Fly Fusion Forums

Why Rhea Works

Guest bigbadbrent

Just started using rhea herl, got it by chance, there's a guy in a village near me breeds them, and I was given a few feathers from the moult, absolutely brilliant, very strong, not as heavy as ostrich, and easily dyed, I've even started using it for pheasant tail replacement, and it works fine :D

When you use it, you strip it away from the stem and wrap it like hackle. Some tyers split the stem in half and sand down the stem to help get a stronger base. You can also put it into a dubbing loop to make hackle from loose strands. at 15 bucks a feather, you'll want to make sure you use every last bit.

Guest bigbadbrent

If you can find really, really REALLY good ostrich, thats super thin, it's almost Rhea....that's the pink and purple stuff i've been using in my truders

• 2 weeks later...
If you can find really, really REALLY good ostrich, thats super thin, it's almost Rhea....that's the pink and purple stuff i've been using in my truders

The Stillwater Solutions ostrich in white works awesome. Dye it, or colour it with a Sharpee. Way cheaper than rhea.

bigbadbrent,

You want the most seductive hackle - try hereon. Whack a 1/2 dozen or so and do our fishery a good turn. Do it quietly though. The fish cops just maybe watching.

Heron apparently eat well. Just slather them with cheap red wine and boil till the meat falls off the bones.

Now to find a use for pelican/loon/ feathers.

enjoy,

Don

bigbadbrent,

You want the most seductive hackle - try hereon. Whack a 1/2 dozen or so and do our fishery a good turn. Do it quietly though. The fish cops just maybe watching.

Heron apparently eat well. Just slather them with cheap red wine and boil till the meat falls off the bones.

Now to find a use for pelican/loon/ feathers.

enjoy,

Don

Well Don Grey Bird is very nice to work with and dresses up Spey Flies like no other..difficult to get your hands on though. There are some imports coming in nowadyas. Rhea is nice to work with and Todd has mastered it's use. But there are many other materials available that do the same thing and in some cases better.If you get a chance tie a few intruders with glow in the dark Flashabou there are 4 0r 5 colours. Super natural looking under water and tough as nails...glows perhaps underwater...inexpensive and effective. Ostrich and Peacock work well but can wear poorly.

C

Guest bigbadbrent

What's the quality of the Rhea, is it only 3" long (the strands)? And how thin is it?

The longer and thinner it is, the better it is to use, so you can make some massive intruders with them that still have a ton of movement.

Hell, even tying with white rhea would make some solid bow river flies