Fly Fusion Forums

Now We're Up To Two

Folks,

With the talk about Police Outpost, I thought it was time to pass along what is happening with regards to the newest C&R lake in Alberta.

It is located south of Caroline Alberta and is stocked with triploids. [ another Alberta first]. The stocking was light @ 900 fish. The aeration is in place temporarily with gen sets supplying power until a power line is installed. Lake access and parking lot will be done in 2008. The lake is called Fiesta Lake and is located @ 51 49 40N 114 43 30W.

It will be in the regulations in 2008.

Fiesta lake was one of the 5 that we have determined that would be suitable for "quality fisheries" within the Sundre/Dayton Valley corridor.

Not to confuse anyone. The "we" in the above sentence was myself and a friend + SRD folks who took lake depths, O2 levels, determined public access et al in order to figure out which lakes would be suitable. We didn't find many. Of the 30+ we looked @, only 5 had the required conditions.

And the big question is why are the two C&R lakes in central Alberta?

And there are @ least 2 south of Pincher Creek that are similar.

catch ya'

Don

Guest tallieho

yes thanks for your efforts.there was an effort put forward to have dipping vat added to the mix.but with the hearings & the uproar from the locals & the landowner ,efforts focused on police lake.we down here in the south need to learn from your experiences,what with beaver,ironside & now fiesta you fellas deserve a hugh thank-you thank-you

Good on ya Don for getting the SRD folks onside with C&R for this one......I'll look forward to a trip up there this summer to try this one as well as Ironside.....I know when Barry was down in the fall, prior to the Roundtables, it was looking doubtful that total C&R would be forthcoming...........I agree that while delayed harvest is a good step, there needs to be more C&R lakes and with the proposed quality fisheries discussions which will take place in the coming months as a result of the SRD position paper on this issue, perhaps there can be more.......I think mentality is changing and there is a better sense among the entire angling fraternity that not every body of water needs to be governed by the same regs and that CHOICE is required.......Ice fishing, filling the smoker now and then and dangling a worm on a lazy afternoon are all good choices..........But so is fishing for a large fish where the requirement is to put them back..........I think AF&G are coming around thanks to Maurice and others and SR&D seem to be very responsive which is terrific.......I think the future looks bright for more choices for anglers in Alberta........

Al...

Guest bigbadbrent

PMD, triploids get bigger, as they have been genetically engineered to not want to spawn, so they put all of their energy into getting bigger, not making eggs.