Fly Fusion Forums

First Annual Bow River Spey Week-end

ogilvie

Maybe we could get Carlin out to see him swing a few lines???

I hear that there are lots of people on the river these past few days...hope they leave a few fish . On the opther side of that coin the gathering is a great time to see and understand the many intricacies of a Spey Cast, in fact the many Spey Casts. We may have a series of brand new Spey Lines on hand to play with and see how they perform.

Looking forward to that week-end

C

• 3 weeks later...

With a bit more than 3 weeks to go..how's the snow situation and any idea of location?

I believe Val is going to be working with the Ladies on both Friday evening and Saturday morning...I'm looking to do a Tube Fly tying demo on Friday night and Spey casting with single.switch and Two Handers on the Saturday..

No snow right now, usually what we hear on TV during March and April is "a slight chance of flurries", and wake up to 6 inches on the ground, but the decent weather's been holding up ok so there's not too much ice left D/S of the treatment plant. As for location, there's a couple spots with foot bridges so that you can work both sides of the water easily. Can't help you out on a spot for fly tying, though.

I say do it where we had the bow river clean up. Tons of people can fit on the shore at hulls wood and there is lots of space to spread out. Picnic tables to do your fly tying as well. Looking forward to it.

If you want to do it so that you can do both river left and river right, then Burnsmead is probably the place to go since it has a footbridge like cheeler mentioned and pretty straight banks so everyone can see. On the weekend the current there wasn't too fast but still enough to wash your line downstream. Mind you, this could easily change between now and April. Pretty short walk from the parking lot to streamside, though anywhere in Fish Creek you might end up having to fight for space on the weekend if you don't get there early enough especially if the weather is nice.

Guest bigbadbrent

Southland is probably a better choice, its a little easier to get to, and the water is perfect for practicing the spey, with the walking bridge as well.

Southland is probably a better choice, its a little easier to get to, and the water is perfect for practicing the spey, with the walking bridge as well.

Parking is a gong show, especially on the weekends. I think Hullswood, with picnic tables, washrooms ect right there is a great spot. Whats at burnsmead for facilities?

Colin

Guest bigbadbrent
Parking is a gong show, especially on the weekends. I think Hullswood, with picnic tables, washrooms ect right there is a great spot. Whats at burnsmead for facilities?

Colin

Less people fish Southland then hullswood, there would be some very unhappy anglers if they showed up prior to the 'club'

I'll call around to several of the shops in the area and see if they can house a tying evening...or even the hook n hackle club. As far as the need to actually fish is concerned that is secondary to the casting demonstrations and session.

The idea of good parking and access is "on"...

C

Less people fish Southland then hullswood, there would be some very unhappy anglers if they showed up prior to the 'club'

Yes you are correct less people fish it but far more people use it (dog walkers)

There is the stretch downstream from the hole at Hullswood that would be perfect for casting instruction, good water movement, plenty of shoreline and I don't think I've ever seen a single angler fishing it.

Colin

Yes you are correct less people fish it but far more people use it (dog walkers)

There is the stretch downstream from the hole at Hullswood that would be perfect for casting instruction, good water movement, plenty of shoreline and I don't think I've ever seen a single angler fishing it.

Colin

Can we get a concensus on this and put it to bed...

C

• 3 weeks later...

Tying Eumer Tube Flies on Friday Evening at Troutfitters from 6-8(maybe longer)......ya gotta see these things work...if you want to see a preview of the possibilities go to "hycreek.com"..this site shows many of the techniques..

currently we are in Revelstoke for the night...anxious to begin the week-end and have some fun...have brought along some very interesting Two Handers and new lines to try...some kickboats and a few toys...please bring your cameras along...should be a blast. Are the Trout biting?

C

Guest bigbadbrent

that they are!

see you tomorrow night courtney, i'll be sure to take my 'taxes' out of the flies you tie :P

have a safe drive

Thanks for that ...Val wouldn't let me drive all the way...and she is right...but we did stop at every fly shop along the way and of course bought things we didn't have at our shop or needed(saved some for tomorrow)...

Although I didn't attend the gathering I was fishing the Bow on Sunday and happened across Colin, Courtney and his wife. Was nice to meet you all and hope you had better luck than I did and I hope that jetboat didn't come back! Courtney, just watching you cast for a few minutes showed me what I was doing wrong (10 and 2) and was able to somewhat correct it further upstream. I will look like a sloppy amateur for some years to come but hopefully I'll get better each time. Thanks for the chat gents, was good to put some faces to names!

James

Although I didn't attend the gathering I was fishing the Bow on Sunday and happened across Colin, Courtney and his wife. Was nice to meet you all and hope you had better luck than I did and I hope that jetboat didn't come back! Courtney, just watching you cast for a few minutes showed me what I was doing wrong (10 and 2) and was able to somewhat correct it further upstream. I will look like a sloppy amateur for some years to come but hopefully I'll get better each time. Thanks for the chat gents, was good to put some faces to names!

James

James, nice to meet you too, nothing for us, my first float 22X - Policemans in over 20 years so it was nice just to check out new water and make plans for the summer. No more jets after the one but that was more than enough, don't even think he saw me when he came roaring down. If you want to get out and work on your casts drop me a PM, I'm no where even close to Courtney when it comes to casting but I can show you some pointers and common mistakes.

Colin

James, nice to meet you too, nothing for us, my first float 22X - Policemans in over 20 years so it was nice just to check out new water and make plans for the summer. No more jets after the one but that was more than enough, don't even think he saw me when he came roaring down. If you want to get out and work on your casts drop me a PM, I'm no where even close to Courtney when it comes to casting but I can show you some pointers and common mistakes.

Colin

Sure, I'll send you a message. I may be in Calgary again this weekend but I'll let you know.

James

Val and I just arrived home safely...Many Thanks to all YOU fellow fly flingers in ALberta...it was fun to be around so many good people . Don't underestimate your abilities...the only complicated component of the "Spey " cast is our understanding of what we are doing and why we are doing it!

Although we didn't get into any fish we did learn a lot and are planning to invade the Bow again several times this year...

Val's beckoning...humphhhhh