Fly Fusion Forums

Sharkskin @ Expo

I have a hard time imagining a plastic wearing down a Titanium/Chrome guide in a noticeable amount of time. If I had lots of money i would buy this line the science behind it just makes sense, although the cut finger thing is probably an issue.

yeah I got a couple rods that look like that wes but they have seen a heck of a lot of casting and they are not warrantyable so I try hard not to break em but theres no doubt that a line can wear out a guide....... I haven't tried the snakeskin though but it just seems to me that it will wear the guides faster..... But if you have a good lifetime warranty and worn guides bother you then you can always "accidently break" your rod and get a replacement for a relatively low price......

edit in - I would not let the guide thing turn me off the snakeskin but the finger burn thing has me wondering

It's dirt stuck to lines that does the wearing more so than the line itself...clean your lines regularly and your guides will last much longer...that said my lines are lucky to get cleaned 2 a yr... that why I stick to $40 Cortlands

Isn't the idea of Sharkskin this: less surface area=less friction?

Shouldn't less friction=less wear? <_<

As I said in the other post about sharkskin the line actually has increased surface area due to its roughness, but also because of the roughness there is less surface tension therefore less drag on the water. Now can I have my free line yet? :P

As I said in the other post about sharkskin the line actually has increased surface area due to its roughness, but also because of the roughness there is less surface tension therefore less drag on the water. Now can I have my free line yet? :P

You're right in that there's more surface area to the line, but there's less surface area that actually makes contact with the guides. Apparently in a SA test that continuously runs lines back and forth through a set of guides under tension, Sharksin causes less wear than a traditional line.

As for cutting your fingers, a wrap of duct tape or sports tape will solve that.

Guest bigbadbrent

I played with it a bunch today, including attempting to cut myself with it. It does leave a mark, when DRY. however, when i was casting it in the pond and got it wet, and reefed on it, i couldn't get a mark on my fingers...

So I went to spruce meadows thinking I'm going to look for a new Sharkskin line and found my old favorite SA ultra 4 for 35 bucks a spool and bought two on the spot. I won't be going shark skin any time soon now. Rick.

Just an FYI, I was speaking with the SA rep and asked about the guide wear. They test the line at SA by continuously running it through a metal guide material to measure the wear. What they found is that the regular line waers the guides faster than the sharkskin, likely because of the reduced friction.

He also mentioned that while he was testing the line over 3 days that his fingers suffered after stripping the line. If you use the line for any length of time, consider wearing a stripping glove or something.

What they found is that the regular line waers the guides faster than the sharkskin, likely because of the reduced friction.

the design of the Sharkskin is gonna pick up and hold-on to slit and other abrasives much better than a standard line .. how are these things gonna be to clean? you'll have to brush the junk from the grooves inch by inch with a toohbrush or somthing .. I stand by my decision : ah crap I'll probably get one