Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Brown

ladystrange

Terrific fly girl, your tying is spot on, I'd use this fly over here no problem, when I get a minute I'll tie you a traditional pattern called a " Waterhen Bloa " it's very easy but I don't know whether you can source the materials, the dressing is as follows

Hook: #14 down eye

Thread: Yellow UTC

Body: A tiny pinch of young mole fur

Hackle: The feather is from the underside of the Moorhens wing

Basically you run the thread to just opposite the barb on the hook, you then dub the thread with very fine mole fur and wind it to just before the eye, then tie in the hackle by the tip, then wind on no more than three turns, tie off and whip finish, a very good winter/spring fly,

I'll post a photo tomorrow for you

Tightlines

i'm pretty sure i dont have moorhens wing. oddly, i do have mole. finally i have found a use for it.

do you have a pic of the moorhens wing? i think i have grey partridge.

thanks for the pictures. when i get home next week i will try some different patterns. i have seen the recipe for different bloa but for the most part i dont have the materials for them.

i'm pretty sure i dont have moorhens wing. oddly, i do have mole. finally i have found a use for it.

do you have a pic of the moorhens wing? i think i have grey partridge.

thanks for the pictures. when i get home next week i will try some different patterns. i have seen the recipe for different bloa but for the most part i dont have the materials for them.

I will post the photo for you maybe tomorrow, need batteries for the camera, but basically it's a dark brown wing, the advantage of the moorhen is the waterproof qualities, but you can use the wing feather from a hen blackbird, or a darkish starling breast feather, they do work quite well, there are other Bloas that use Snipe, grouse, and brown partridge, preferably english and not french, we are coming to the end of our shooting season here or I could have bagged a few for you, but I'll see what the lads have up for grabs and let you know :)

i have grouse and wing of a little black bird that we ended up calling a starling but not really sure about that. the others i dont have. or if i do, i dont know it.

i picked up a few boxes from an estate with a bunch of stuff in it, some of it a little odd - like the mole hair.

Please don't tale ofence but i found this pattern in an old 1908 tying book for a winter brown, so I've dreesed one

Hook 16 to 12 fine

Thread pearsalls scarlett

Wing inner covert feather from a young woodcock

Thorax green tinged peacock herl

Head tied thread

010-3.jpg

The book was by a GW Gallican

hey kerry, will be there both days. i am tying at the superfly or northern lights table in the afternoons with the hook and hackle club. i have a few things for you as well. my saturday shift starts at one.

Fishietales - nice tie. thanks. the picture i had was a little different and used orange instead of scarlet. i have modern silk floss in scarlet. i will try a few. see how it goes.