Fly Fusion Forums

Running Line

alhuger

I went out and picked up some running line today to repair my Elixer line. Upon receiving my Elixer line I was taking it out of the bag and after untying the twist ties I dropped it on the floor, sounds harmless right? Well, not for me! I managed to turn it into a birds nest and had to cut out a big chunk just shy of the head. So rather than try line surgery and end up with a huge knot by the head (I do not have deft hands when it comes to knots) I opted to buy some mono-shooting line. I actually got the idea from Max. I picked up some Ken Sawada shooting line (35 lb test) and it looks like it will shoot like a dream and the knot is very small so it should not catch much on the guide. I am pretty concerned though about this becoming a nightmare when I have X feet of it unspooled to shoot. It has a pretty strong memory and this looks like a recipe for a coiled up mess. Max, you have any issues? Anyone have some advice for avoiding a knotfest?

-al

hey dude i havnt had enough time fishing it too really speak strongly about it but i stretch the line i plan too shoot before i cast too take the coils out of it...i think it might be a little easier too manage if u were in the water versus the icy banks of the bow for snagging on stuff at you feet..or a stripping basket maybe...

I have used shooting heads on single handers for decades, and mono is not my choice any more. Sure it gives you a bit more distance but it tangles easily and is more difficult to control a large fish with bare hands. Sub freezing you don't want to be stripping line anyway. The floating running lines which are just level floating fly lines, they coil better and are easier to handle without a stripping basket. When I'm seriously throwing the shooting heads, I always use a stripping basket with a coil plate in the bottom.

basket.jpg

Badger,

That is exactly the type of experience I was hoping to draw on, thanks allot. I think I will try it but plan to pick up some running line and perhaps I might splice it with the mono line. I am trying to avoid a catch on the last guide as I am tying it pretty much within a foot or two of the rear of the head and I do not want to interrupt it when it's shooting out.

-al

Guest bigbadbrent

i use mono

I like it, because you can stretch it out of loops (using a line straightener) when its cold out, while stretching normal running line doesn't go so well, and for fishing the bow, i'm not too worried about a big fish hurting me with my running line (they're not steelhead..and since my line is an ex-steelheaders, i think it will be fine)

i use mono

I like it, because you can stretch it out of loops (using a line straightener) when its cold out, while stretching normal running line doesn't go so well, and for fishing the bow, i'm not too worried about a big fish hurting me with my running line (they're not steelhead..and since my line is an ex-steelheaders, i think it will be fine)

Well, I am mostly concerned about coiling, perhaps it is this particular running line. As for the line itself, this line is for fishing for salmon and I am quite certain my fingers would be shredded if I held on to flat (like a ribbon) mono with a spring or a sockeye on my line.

-al

Guest bigbadbrent

I dunno honestly, guys that fish tarpon (run faster then salmon..) who use the 50lb gel spun dacron, and do just fine.....(hell, you could cut urself in half with that stuff)

I dunno honestly, guys that fish tarpon (run faster then salmon..) who use the 50lb gel spun dacron, and do just fine.....(hell, you could cut urself in half with that stuff)

Brent,

No offense but I've caught salmon and I have my finger cut deeply by regular old running line, I am not speculating. Likely the guys fishing tarpon know better than to keep their finger on the line during the run same caution you might show w/ gel spun.

-al

I've heard too many stories about guys cutting their fingers down to the bone using gelspun backing. I was talking about Gord at West Winds about using gelspun backing today to fit an Elixir line on a Danielsson LW 6nine. He told me he won't even use gelspun on any of his reels and he fishes in the tropics a few times a year. On the plus side, gelspun will cauterize the cut at the same time :P

Guest bigbadbrent

Hell, i have gelspun on my 5 weight.

