Fly Fusion Forums

New Reel... Opinions?

I feel somewhat alienated from the reel market. It seems that (unlike most gear) the rule "you get what you pay for" does not apply at all to this market. I've owned plenty of reels, and my favorite rang in at under 100 bucks and one of my least favorites was over 600 bucks.

Actually, my favorite was the BFR dragonfly, which is sadly now out of production. There are now all new reels from when I last looked and I don't know which ones are good and which are expensive paper weights. I see Ross has broken into the more budget market with the Flystart and the Flywater. Anyone have any experience with these? The old bottom model lamson was a decent reel, anyone know anything about the new Konic? Finally, has anyone heard anything about these Scierra reels?

BTW, if anyone has a BFR dragonfly in the 6wt range they want to sell let me know.

Guest bigbadbrent

I have a Ross flywater on my 5 weight, it's hard to beat a Ross reel for 130 bucks. The next step down would be the Ross Flycast, which i know Ladystrange has one, but she hasn't told me what she thinks, but she hasn't yelled at me for selling it to her, so she must like it.

You can't go wrong with Ross, period

was this reel made by dragonfly? or made by bfr ? as there is still BFR dragonfly reels available........

edit in see this link has em for sale..... also there is some large arbour BFR dragonfly reels if you google em.......

http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/ProductDetai.../productID/1796

Edit in again..... AHHH I thinka you might be right they might not be available anymore......

Ross reels are great...quality product and their customer service is great. Just used it for the second time this summer as one of my reels was starting to get a groove on the line guard (after 6 years of heavy use). They sent a new reel out (minus the spool).

There are a couple of reels that I would definitely recommend. You already mentioned Lamson reels, and I would stay with that if I were you. The Konic is a great reel with exactly the same drag system as their most expensive reels (like the Litespeed and the ULA Force). The conical drag is smooth, bulletproof, and does not require much maintenance (just leave it alone). I put my reels through a lot of abuse, and my Litespeed has stood up better than any of my other freshwater reels. The finish on these reels is extremely tough too. The Konic is probably a little less durable (cast instead of machined), but I think its the best bang for your buck out there. If you can afford it, I'd consider moving up to the Velocity (a really good looking reel).

Alternatively, look at the Sage 1600 and 1800 series reels. These are good Large Arbor reels that come in under $150.

Cheers.

I feel somewhat alienated from the reel market. It seems that (unlike most gear) the rule "you get what you pay for" does not apply at all to this market. I've owned plenty of reels, and my favorite rang in at under 100 bucks and one of my least favorites was over 600 bucks.

Actually, my favorite was the BFR dragonfly, which is sadly now out of production. There are now all new reels from when I last looked and I don't know which ones are good and which are expensive paper weights. I see Ross has broken into the more budget market with the Flystart and the Flywater. Anyone have any experience with these? The old bottom model lamson was a decent reel, anyone know anything about the new Konic? Finally, has anyone heard anything about these Scierra reels?

BTW, if anyone has a BFR dragonfly in the 6wt range they want to sell let me know.

Ross is always a good choice. Not sure that their entry level reels have the same unconditional warranty, Brent could probably answer that.

I've been fishing a couple of G. Loomis Venture reels for the last 3 or 4 years on my go to setup, and they've been great. I also fish Ross CLA, Tioga magnums, Orvis Battenkill and Mach LA, and a Reddington and all are great reels but for less than $125.00 you can't go wrong with a Venture.

Love the lightweight Lamson/Waterworks reels. I am looking to buy a Waterworks Purist reel. The $300 price tag is worth it for a ULA reel that weighs 2.7 oz. Aerospace aluminum. I used one last summer and the after a long days casting, my arm wasn't tired at all. Some of those Pflueger/Islander reels look nice, but are just too heavy for my liking. And the Hardy Marksman at 2.5 oz. is the lightest on the market.

I have a BFR Dragonfly....it was set down and never picked up again somewhere on the upper Elbow...sigh...

Even though I fish a LA Battenkill I think the Pflugher Trion is a great value for the price.

I'll trade you for my Teton Tioga which is somewhere at the bottom of Police Outpost lake :lol:

Crogg, you have a pm

Ross, as many have mentioned make a high quality reel. I have a Cimmaron2 and a spare spool for over 7 years. Thet were about 220 bucks back then but I see they are around 140 now. Well worth it.

I do fish Galvan reels now and like them more. however, they were in the 350 range.