Fly Fusion Forums

First Annual Bow River Spey Week-end

ogilvie

Sometimes,it is best to have more fun than work...and you guys and gals in the Alberta flat lands are just going to have to show me how to hook into One of those Large Bow River Browns. On the week-end of April 5th and 6th I'm suggesting that the Bow River hosts the "First Bow River Spey Week-end and Fish-out!" My plans are to be in Ontario the following week-end for something similar and would love to be on the Bow before I head EAST!!! On the Saturday there would be casting demos and instruction , question and answer, BBQ , Socialize and so on...on the Sunday there would be a drift for those interested, we will have 3 or 4 Watermaster Kick Boats available,rods ,lines , and a few other toys . A rod draw and raffle.

These gatherings are free to all...

Can someone pick up the torch and invite me along!!!???

I checked the water levels for that time of year and they seem to be good...as long as it's not 30 below and blizzard conditions!

The One area that we have failed to really expose is the Single Handed Spey casts. A broom can Spey cast...so,Single Handers are beautiful tools to Spey Cast with. I will specifically have 4 or 5 rods(single) set-up to play with during the week-end . With the right line match ,Single Handers can bomb out 100' casts with little effort,especially with the small flies used on the Alberta Rivers(mostly).

If all goes well and products arrive in time ,we will have some great new lines to play with and a few give-aways.

I'm excited about the possibilitles for this to become an annual event,it has been a long time coming and could set a standard..

C

At the show Francois from the Whistler Fly Shop helped me correct a Spey casting fault but only had a single hander rigged. Granted it had a fighting butt that we used as a lower grip, but it would still be easy to do without. The biggest difference I found was the timing since the rod isn't as long and I didn't have as much line out. But if you go by feel of the line loading the rod and watching your anchor then you're fine.

Maybe we can have Rick do it again,.....

The people in Southern Ontario put together a great CD of the Spey Gathering on the Grand River in November of 2007. Many people went out of their way to get this thing done and I have to say it was a well feed and happy bunch. There were 47 participants that left with something they didn't arrive with...new friends,a bit of a belly and a broader understanding of Fly Fishers.

If Gordon can't make it we should see if we can't have his stool on hand or at least an enlarged poster of it,to respect his being away!!

C

Hello MR C,

Can't make the Spey Gathering, so look after my bar stool..........no i mean look after Jock's bar stool, i have lots to do and the Spey just opened with fresh fish being caught in stunning weather, it really is beautiful.

I have some casting schools to do in BC (not spey) so i will be kicking around Calgary and BC in the Kilt for a while, look out Calgary.

Gordon.

The bad weather in Calgary over the past few weeks has slowed things down a bit but there is a lot of interest coming out of the wood work. we would have loved to have had you there to try"jocks stool" however,we may do a distance casting competition and offer that as a prize ...what do you think? There will be lots of Ladies there so perhaps we may have to adjust the thing!!!??? Any ideas!?

C

• 2 weeks later...