tying thread to just in front of rubber leg tie in.

IMGP1895.jpg

10. Clip a small amount of deer hair and clip off the tips as well (the tips don't spin or pack properly). Holding the deer hair with three fingers, push the eye of the hook into the middle of the bundle of hair and slide the hair to just shorter than the collar.

IMGP1896.jpg

IMGP1897.jpg

11. Carefully grab the deer hair with your opposite hand and make two loose turns of thread around the bundle.

IMGP1898.jpg

IMGP1899.jpg

12. Flare the deer hair by pulling down and to the rear of the fly. Make a 2-3 tight wraps through the spun deer hair. Pack the hair tight against the collar and move the thread to directly in front of the spun hair.

IMGP1900.jpg

IMGP1901.jpg

13. Repeat steps 10 and 11 for larger flies.

IMGP1904.jpg

IMGP1905.jpg

IMGP1906.jpg

IMGP1907.jpg

IMGP1909.jpg

14. Pull the spun hair back and whip finish behind the eye. Don't cement the thread until after you shape the head.

IMGP1911.jpg

15. Basically, you want the head to have the shape of a half circle that is tapered (small at the eye to large at the collar). To shape the head, hold the rubber legs tight to the dubbed body and begin by trimming the bottom of the head flat.

IMGP1913.jpg

16. Turn the fly over and trim the top at an angle to match the collar.

IMGP1915.jpg

17. Taking care NOT to cut the rubber legs, trim the sides on an angle tight from the eye outwards. Trim the square edges so the top of the head is rounded.

IMGP1916.jpg

18. Carefully tidy up the collar by trimming in a straight line 360 degrees all the way around the hook.

IMGP1919.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
I agree. Even though I could tie one, Its one of those flies I prefer to pay someone else to tie.

Good job, DBT. I'll give you $2. ;)

exactly my thoughts

I agree. Even though I could tie one, Its one of those flies I prefer to pay someone else to tie.

Good job, DBT. I'll give you $2. ;)

thanks for the compliment...i was in that same boat until i realized that i paid almost $60 in Tarantulas last year alone :blink: (as they are one of my goto flies)...