Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Worth The Buy

Sharkskin Fly Line  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth the price tag?

• Yes
    • No

where's the who cares button??????? :)

I'm with Taco.........In golf the saying goes "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian"............Or "you can't buy a swing".........The guys who fished silk lines with horsehair leaders are rolling over in their graves......... :(

OK Grampa......I am curious about the negative reception to this product...It seems to be a true advancement in technology....I am positive that there are places in the world where people still strike flints to make fire, but I prefer a FLAMETHROWER....Get with the times ..or not...

There's been no real change in flyline technology in the last 15 years. So everyone is stuck in their ways, and they know what they like. I heard Orvis is coming out with a similar line (could be pure heresay), and I'm willing to bet than inside two years, we'll all be swinging "Sharkskin" for prices less than $75

Not to worried about it, the difference will not be huge for me till I clean up my cast any how. Maybe in the future but for now I'll stick with the mid range lines. you don't learn to drive in an Enzo if you know what I mean

Teck

i finally gotta toss it today on a sage z-axis 5wt and all i can say is the slight difference in shootability is marginal... BUT the noise in the guides... ANNOYING...didnt like it atol...sounded like she is sawing the guides...i know i know it dosnt or is not suppose too :rolleyes: less surface area les friction blah blah blah...but the noise......

I bought some for my 5 wt rod but haven't had a chance to cast it yet.

All it comes down to is if you're happy with what you're currently using and don't think a different line will change anything for you, then stick with it. If you like to experiment with different setups, give it a try. I doubt it would be the first time someone blew $100 on some fly fishing gear on the off chance it might improve their ability to catch fish.

for 90% of my fishing a 40' cast is huge, matter of fact the most important cast for my favorite streams is the bow and arrow..6-10 ft casts at best and with old technology too, 6-71/2 ft fiberglass rods. I just don't feel the need right now to spend a hundred bucks on the latest and greatest when I can pitch the whole line almost as well with a $40 Rocket Taper and not feel guilty when I throw it away because I didn't take care of it.

Not to worried about it, the difference will not be huge for me till I clean up my cast any how. Maybe in the future but for now I'll stick with the mid range lines. you don't learn to drive in an Enzo if you know what I mean

Teck

Correct me if I am wrong, but inorder to own a Enzo, Ferrire? or is it Lambo, not to sure, invites you to own one.

Guest bigbadbrent

The shootability has increased, the taper is the best on the market and i think its the best line for a multitasking (all types of fishing)....

To each their own, i'll be glad to give my 100 bucks to SA, especially if their claim about durability is correct...

i finally gotta toss it today on a sage z-axis 5wt and all i can say is the slight difference in shootability is marginal... BUT the noise in the guides... ANNOYING...didnt like it atol...sounded like she is sawing the guides...i know i know it dosnt or is not suppose too :rolleyes: less surface area les friction blah blah blah...but the noise......

What did you think of that Snowbee XD line matched up with the Beulah 7wt? I was able to put it over the fence with one back cast, very sweet line. Should have taken the chance to cast the Sharkskin to see what all the hype is about, maybe tomorrow.

Colin

Guys,

Roughness of fly lines ain't new. I have a silk line - small diameter, casts about 15% longer than plastic lines, lasts >20years and cost about $200.00 US.

Sure pleased that the plastic line guys are finally figuring out the rough part.

Don't fish the silk much - it casts better than I do so I stay with my Cortland 444's. The silk line sure is nice in the south AB winds. Cuts right through them.

catch ya'

Don

I'm with Don. 444s last well, goin g to my 4th year with my current one so a three year claim doesn't do much for me. As for the shooting, seriously, how often do you need to get out more than 50 feet when fishing for trout, especially dries or nymphs. You start to run into serious line control and striking issues. If you love new gear and throwing casts all over, fill your boots. Sharkskin sounds perfect for you.

OK Grampa......I am curious about the negative reception to this product...It seems to be a true advancement in technology....I am positive that there are places in the world where people still strike flints to make fire, but I prefer a FLAMETHROWER....Get with the times ..or not...

Hey, if you think you can buy a cast, go for it!!..........Or, maybe you can practice more with what you have and save the money!! :P :P

I don't think claims of durability are anything new in the fly line industry. Back in the 80's when I used the Cortland 444 and Lazer lines I've returned a couple of lines to Cortland after a couple of years of use when they cracked sooner than I expected, they were always replaced free of charge.

Funny thing is though, back then it never occurred to me that I needed to cast 80+ feet to catch a trout. ;)

Well I'm not sold on the Sharkskin line. I think I'll keep the Starwars line I got last year. It glows green (or red if your evil) and make a really neat VEEWOOOOT noise when I cast it.

I only caught one fish with it but it was a 36" Brown who also gave up the location of a rebel base....nice.

What did you think of that Snowbee XD line matched up with the Beulah 7wt? I was able to put it over the fence with one back cast, very sweet line. Should have taken the chance to cast the Sharkskin to see what all the hype is about, maybe tomorrow.

Colin

jeebus man tossed and turned all night..picked it up today..lk only took 3 or 4 cast and he was sold...

i did make a point to try it today with my own rod. i wanted to make the comparison with a rod i am used to casting and i already know what distances i can cast and effort needed, blah, blah, blah.

i say, no, it is not worth the price tag. yes i had a marginal increase in distance with a touch less effort than my regular line. the noise is really grating, i like to fish and have a quiet time not listen to the line run through my guides.

it was a little hard to gage the difference with roll casting but it did seem a little easier to roll cast as well.

i did ask a few different retailers about the effect of the roughness on the guides, i was assured that extensive studies and tests were done and there was no difference in guide wear.

for the rivers i fish with my 5wt, i like the line i have now just fine. am i sold on Sharkskin. no. would i give it another try, yes. would i spend the money on it, probably not

Colin

Snowbee XD line? I can't find it on their website. I take it that it's a single-hand line and not a spey?

Guest bigbadbrent
not trying to step on any toes here, just curious...but of those who voted yes, how many have actually TRIED the line rather than going off what they have heard?...

The exact question should be to those who put No..

last year i thought all you spey kids were nuts.....now look at me.