Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout North Of Calgary?

I'd like to do an early season (mid to late April) bull trout trip, and instead of going south to the Oldman below 22 I want to check out a few streams north of Calgary. The Clearwater, Red Deer, North Saskatchewan, and Tay rivers are all streams that I'd be interested in trying. If any of you central Alberta guys have targeted bulls on these rivers, would you say that it is even worth my time? I'm not looking for lunkers, I just want to get a pre-runoff bully fix. Thanks

I'd like to do an early season (mid to late April) bull trout trip, and instead of going south to the Oldman below 22 I want to check out a few streams north of Calgary. The Clearwater, Red Deer, North Saskatchewan, and Tay rivers are all streams that I'd be interested in trying. If any of you central Alberta guys have targeted bulls on these rivers, would you say that it is even worth my time? I'm not looking for lunkers, I just want to get a pre-runoff bully fix. Thanks

The Tay was far too dirty in April last year when I tried it. But the "Clear"water is your best bet for bulls in April. The big pools are separeted by a large distance, so be prepared to do some hiking. If in a boat, be very careful as the Clearwater is a dangerous river.

Thanks all

I figure some of these rivers wouldn't be too much more of a drive than Lower K or the lower Oldman (probably the best southern options at that time of year), and they probably don't receive as much pressure as those spots.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

About the only stream, with decent bulls, that'll be open in April will be the Clearwater. That's usually blown out until mid to late April at the earliest. Not much off trunk road opens up until June and they're blown out and not fishing well until the end of June.

Tried to fish Prairie Creek one week after opening and it was a no-go. Chocolate milk and a good two feet higher than usual. The Clearwater was worse.

James

Speaking of big bulls, the Smokey River drainage has got them plus no Calgary crowds either! And yes, that's north of Calgary. :lol:

But there not open in the spring though.

i'll keep on saying it...there's no bulls north of calgary!!!! :rolleyes: all the bulls live in BC :lol: