Fly Fusion Forums

Buying Flies

I was wondering what the recommendations for where to buy flies are. I do tie my own, but recently I haven’t had the time. I'm quite a slow tier (sort of a perfectionist) but I don't like using scrappy flies.

I know there are going to be some sales in a couple of months and where do you think the best price will be? Troutfitters is really expensive (like 2.50 a fly! for ten flies its over $25). I actually considered buying them from crappy tire, however they looked quite cheep so I went against it. I mostly but my stuff from Russels but I don't know if there prices are good because I have nothing really to compare them to.

I also thought about ordering them on line however I guess I'm old fashioned but I prefer to hand pick them. (+ I don't trust some of the sites and what if I get really crappy flies)

Any big sales were there would be some deals on to get cheap flies?

I'll pay a few cents more for that kind of help.

I'm not debating whether they’re helpful at trout fitters or not. I said in my original post I was looking for a lot of cheap flies w/ moderate quality. I personally think the folks at trout fitters are very helpful :) but if I bought 100 flies from them at 2.50 each that would mean over $250 spent! (I'd rather but that towards a rod or something, hell that’s more than my current rod and reel!)

Thanks for the tips everyone I’ve heard there's a few sales so maybe I'll pick some flies up then.

:)

I'd say buy from Icky. Save yourself some $$ and support a board member. Besides, they wouldn't sell something that doesn't work well, they are a good bunch with good product. Thanks a ton to the board members who suggested using board members based on experience.

I bought a couple of hundred dollars worth of flies from Glenbow last July. I was quite happy with them and found them to be excellent quality. You won't be disappointed.

BTW, don't you guys get quantity discounts on flies at the shops in Calgary?

I buy a crapload of flys from Glenbow. Way to easy and they catch fish....... Plus he's my best fishin buddy. But that said some really special/complex or local patterns might only be available at 1 or 2 shops in which case ya just gotta bite the bullet and buy a dozen or so

I bought a couple of hundred dollars worth of flies from Glenbow last July. I was quite happy with them and found them to be excellent quality. You won't be disappointed.

I did too and they are very good quality (I should know. I'm the 2007 KOTV ;) ). My only complaint (sorry Glenbow) is that his size selection isn't that large (hey. Inventory is expensive). But its good enough to stock your box with patterns in the right size that will catch fish.