Fly Fusion Forums

How Many Spring Creeks Are There In Alberta?

Guest bigbadbrent

as borat would say,

wa woo we wah!

There are hundreds of spring creeks, most are just too small to be noticed by the majority of people. Hell, two summers ago we found a spring right next to cataract (literally bubbling up just to the side), which was awesome (we drank right out of it, as it was 40 degrees and we had drank all of our water)

best water i've ever had

i think he is talking about creaks that are open year round. There is another one around the caroline area called Clear Creak. It supposidly has Brown,Brook, and Bull however when i attempted to fish it i found nothing, nothing, nothing in terms of fish and fishy looking water. Mind you i did find 2 dead bloated cows beside the stream. However i did talk to an old fly fisherman who said that the fishing is awesome if you can make the trek to the point at which is comes to the surface in the middle of a farmers field. I was to discouraged to look for it, as i found it pointless to waste time on a stream when the raven, and prairie creek are only 20min max away.

Thanks Dustin, I had heard about that one too, somewhere, the Barry Mitchell guide I think. Sounded so cool, but now I'm not so eager to try it out.

There are many places in Alberta where spring water flows into glacial melt streams, keeping things ice-free all year, but not too many actual spring creeks big enough to hold trout.

Also, if I knew of one that hadn't already been listed on this thread, I probably wouldn't share. :P

I'm talking about streams you can't step across and that might be open in the winter or early spring. Is the Dogpound a spring creek? - It sort of looks like one when you out are out there. I'm not looking for secret streams- just decent sized spring creeks that might have open water.

Guest bigbadbrent
And, of course, Palmer Ranch which we never seem to hear about on this board.

Dunno how many are willing to drop 500 for a day of pond fishin

the crowsnest comes from crowsnest lake....

And a good part of the water from Crowsnest Lake comes from a cave on the Northwest shore of the lake. Rumour has it the source of the karst spring is Phillips Lake, which lies to the north in Phillips Pass behind Crowsnest Ridge.

karst

Never thought about it 'till your post but Mill Creek in the SW is a karst stream since sizable partions of it disappear underground, guess that could qualify Mill as a spring crik.

Guest Sundancefisher
I'm talking about streams you can't step across and that might be open in the winter or early spring. Is the Dogpound a spring creek? - It sort of looks like one when you out are out there. I'm not looking for secret streams- just decent sized spring creeks that might have open water.

I have walked the Dogpound from headwaters down. There are springs in the upper reaches. A lot of bull trout spawning creeks have springs that help regulate temperature. Some main ones are closed to fishing.

My biggest brookie in Alberta from a creek was almost 18 inches from the Dogpound. I electrofished it one year but we could not get access further up to gauge brookie size. Nice browns but I heard low water and high water temperatures have done a number on the population.