Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Fisheries Education Session

Excellent discussion. Gave me some valuable insights into some aspects of this situation I had not considered, or was not aware of. It was quite surprising to discover that the pressure on the spring highwood run was a negligible factor in the decline of the rainbows, as was winter fishing. Both of those facts went against my perception that they were far more important factors than they actually turn out to be. Very interesting information.

• 2 years later...

Oh wow, the Bow River Fisheries education session was such a cool experience! It's awesome to learn about local wildlife and the importance of preserving our natural habitats. For any students looking to dive deeper into topics like environmental conservation, I totally recommend checking out resources like https://essaypro.com/assignment-writing-service. They're great for getting help with writing assignments on complex topics. It makes understanding and explaining all these important issues so much easier! Plus, you end up with a killer essay that’s both informative and super engaging. Definitely a win-win!

Why such a focus on reducing angler catch rates? If we are trying to reduce the amount of times each fish is caught per year, shouldn't we be trying to increase fish numbers rather than reducing angler hours and catch rates. Their data, and most angler's personal experience is the bow river has a good percentage of big fish. However, their slide on Recycle Rates claims a ratio >2 will result in fewer big fish seems to contradict that statement. With the Bow river currently over 5 on recycle ratio, are we as anglers willing to catch 5x less fish, to get to their numbers? Shouldn't their be further look at increasing numbers via habitat improvements? Rip-Rapping banks, widely fluctuating water levels, and apparently less consistent  and prolific hatches all seem like they should be considered just as much or more than angler success. 

• Like 1