Gelspun just leaves SO much more room, you can put like an extra 150 yards of gelspun instead of just regular dacron

Guest bigbadbrent
why do you need more room? I often wish my backing was a bit thicker so it would be easier to handle.......

faster winding rate

Ahhhhhh well I could see that being a reason if one spent a lot of time with a full fly line and 50 yards of backing out on a regular arbour reel...... but if you have a large arbour reel the difference to begin with will be minimal and unless you are into your backing the difference would be non existant. I can sorta see the reason on a steelhead or salmon reel when you stand a good chance of a fish running you 50-200 Meters into your backing but honestly it doesn't seem to make any sense at all for trout fishing spey rod or not....... Plus if a fish ever takes me into the backing I am chasing it down the river. I dunno I just don't see the point for around here...... In fact I would love a 200 foot+ fly line that fills my large arbour reel without backing...... I would use that for 95% of my fishing.

Guest bigbadbrent

I rarely get to my backing, but when i do, i feel like i need all the speed i can get on the retrieve, even when i am running after the fish....

If I'm lake fishing, im usually within 10-20 feet of my backing at all times anyway, so usually on a better size fish, i'm into my backing within the first run....hard to chase a fish thats going straight out and i'm shore bound!

And it's not like having 'too much' backing is a bad thing...it just might not be a better thing..whatever floats the boat.

Also, using gelspun can put you a reel size smaller while still using a bigger line, aka less weight, so if you're looking for better balance.

Al;

Depending on where you cut that line there are several ways to fix it without having a loop junction. You can use a 6' piece of Braided running line to join both ends,make sure that the fly line butts to each end inside the sleeve.. Nail Knot one end of the braided sleeve,stretch a bit and nail know the other end. If you are not in a hurry apply a dab of Aquaseal or similar product over each nail knot/braid end. I use this method out in the Ocean for Salmon and other Pacific creatures and have had no issues. Aside from the noise of the braid slideing throught he guides you would never know. Mono running lines are a pain in the ass...same as Mono Core Fly Lines...except in the tropics!

Al,

what type of knot did you use to attach the mono shooting line to your old existing running line?? I run my Skagit and M/S set up with Slick shooter and nail knot the SS to the running line...Very small knot and the slick shooter has very little friction...What it lacks in friction though it does make up in memory for the first few cast on a cold day....I find if i pull the SS through my hand a few times coils go away and I'm good for the day..(most shooting lines need this anyway).... With out line control it does not matter if your using the stock running line or any other type of shooting line your coils when stripping need to be neat and counted down or your going to shoot a massive clump of tangled line into your guides..By this I mean counting your strips......I usually count the # of strips then coil then count down from there.

Al,

what type of knot did you use to attach the mono shooting line to your old existing running line?? I run my Skagit and M/S set up with Slick shooter and nail knot the SS to the running line...Very small knot and the slick shooter has very little friction...What it lacks in friction though it does make up in memory for the first few cast on a cold day....I find if i pull the SS through my hand a few times coils go away and I'm good for the day..(most shooting lines need this anyway).... With out line control it does not matter if your using the stock running line or any other type of shooting line your coils when stripping need to be neat and counted down or your going to shoot a massive clump of tangled line into your guides..By this I mean counting your strips......I usually count the # of strips then coil then count down from there.

Hey Mykiss, I used a nail knot, thanks for the advice as well.

Toolman,

I regret to say that it has been a month since my last outing.....Pretty weak I know... however chinooks have been a rare thing this winter and between work and the call to the mountains to go downhill very fast with two missles on my feet I have suffered on my winter outings...however I am going through fishing withdrawals these days big time.. Also waiting for my Meiz's to get back to me as I sent 1 in for repairs and the other in for a lil' work on the cork. So when I get em back I'll be back in the saddle.

Maxwell,

My standard retrieve is strip 8 times coil around my pointer finger, strip 6 times coil around my middle finger, strip 4 times coil around my ring finger. Depending on how much line I am shooting depends on how long the strip is.... Obviously with a longer shoot the strips are longer say 2 1/2 Ft to 3 ft long the shorter the shoot then 2 ft strips..... As I load up the cast and begen to shoot line I open my hand up to allow the line to shoot as I pull the butt of the rod into my chest with my palm... Kinda a version of a underhand cast. Should also say that this retieve is with my skagit set up not my M/S. Hope that makes sense. :huh: