Fly Fusion Forums

My New Baby...and How Much Backing??

rusty

I was wondering something similar today (re: how much backing). I tend to load up my reels with a ridiculous amount of backing without putting much or any thought into it. If you break it down though, 150 yards or ever 200 yards is likely, waaaaaay too much. If you think about it, 200 yards is 600 feet, if you add a typical line length in there your at 700 feet. I am admittedly not as experienced as allot of people here and I have not steelheaded (much to my regret) but I have fished the salt and I have never had anything run me out 700 feet. Or anything close to it. In fact, I have never had much luck landing fish who ran out past 100-120 feet unless I was able to get moving (like in a boat) to maintain really good tension. With that in mind I may strip down my reels so I can maybe fit some spey lines on my larger single handed reels.

-al

We will arrange a second Loop Spey school on the same weekend if there is continued interest, as we seem to have already filled the first school. We'll get the available dates worked out and post them so we can decide which weekend/day is best for you guys.

thanks guys,

the classes will be full 8 hour days and be limited to a max of 8 as mentioned with both Frank and myself instucting. If there is sufficient interest we would be happy to do 2 days. We will bring a bunch of demo rods and lines for everyone to try as well.

I am just putting my calendar together for May but how about the 17th and 18th? I am pretty open at this moment so if earlier or later is better we can make it work.

looking forward to getting back out there,

Brian

Both, May 17 and 18th, work for me, so the other guys can choose first, which day works best for them.

Also wanted to mention that this Spey School is ideal for fisherman who are using two handed Switch rods as well as Spey rods. If you would like to give Spey casting a try and are interested in attending the school, but don't have a two handed rod yet, we can help you with that as well.

thanks guys,

the classes will be full 8 hour days and be limited to a max of 8 as mentioned with both Frank and myself instucting. If there is sufficient interest we would be happy to do 2 days. We will bring a bunch of demo rods and lines for everyone to try as well.

I am just putting my calendar together for May but how about the 17th and 18th? I am pretty open at this moment so if earlier or later is better we can make it work.

Brian

Isn't that May long weekend? Hopefully it doesn't snow :P

thanks guys,

Brian

I have a friend who isn't on this board but is interested in the clinic as well.

I was wondering something similar today (re: how much backing). I tend to load up my reels with a ridiculous amount of backing without putting much or any thought into it. If you break it down though, 150 yards or ever 200 yards is likely, waaaaaay too much. If you think about it, 200 yards is 600 feet, if you add a typical line length in there your at 700 feet. I am admittedly not as experienced as allot of people here and I have not steelheaded (much to my regret) but I have fished the salt and I have never had anything run me out 700 feet. Or anything close to it. In fact, I have never had much luck landing fish who ran out past 100-120 feet unless I was able to get moving (like in a boat) to maintain really good tension. With that in mind I may strip down my reels so I can maybe fit some spey lines on my larger single handed reels.

-al

So I pulled out my Orvis Madison reel that I bought way back in 1991 at Country Pleasures. Funniest thing I never realized about it until today is that there isn't even a foot of backing on it. Just the fly line. I think you may be onto something with the whole excessive backing thing...