Fly Fusion Forums

Fluorocarbon Vs. Mono

I like the abrasion resistance of fluoro and I find that the knots are no problem as long as you wet them well. Triple surgeon's for the mono-fluoro connection - or, my new favorite - just a swivel between the two.

A 50m spool of Rio Fluoroflex is $13 at FT and is my favorite mono. If you want to save $$ you can go with P-Line or Vanish, but you get much thicker line for the same strength.

One interesting aspect is that fluoro doesn't biodegrade as readily as mono, but for the amounts I use I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I've done a lot of sightfishing in gin clear water in BC and have found that the fluoro makes a HUGE difference there. Many times I've watched fish turn away 3' from a mono leader and inhale a fly without hesitation if it's tied to fluoro.

hey dude mono has stretch, floats more and is more visable under water....fluoro has no stretch sinks and is less visable underwater..i use nylon...left field i no..but if u like mono stick with it...if them bullies are turning u down it may be best too have soem fluoro in ur pocket for the quick switch...same with droppers under hoppers...thats teh only times i use fluoro....its key in key situations

I only tried a fluoro leader once and didn't notice enough of a difference to justify the extra expense. In my mind, using a mono leader with fluoro tippet gives you a best of both worlds scenario. You get a bit of shock absorption with the mono, but the fluoro tippet is a bit stronger, doesn't float, and is less visible underwater. I tend to use fluoro tippet for nymphs and streamers since it sinks and mono for dries since it floats.

Being down South and most likely fishing in the wind a lot, I'd say you would be better off with Flouro. It definitely holds up better in windy conditions and you'll get less wind knots as well.

It's also better when using big flies IMO, so when using those big Bullie Streamers, it will not only be less visible, it will sink faster.

If you are only going to be using a leader with no tippet, you might want to stick with plain old Mono though because Flouro leaders aren't cheap. If you go to Flouro leaders and start using tippet to extend the length of time you get out of the leaders, you should use Flouro tippets to match, which in turn adds to the overall cost of changing over to Flouro.

In the end, I'd say if you are catching fish with what you are using now, just stay with it.

Guest bigbadbrent

Doesn't break down, so birds will eat and get tangled up in it. Me and Rick saw a duck going down the river tangled in line this fall, it was a sad sight...something i'd rather not be guilty of.

Guest bigbadbrent

Did i say that it was?

Prove to me it wasn't?

exactly.

I've seen dead birds next to trees that are wrapped IN fluoro...and yes, i identified the line as fluoro

One day, I was out fishing on the Bow and using a large Fish Pimp indicator in some slow, flat water. I was yarding out casts too 70'-80', but the high line speed and torque of the Spey casts, sent the Fish Pimp flying off the Fluro leader. I figured it would eventually drift back into shore and I would grab it before I left. A few minutes later, a duck swims over and eats my Fish Pimp!

A couple of days later, I'm back at the same spot and find my indicator on the shoreline in a pile of you know what. I figured that was one Lucky Duck, so it became my new Lucky Indicator. I slipped it back on and slammed a two foot Broonie, the very next cast!

And the moral of the story is...

Who gives a Duck!

I went back to that same spot a couple times, to see if my Lucky Indy was gonna work it's charm again, but I did'nt catch another fish. I even tried getting one of the Ducks to eat it again, but no way, was'nt going to happen.

Then I figured, maybe one of the geese might eat it, so I wandered off in search of a hungry goose. Did'nt take long to find a big Gander bobbin' along the tall grassy bank, so I stopped and threw my Lucky Indicator in the water, upstream of the Goose and watched it lazily flow along the bank, downstream to the target. The goose stops feeding as the Indi nears and I can't believe I'm doing this. The goose lowers his head and starts billing the water as the Fish Pimp approaches and is now only a foot away when suddenly, the big Broonie breaks the water and in a savage strike, that terrifies the goose, grabs the indie and turns back down....

to be continued....

fishing line on teh ground can be anything i bet..most seems too be big spools of mono from spin fishing reels from waht ive seen.........

fluro negative andy would be its sinks, dont stretch and cost asmuch as the ice on a pimps neck...apples or oranges? i carry a little of both and after from what a few memebr have posted..may carry a little more...or less.....in certain situations

fishing line on teh ground can be anything i bet..most seems too be big spools of mono from spin fishing reels from waht ive seen.........

fluro negative andy would be its sinks, dont stretch and cost asmuch as the ice on a pimps neck...apples or oranges? i carry a little of both and after from what a few memebr have posted..may carry a little more...or less.....in certain situations

cost is much reduced if you buy 100 or 300 foot spools of Vanish line (for spincasters) rather than little spools of specialized flyfishing flourocarbon tippet :lol: I carry a 4 and 6 lb 100 foot spool.as rusty mentioned, using a barrell swivel eliminates the biggest problem ( flouro to monofil knots). buy vanish line, use barrell swivels and there are no downsides( other than biodegradability) to flouro when nymphing/streamer fishing . as max mentioned it sinks more than flouro so it can drag small dries under but a little floatant along the final 8 inches of flouro tippet seems to minimize/eliminate this problem. definitely a product that works. tested a theory one day on pigeon lake while spin casting in late august . had two rods set up .one with monfil and one with vanish. same lures.same angler/techniques. flouro outfished mono at least 2 to 1.

Just to clarify the terminology. Neither Fluorocarbon or monofilament can biodegrade. Both will have UV degradation at different rates.

I prefer using Vanish, as well. Personally, I find the strength/abrasion resistance a key factor in using it.