Fly Fusion Forums

Dubbing Blocks - Turbo Or Others

Weedy1

Saw Phil Rowley using one at the expo for his blood leach pattern. One day I gotta get me one (or a Nor Vice).

At 2pm Saturday? If so I guess we should have said hi.

Phil's presentation is the reason I finally purchased one. They are pricey but I think once I learn how to use it and make use of the brushes properly the expense will be well worth it.

Look up Jan Siman on You tube.

He has some great tutorials on using the tool and a few patterns to go along with it. I like the Turbo Dubbing Block and I'm thinking about picking one up soon. There was an article in Fly Tyer a couple issues back that showed how to costruct your own, but for me, it's likely much cheaper just to buy it.

There was an article in Fly Tyer two issues back (I think), that gave instructions on how to build one yourself. Might be able to find the info online as well. A lot cheaper if you have the skills and tools.

The weight with the hook (spinner)at the end of the rig would not be found easy. Believe me, I tried. I'm sure they were machined for the rig exclusively. If a guy could buy just the spinner the rig is simple to make. Look at the picture and build it, that's all the instructions really needed. Time is money also, so I said the hell with it and bought one. So far I would say it's probably the best tool I have purchased.

Welcome to the board Chew, you'll have to explain that name sometime. :lol:

The weight with the hook (spinner)at the end of the rig would not be found easy. Believe me, I tried. I'm sure they were machined for the rig exclusively. If a guy could buy just the spinner the rig is simple to make. Look at the picture and build it, that's all the instructions really needed. Time is money also, so I said the hell with it and bought one. So far I would say it's probably the best tool I have purchased.

Welcome to the board Chew, you'll have to explain that name sometime. :lol:

The one in the article was fashioned from the end of an X-Acto knife. Pretty cool idea the guy came up with.

Thanks for the welcome, Weedy1. Not much to the name; just something I picked up in high school.

And I'm with you on the time is money thing; I'm going to just go buy one, one of these days. Where'd you pick your's up?

Guys,

Guess my bent nail, 3/8" variable speed drill, a board c/w 2 nails and some wire didn't work for the past 20 years. Now I gotta go and buy a turbo twister. Naw - I'll save my bucks for a sharkskin.

catch ya'

Don

Do you keep a belt sander handy to sharpen your hooks Don? ;)

I know where you're coming from and considered the drill method along with a few others but it was just too damn cold outside to pull the router out and build the jig.