Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Building

Conor

I have a couple rod building projects this winter. Does anyone have some tips on local suppliers and/or Canadian companies? I remember talking to a supplier in the Calgary area, but I don't remember the name (maybe John of G&L?).

I saw kingfisher's profile yesterday and he had a website in his profile that sells rod building supplies and he is in Calgary. I saw he advertised in the for sale section selling fishing antennas.

guito

Fishtales is great. I broke the top section on my 1wt Dan Craft (because I wrapped the guides too tightly - not hard to do on a 1wt) and they shipped one in for me on a "warranty", even though they didn't sell me the original blank.

I don't think they sell ferrules. Thats where Don would come in handy (once again).

Fishtales is great. I broke the top section on my 1wt Dan Craft (because I wrapped the guides too tightly - not hard to do on a 1wt) and they shipped one in for me on a "warranty", even though they didn't sell me the original blank.

I don't think they sell ferrules. Thats where Don would come in handy (once again).

Was the rod you built "The One" (6' 10'' 3 pc). Been looking at building up this blank, but already have a nice 2 wt. What's it like?

Thanks all. More than enough info.

Don- I think I have got most of what I need for the cane rod. I am doing a one piece for the first blank to keep cost down and simplify the process a bit. Thanks, though. I will look you up if I am short something.

Was the rod you built "The One" (6' 10'' 3 pc). Been looking at building up this blank, but already have a nice 2 wt. What's it like?

I built "The One" a few years ago and I love it. I use a 1wt. Rio Pocketwater line which loads the rod very well, even with only the leader and a couple feet of line. I actually fish a mine alot with size 8-10 foam hoppers and beetles and it can handle them with no problem. It still casts well in a bit of a breeze but if the wind really gets up it will become a problem.

I would say go ahead and build it up Bloom, I'm not sure what it sells for now but I only paid $65 for the blank when I got mine. You will love the rod and at that price you cant go wrong.